Am I overreacting?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TacomaPrime, Mar 20, 2011.

1. TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Let me start by saying, my wife and I aren't having kids. We just don't have the patience for it, plus I'm too selfish. That doesn't mean we hate kids or anything, just don't want them.

So I have a man cave in my basement. I spent my hard earned money making it the way I want it. Bought a Huge TV, nice surround sound speakers, receiver and blu ray player. I also put up shelves to put my transformers on. I spend my hard earned money on my transformers too, and have some expensive ones. 2010 unicron, all my fansproject stuff....

Anyway, so last night my wife invited our neighbor and her kids over to watch a movie. The kids are a girl aged 4 and a boy aged 6 I think. I told my wife I didn't care if they came over as long as the kids don't touch anything downstairs. So they come over, and immediately the boy wants to play with all my transformers. His mom at first told him no, but then got distracted with something, don't know what. So I asked him nicely not to touch anything. Next he stands on his chair and proceeds to tell me that my display has the transformers in the wrong order and I need to move them. I told him they were fine and weren't being moved. He starts walking from shelf to shelf either touching or getting as close as he can to the toys. I wasn't really mad about that, I was more mad that the mother didn't say anything, when she knew that was my rule.
    I don't spend my money on the stuff in my man cave for other peoples kids to come over and play with, if I wanted that, I would have my own kids. I spend my money on those things to make me happy, for me to enjoy. I don't go over to other peoples houses and just start touching all their stuff, or breaking the rules of the house that they have. The mom says the kid has some kind of behavioral issues, I think she is simply making excuses, since she coddles the damn kid horribly. The girl still sucks on a pacifier. Oh and we were watching finding nemo, but we had to skip the first chapter because the barracuda was too scary.

Am I overreacting? I don't know, I just think that kids these days are coddled too much, and need to listen to people when they put rules in place.

2. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    No, that your house, your stuff, your cave!

3. Kuma Style

Kuma Style On Military Leave TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    It's on your wife to lay out rules and whatnot if she's inviting people over. You shouldn't have to say anything if they're her guests.

4. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    well, nothing was broken right? so that's good.

as for the mom, maybe talk to her about the rules beforehand and make sure she knows that your toys aren't for her kids to play with. but ultimately if the mother doesn't do anything, then stop inviting them over i guess.

also, you've gotta remember that to a 6 year old kid they see your toy room as the coolest playland ever, and you've gotta let them know that's not it. maybe have a few other toys or a section that the kids can play with? you could totally groom the kid into a kickass collector someday, and he may need a good role model if the mom isn't paying attention to him and if dad is out of the picture.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Maybe you did have them in the wrong order.

I would have asked for his input, just to see what he said.

6. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, I think you're over-reacting. These are toys for kids. Not some holy grail. You sound decidedly anti-children as well which is a tad ironic that your "man cave" is filled with kids toys.

7. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Yeah, you're overreacting. The kid didn't really DO anything. I thought you were going to say he snuck away and broke half of them or something.

8. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Your house, your rules. Other people need to respect that. So, no you did not overreact.

When my kids have their friends over they know that daddy's toy room is off limits. I've never had an issue with kids touching stuff they are not allowed to.

9. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Brah, you have to be upfront and sorta rude about it! its the only way people remember. Whenever we have company with kids, the first thing I say is, " see those?, they cost alot of money and if your kid breaks em, you buy em". and let them know to get comfortable and enjoy the visit.

Oh! And I have 2 kids, 3 and 5, they dont touch my transformers.

10. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, no. Who cares.

Would it hurt you to humor the kid some- no.

But you're honest with yourself about how you feel, and you let the guests know the expectations. It's not your responsibility to go the extra mile (although it never hurts).

But it is a slippery slope. It starts off with you rearranging a couple transformers for the kid, and a couple Capri Suns later your $100 dollar Unicron has his arm ripped off and your FP toys are covered in buggers and slobber.

Like I said, Yes, No. Try not to be too inflexible, but I wouldn't say you were out of line either.

11. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Yes, you're overreating. You set yourself up for this. What you need to do is have extra toys that aren't part of the shelved collection to distract the kids with. Give them something, and they won't go for the shelves.

Also, common psychology: tell someone "no" and they want to do it even more. Like I said, you set yourself up for failure.

12. THEdeathsHEAD

THEdeathsHEAD Lockdown's #1 Fan

My parents have their friends over and I'm left to babysit,in the end I end up having to put my bots back together.My masterpiece prime is never gonna be fixed again because one of my parents friends brought their 5 year-old over and he grabbed it off the shelf I had it on, and started slamming it on the floor. I told him not to touch anything 8 times. :( 

As for the thread,You're lucky nothin's broke. :eek: 

EDIT: I lock my room when company with little kids are over.

13. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    I know a few of my friends kids that I wouldn't let near my Transformers. I have seen the toys (rather the parts of toys) that I have given them as presents. For them, it is a toy, and toys are to be played with, and some kids played rougher with toys than others. I remember a birthday where my neighbor picked up a gobot I got and chucked it. I also remember that their house was messy as hell. I love kids (will probably never have any of my own for some of the same reasons you mentioned), and all my friend's kids adore me, but they know my rules, and I know how some of their kids are. It is tough to lay down the law with other people's kids (especially when it comes to toys). I would just try to keep them away as much as possible. Each parent has their different style of parenting, and as much as we don't agree with it sometimes, it is not my place to question the way they raise their kids (unless they were verbally/physically abusing them or not caring for them physically/mentally/clenliness). I think it is best to know you cant have them around your collectibles if they can't keep their grubby hands off them. When it comes to other people's kids, I think it is better to avoid certain things than risk losing the friendship. But I don't think you over-reacted, at the same time, the kid doesn't know it cost $150, or probably even what $150 looks like.

14. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    so those of you that say he is over reacting, it would be ok it was a gun collection then? you cant say one way or the other if the parents would still say NO and they would not touch them.

whatever the collection is everyone has a right to spend their money on said items and ask that people do not touch them. i dont see the big deal.

i wouldnt. whether kids or not its about respect and obviously the parent of said kids did not respect your wishes. i would have told the kids straight up not to touch my stuff.

too many times have i seen parents in public turn a blind eye and let them run around in stores, restaurants touching things they shouldnt.

15. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Man, I kicked my 7yo niece outta my room today because she touched Legends Starscream....and I don't care about that figure....lol you were in the right.

16. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    The reason why the bulk of my TF collection is now sitting in a warehouse storage...

So I'm the ONLY ONE whom have access to 'em. :dunce 

But I do have some pieces lying about here & there all over the place but Junior's way too young to even have an interest in 'em so I'm rather safe for now. :p 

But when he's coming to age, I'm gonna tell him that while he has his toys, respect the fact that I've mine & we shouldn't cross each other's "boundary"...

17. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I think it's hard to expect you can put any 6 year old in a room full of toys and think they are going to sit quietly and not want to touch anything.

18. soundwaveprime1

soundwaveprime1 Well-Known Member

your house, your rules.
    I hope nothing that kid touched is sticky(the worst thing next to it getting broken)

19. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    nope, i have the same rules, but i also have some for them to play with off the shelves, and if i show them the collection, i'll let them pick one off the display for me to show them the transformation if they ask. then give them the trans-distractions and out of the toy room we go lol

20. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

I don't think you are over reacting, but I wouldn't of allowed them in the house in the first place, least of all in any of my collectible areas.