Am I Just Being Paranoid? - Article for TFsource

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Maz, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Why are the prices of Diaclones and specific Japanese exclusive Transformers ballooning out of control? Is it really because there are so many more collectors on the market due to Michael Bay’s movies? Are we really to believe that Transformers-only collectors who finally got around to completing G1 are all of a sudden blowing copious amounts of cash on Diaclone cars and Micro Change Series toys, making it that much harder for the rest of us to complete our collections? Maybe. Probably. But conspiracy theories are far more entertaining, and we’ve got a good one this week.

Am I Just Being Paranoid? | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

[​IMG]

All the best
    Maz

2. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i've noticed the almost instantaneous increase in the japanese g1 prices, bordering on stupid now.

3. Mastodon

Mastodon Well-Known Member

As always, another great read by Maz. I have never gotten into the pre G-1 game or even the Japanese G-1 game, but this just validates my decision.

4. mooncake623

mooncake623 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    interesting....

5. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Imagine if that person was doing this WAS Maz, lol i'm joking...

6. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    :lol  mate, if I could even afford to outbid these guys on ONE Yahoo Japan auction, I'd consider it a successful year!

All the best
    Maz

7. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    Thanks for another great article, Maz. :) 

8. jtscribe

jtscribe Well-Known Member

Exchange rate?

/edit - read it. Not sure what I think. Seems like a) a lot of work and b) rather capital-intensive with no assured payoff.

9. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Black helicopters follow me home from work every night.

10. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    Ahh the days of getting up at 4am to win auctions on yahoojp when the exchange rate was good..nowdays I can't even bring myself to browse yhjp :( 

11. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Prototype / Testshot collector

News Credits:
    Yeah this article basically parallels what I see/think as well. However, I have picked up some loose items for cheap (er), but they are not collectos mint. Fve years ago I wouldn't settle for anything less than unused MIB and complete, but with the recent prices, I have been buying more and more loose and less mint pieces.

12. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I still feel bad about not getting the MIB Microchange Wagen with a BIN price of US$150 listed on Ebay US by an HK seller, that was around 2 years ago. Now it would be nearly impossible to get it at that price, unless maybe I got to HK or Japan, hehe. :) 

13. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Thanks for the good read Maz! I don't believe this is as farfetched as a conspiracy theory might suggest.

14. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    They were not to pricey for the less desirable things I used to pick things up like sparkabots for like £8.00 (unopened) so it does seem that the price inflation has spread a bit.

Bargains are still available though you just have to look harder for them... and frankly if the price depresses you i'd suggest collecting Brave toys instead you get more bang for your buck with them.

15. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Actually I think you are partly correct, but at the same time the increase of the Chinese collector with a higher disposable income has also led to this.

A lot of the people I know selling on eBay are getting big offers from China. Also, some local store owners are saying that Chinese buyers are spending with no issues.

16. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Great read again, Maz. The prices out there on Japanese exclusives are indeed crazy. Makes me appreciate the fact that I've completed that part of G1. I'm sure your "theories" are correct about the price manipulation, but I'm not sure about the global impact it actually had on the market. If I had to guess however, I'd lean towards saying it was significant.

17. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

No, it's not crazy to chalk it up to conspiracy. I've seen this happen with GoBots a few times. You remember GoBots, the K-Mart TransFormers, don't you? Time was, you could get practically any of them for $10 or $20 tops. Now a fair percentage of them show up AFAed with insane price tags. A few years back, I fought a woman (I think) over a few and lost. I'm down to needing a relative handful to finish my collection and this mook was outbidding me left and right. I was so mad I drove a Leader-1 up over $150 out of spite, hoping to slow her down, and even offered to buy one of the others off her at a significant premium. She swore up and down she was into collecting them, yet low and behold, every one of them was up on eBay two months later AFAed with a starting bid of $300 or more. I don't know what ever became of them because they were so far out of my price range. I hate those people so much.

18. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Great read. I think the difference is much more prevalent with the subjects of the article, but I've seen the same thing with vintage US G1 as well as modern stuff. The bottom line is that if sellers can sell something for $X, they will. *sigh*

19. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    That's what you get for posting articles about special Diaclones that make the Ark of the Covenant look like a Pier One Imports chest, Maz.

The one percent is apparently putting their money into the hot commodities. Gold, Coffee, Diaclone.

Great read!

20. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

Who sets the market price for figures? Is it the consumer or the seller? If the consumers think that brand A is not worth $5000 and do not buy brand A at that price then the seller will have to lower the price, or a competitor will offer the same brand at lower cost thus creating a true market price. The issue is that most collectors who have just recentley entered the hobby have no idea what the "true" prices are for some of these figures and are willing to fork over a lot of money without doing research. Look at the price for G1 Overlord. It is now hovering around $1200 for a mib. It is not a rare piece and you can either obtain the Japanese or European version. The popularity of the character rose because of the Comic Book Fall of the Wreckers. Overnite, it went from being a $400 figure to $800. Collectors were willing to pay double for a figure that the sellers knew was hot thus driving up the price. The market is set by you the consumer, if you show patience, restraint, and knowledge you can find great bargains.