Am I getting scam if I buy these g1 and others dvds sets?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by mac&cheese, Oct 4, 2010.

1. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hi I thinking about buying all of these dvds sets from a seller on ebay. The prices are very fair for brand new never used dvd sets. He also has multiple of the same items which he relisted each time an auction ends. But the one im looking at is the g1 set with the masterpiece, victory, and headmaster series all complete in a dvd set. My main question is I never knew these where ever dubb in english before. Does anyone know what kind of quality dubbing this set has? heres the link to the auction along with all of the others I want to buy at once from this seller.

Transformers Headmaster, Master Force, Victory 6 DVD - eBay (item 180570074417 end time Nov-02-10 18:44:11 PDT)

http://cgi.ebay.com/THUNDERCATS-SEA...645?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0a097de5

DVD Voltron Defender of the Universe Vol. 1 ? 72 End! - eBay (item 180558724869 end time Oct-08-10 18:47:26 PDT)

Transformers Transform and Roll Out Season 1+2 End Eng - eBay (item 170542287493 end time Oct-18-10 19:08:52 PDT)

2. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think you need to check what region those dvd's are. It looks like an over seas seller and not a US region DVD. Different countries use different dvd regions. DVD's are not universal. Make sure first.

3. MetroBub

MetroBub 49ers Fan

Id be careful.
    Dont quote me, But was MF Victory and Head masters released on DVD ?
    The Voltron Set i know they released them by season and im not sure about all the EPs on one DVD.
    And transform and roll out, Wasnt that inserted into like the Prime megs 2 pack for animated ? Why pay $30 i think i saw when u can find that 2 pack for uner that price alone..

Also what is this RM i see on the label. If its RM as in real media player.... I would stay away.

4. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I bought the liscensed Japanese takara complete G-1 series headmasters,masterforce & victory. from the UK Amazon.com web site a few years ago. there was a mega sale of 75% off so I bought it. I also bought the complete liscensed rid series for about 80% off from the UK amazon.com.

You might want to research to see if this version is liscensed or not. because only 6 dvd's for 3 complete G-1 Japanese series seems a bit weird. especially considering there is more than 100 cartoon episodes between all 3 cartoon series.

Yes if your buying japanese or UK region DVD's your going to need to buy a DVD player that plays these.

Oddly enough the super cheap compact dolby dvd players that sell for under $25 will play all regions. also almost all computers with dvd players in them will play all regions.

I noticed the ebay sellers name was liqdeal. this might be toyareana.com ebay user ID. i'VE done a few transactions with toyarena.com on his web site & his ebay account. if it's the same guy. he's a decent guy,you can trust him.

5. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I bought that TF set with Victory, Headmasters and Masterforce. It's a good deal, but the quality isn't really "Dvd-quality" in terms of the picture. However, it was region-free and did include an English language track, so I say it's worth it for al 3 series, but as Tigermegatron said, they most likely aren't licensed

6. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    thanks all for your help, I do need to check to see if it plays on usa dvd players, I also cant watch dvds on a computer. for the people that had a usa dubb set, was the dubbing any good? i do know that these are bootleg sets. but its strange that i bought some bootleg/ china anime sets in the past before, they seems pretty good so im wondering if these are the same quality. also its funny that it could be toyarena. i would never expect them to sell bootlegs. :wink: 

7. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For the Japanese G1 series, it is the infamous "RTM Dub" which you can read more about on tfwiki.net, but you can watch them in the original japanese with engish subtitles too, it does give you that option. I would say it's worth it as long as it's region free. It looks like the same box as the one I have, so I would imagine it is.

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    They're bootlegs, you can usually tell if they have Chinese / Malay subtitles. I can't speak for the quality but I'd be very careful. They aren't usually as good as the real thing.

9. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have them. They are a nice cheap alternative, but as you said, visual-wise, are not as quality as the official ones. They're fine for me, so I guess to the OP it's a question of what your standards are and how much you want to pay.

10. Shockwave 75

Shockwave 75 Master of the Rules.

Just to clarify, there is no such thing as a "USA dub" for these TF series as they have, unfortunately, never been available in North America. The only recent official releases of these series are by Metrodome in the UK and Madman in Australia.
    These series have been subbed and dubbed, but the dub is the hilariously awful RTM job.

You might want to try and find some of the official releases. They'll definitely cost you more, but they do come with nice extras on the disks. You get what you pay for.

11. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I must have the UK Metrodome release. what I like about this set. is the fact they didn't use the butchered second hand copied animation for the dubs on these disk. metrodome used the high quality japanese cartoon episodes original footage & added in the weird english/european translation.

on the metrodome UK version there is a option to view the episode in japanese language,english language. or mix it up & hear japanese language with english sub-titles.

it's definately a high quality version.

12. Shockwave 75

I have the Aussie Madman release.

I don't know which version of the animation they use, but it looks pretty good to me.
    You can only watch Headmasters all the way through with the awful/funny dub, but you can watch all three series in Japanese with english subs.

The extra stuff they added is great too. Lots of toy and catalogue images, some japanese toy commercials, and they included the single Zone episode (japanese only with english subs), along with the Zone TV magazine pages and some Battlestars and Operation Combination manga pages on DVD-ROM.

13. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    i wonder if youtube has any of it dubb there? i would really like to see what it sounds like. as far as pic quality. i want it if its the high quality ko sets like most of those anime ko china complete sets.

14. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

Ebay:
    So far I can only find the first episode of The Headmasters with the RTM Dub, but theres plenty of clips of the series with the RTM dub

Here is part 1 of the first episode

YouTube - Transformers Headmasters ENG Episode -01- (1 of 2) Four Soldiers From The Sky HQ JT

15. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I recently picked up a bootleg of the Headmasters DVD at a comic book convention for $20.00. I've never seen any of the Japanese G1 series. I watched the first episode and yeah, the picture quality is pretty poor, but it'll get me by.

So just for my own clarification: the RTM dub is the ONLY dub ever produced, right? Even the official releases have it, along with their better picture quality?

16. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    You've asked this question twice before each time with the same mis-spelt title. WTF!

Even bigger WTF is people who can't watch original Japanese material with subtitles. Why de-value the source material with this obsession with horrid dubs.

Get the Metrodome boxsets for all your Japanese TF needs.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  17. Shockwave 75

AFAIK, yes. The RTM dubb is the only english language version of these shows.

I love the irony of commenting on someone elses spelling using the term "spelt", which isn't even a real word! The word you're looking for is "spelled"

Maybe some people just can't read them fast enough to get it all. My wife is like that. She can't read fast enough to enjoy a subtitled movie/show.

I have to put in my :2c:  for the Madman sets. They just have better cover art.

But you be the judge: Madman Japanese G1
    P.S. The pic of the 3 set box set is a pic of my set.

Metrodome Takara Collection

18. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Yes, very ironic.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  19. kensou

kensou Well-Known Member

Haha, that is a piece of remarkable memory in childhood. No matter the drawing and setting of transforming is like then, it stands for a masterpiece of time.

20. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Omni Productions - Transformers Wiki

About the dubs in general.

What the article doesn't mention yet is the general... manner in which characters talk.

My favorite swear word from Masterforce is "YOU ARE AN EVIL MAN!"