Am I overreacting? Kids and transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bathawk, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Bathawk

Bathawk Well-Known Member

My mom drops by on occassion. Which is great i love my mom. But she brings over my two year old nephew for reasons unrelated about thsi rant.

Now my Nephew loves cars. So without a single pause my mom scoops up about a dozen transformers off the shelf and gives them to the Nephew to play with, though he only wants cars, even asking my Mom to put Generations starscram, generations dirge, and Prime Wheeljack back (I had just gotten him, and he was still in robot mode).

During his last two visits he scapped generations hound's gun off his peg, and then during todays visit took EFC Optimus and bent the gun to point of breakage.

My mom actualy asked me why it should bother me so much. It's not like a two year old knows what he's doing (she says this as she gives him solar storm Grappel as a "replacement")

I was kind of stunned. Obviously i can't be upet with the kid becauseif he dosne't know how to wipe his own backside, he obviously can't be expected to careful with other people's stuff. But I'm not even allowed to be annoyed? I should still encourage him to play/break with whatever? I fugured as long as I bottled up my emotions, I still had the right to "not like it" wether it's broken Tf's or he tossess my PS3 down the staricase

...one things for sure, if he dosen't liek to play with robots, I'm changign them all to robot mode this weekend

2. Secretcode

Secretcode Keeper of Encarta Veteran

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    - Childproof your collection. Put them in areas he can't get to.
    - Buy him some toys. Toy cars, Rescue Bots, whatever.
    - Remember overall: He's just a kid.

3. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I think the problem lies less with the kid and more with your mom. Why is she okay with giving him things that are your property? Why do you allow her to?

Same thing actually happened with me when I was still living with my parents. My mom used to babysit the neighbor's kid, and he would always want to see my Transformers collection (which at that time mostly consisted of Binaltechs). My mom insisted he "wouldn't touch them, he'd never do that." Yeah. "He accidentally toppled them over, it was an accident!" Suuuure.

Just because you're her son doesn't mean it's okay for her to let kids play with your stuff. Learn to say "no".

4. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    You should point out the Ages 5 and up label on the box.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Tell her "these aren't for play. Especially not at his age. Do you want him to hurt himself?"

Offer to keep a couple toys around for your nephew, if he's over on a regular basis, but for her, even as your mother, to treat your property that way, and then remain incredulous when you get offended shows a lack of respect for you as an adult.

Comedy option: Take her car keys out of her purse and give them to your nephew to play with.

6. Spin-Out

Spin-Out "It's just... Asinine."

That's why I when my kid cousins are around, I only let them play with them if they let me transform them.

My cousin's really good at understanding that, thankfully.

7. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

It's your shit, your home, your rules. You can get mad at someone breaking your shit, especially if you didn't want them handling it to begin with. Your mother's a visitor and so is the kid. Remember that. Don't let matriarchy or being child-friendly deprive you of your self-interest.

You can't take it with you, but it don't grow on trees either.

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Get your mother to give you a massive security deposit anytime she or the kid are coming to visit.

The thing is it doesn't matter if it's Transformers or anything else. It's your home and your belongings and your wishes and property should be respected.

Seriously, explain to your mother the personal and cash value of your figures and why you'd be pissed if anything bad happened to them. Does she have anything at her home she values a lot? A particular item of furniture she'd rather a dirty kid not jump all over? Or some really nice dinnerware displayed in a cabinet she'd not want a kid eating greasy chips off of and then accidentally stepping on and breaking a plate from? Ask her how she'd feel if you brought a kid to her house and let it break her treasured stuff even though you knew it was off limits. Maybe that comparison between your things and hers might better get the message across. Sometimes you just have to explain these things in terms people personally understand.

Then also get the kid some crappy junkers or something to play with while also making sure he understands the difference between your Transformers and his. This second part is important. Just giving the kid some junkers or cheap figures for him to wreck might cause him to think he's allowed to play with any Transformers he sees, yours included.

9. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    Try "how about don't touch my fucking stuff? I'm not your 'little snookums' living at home anymore, these are my things, do NOT touch my shit, nonetheless let a little kid play with them. You want him to be entertained, YOU get him toys to play with that ARE NOT mine!"

10. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Tell you mom to keeps her hands off your stuff. All she sees is toys, not a collection - you need to explain the difference in no uncertain terms.

Don't blame the kid, your mom is the one handing your stuff out to him to break.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  11. Chaplain

Chaplain Well-Known Member

Tell your mom you have to regularly spray them with dog urine to keep the paint from peeling off....Say it's a collector's secret to keeping them in perfect condition. That or have it out with your mom about it being your stuff and you can do what ever the hell you want with it, including keeping it from others who may damage or break them

12. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Collections:Get their paws off on my stuff, Kids and Animals.

13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Tell your mother that some of the toys she's giving your nephew happen to have small parts (I.E. Hound's gun), and that if he happens to swallow one or more said small parts and needs to go to the hospital, guess whose fault it is for letting him have access to a choking hazard?

More realistically, as everybody else has been saying, make it clear she's violating your privacy because she took your stuff without asking. Show her the VERY prominent age recommendation on one of the boxes and make her realize that maybe it's not just the 2 year old who doesn't know what they're doing.

I know what's it's like to have kids who want to play with figures you don't want handled by a kid. Every time my dad has his friend come over and bring his 5 year old son, it's a frustrating challenge to make him stop trying to grab my prized Chevy Aveo Swerve the second I'm looking away.

14. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

He's being a kid, so you can't exactly get upset with him. As others have already stated, you need to educate your mom on collectibles and that they're valuable and somewhat difficult to attain. No offense, but your mom comes off as being somewhat daft in this situation. She's void of common sense and consideration for others if she thinks she can just randomly hand him something of yours without asking. And that goes for personal property in general (not just toys).

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  15. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Go to Walmart and buy a bunch of Hot Wheels toys and tell her those are for your nephew, not the transformers. Tell her if she doesn't agree, don't bring the kid.

16. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Send your mom a bill with an invoice listing all the damages in plain dollars and cents. (I may or may not be kidding; some people might not respect the sentimental value of toys but might respond better to the monetary side of things.)

17. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I also think it's pretty fucked up that she does this as a guest in your home.

18. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Go to her house and damage a buncha stuff and then ask why it bothers her.

19. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    This.

And this. I mean, really, this one is just an attempt at logic in case you can't somehow convince her to respect your personal property just because it's right.

But another thing to do is maybe buy a few toys that your nephew can play with, and just have them around for such occasions. That's what I do.

20. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    this lol

but seriously have a word with your mum and tell her to bring toys with her for him as these are your collection!!