am i being tested

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rumble02, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

ok so many of you know that i have been working like crazy, well my bosses through me for another loop. Now until football is over i have to shoot six days a week and instead of working evenings on just the weekend i also have to work nights for monday and tuesday then days on wednesday and only thursday off. its like everyday i walk in and wonder what i will be working.are they messing with me. they even brought me in to say thanks for not throwing a fit like the other guy did. im not the type to get pissy at work so i just said" your welcome, no reason to bitch about it" and they said good answer. WHAT IS GOING ON

2. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

They're using you.

Man up and demand compensation or consideration.

3. Rumble02

well i did get a massive raise, free cell, and all my fuel paid, even for non business errands

4. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

It's not free if you're busting your ass to that degree. In time, you'll realize that they're walking on you like a piece of carpet.

5. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah they are making you work your ass off so they can sit on theirs and watch all the games. Damn that!!!

6. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:

Thats alot of compensation compared to alot of other jobs out there. Youre getting fuel paid for non business stuff!!!

Shit, in the last year, my job has taken away like 3 perks of our jobs and asked us to do more job responsibilities!

7. gonzo23

gonzo23 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    they know that you wont say no, thats why you're always in those situations!

8. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    i'm like you, i am devoted to jobs and just do whatever work needs to be done. i wound up getting used by the last company i worked for. i was doing 6 days a week starting at 7am and often going till 4 or 5, all while doing the work of two people. they refused to give me a raise, saying that i was expendable...so i effen quit. they had to replace me with two people.

anyway sounds like you're stretched pretty thin. i mean, the perks almost sound worth it, but you can't put a price on relaxation and time spent with the wifey.

9. X-BRAWN81

X-BRAWN81 Survived Huriicane Dolly

Hey Rumble02, don't you work for a Television station? Isn't there like tons of work during football season. Could be that.

10. Rumble02

yeah. football is going to give me bank overtime. im more frustrated with the whole, " lets change his schedule every three or four days" thing

11. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

What kind of work do you do?

I was doing lead system analysis work with only a senior title and got pissed about it, ended up getting a raise out of it and i still asked to change positions. Your quality work will show once they try to replace you, its happening right now with my work. My old team wants me back, other teams want me to work for them, and right now i'm in training to learn a new role. F no overtime and compensation for the crazy amount of work I did. Then seeing what other people were doing and them getting paid more just didn't make sense to me.

Now the project I worked my ass off is trying to get someone to replace me, which they'll realize will take about 3 contractors if not more.

Your co-workers are obviously using you. Write down everything you do, your responsibilities, duties, etc. and then take what the job description says. Demand a raise or promotion for you work.

12. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Demand more large sides of beef.

13. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    ask for an extra serving of tartar sauce for your fish sticks

14. the_scientist

the_scientist Well-Known Member

They said the other guy threw a fit. They're probably going all goofy with your schedule because they have to fill in the hours he would have worked and those of everyone else who didn't feel up to it. So you're probably not being "tested" but I'm sure they appreciate you working so hard and down the line they should rememeber you when it comes time for raises and promotions. Seems they already have.

15. Max-prime

Max-prime Supreme-Commander

News Credits:
    I am kinda going thru what you are you kinda of have to walk a thin line and put your foot down but gently. Tell them that its not fair to have your sche. changed every couple of days and that you want a sit down to compromise on a sch. that will be stable at least for the next couple of months.

16. Rumble02

oh good lord no. i felt like crap for a week after that one. They did give me a car though

17. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

A good car?

I'm kinda split on this. On the one hand, it does sound like you're doing an awful lot. On the other hand, it sounds like you feel that you're being well-compensated. I'd say that you are, but that's me. You have to determine that for yourself.

I would recommend keeping tabs on how much you work and how much extra stuff you do. Armed with that information you'll be able to guarantee (or as close to it as you can) that they continue to treat you well later on down the line - like if things slow down, a promotion becomes available, or they hire other people.

And if things start to get to you - if you start feeling overworked - maybe you should try talking to them about additional vacation time. I don't know - as long as you're reasonable about it and go through the proper channels (pun not intended) I don't see how that could be a problem. In my best job, I found that communication was key, and as long as you were being reasonable and were willing to compromise everyone would get something. In my worst job communication didn't matter because keeping the workers in check (low wages, low benefits) was more important than almost anything else.

18. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Then are you being tested?

No, you're being told to do your job. Go back to work and quit complaining.

19. Rumble02

just to clairify a little. i dont mind hard work in the slightest. i dont mind long hours. what i meant was that litterally every two days or so i my schedule gets flipped on very short notice. Hard to juggle where my kid will be and such because of this. im not complaining about the work load. just the fact that from day to day i dont know when ill be off and what time to go to work.

20. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

And I see your side on that issue. I don't think people are being fair to you here. I thought about this a bit more, and I have to say that you're being compensated fairly,

Though, the scheduling thing is enough to break one's patience.