Am i an irresponsible parent?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rumble02, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

Ok so every thursday and friday are my days off. and my wife works all day on friday so its supposed to be just me and Kiara.(my daughter)
    my parents watch my daughter sat and sun 1 because my wife and i both have to work all day those days and 2 because my father is sick and we want him and kiara to know eachother for as long as possible. anyway to the point.
    my parents have been watching Kiara about 4 days a week lately. because my boss has been having me come in on my days off for random shoots and live shots. I really want my time with my daughter and i dont want my parents overloaded with her. but with my work schedule lately i dont know of another option. and she is having to stay the nights with them because they live over an hour away. im stuck on this one

2. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Nah. You're very responsible. You have someone reliable to watch your kid. You are out earning a living so you can provide for your family.

There doesn't seem to be much you can do to fix the situation though. Work is work. Though maybe you can talk to your boss about not coming in on your days off as often. Explain the situation to him/her. If they're a parent, they might understand your desire.

3. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    DevilzFan pretty much summed up what I was gonna say.

I'd call you irresponsible if you left her with a teenager or something, but you seem to be doing the best you can at this point. So... You = responsible parent

4. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Buy her a puppy.

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    It takes a village, man. You're doing the right thing.

6. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    Yeah your doing the right thing. My daughter stays with my Mom 1/3 days a week. My wife works 1st shift and I work 3rd but I have court at least once a week sometimes more.

7. Rumble02

thanks guys. im just really missing her tonight and I just need to man up and talk to my boss. i appreciate yall listening to me

8. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

I find myself thinking the same types of things sometimes, but I'm doing my part to provide for my family, as are you. When I do have free time for just my kids and family, I make an effort to make the best of it. Wheather thats going outside to play, or having a "huge fight" with our TF's, I do what I can when I can. Go easy on yourself. As long as your motives are good, Youre doing the right thing.

9. gonzo23

gonzo23 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    its a temporary situation as far as your schedule goes, right? if thats the case and your parents are not complaining, thats fine. any extra time with the grandparents is nice. I would'nt worry about it! things come up and thats what family is for!

10. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

[/thread]

11. Boy who screams

Boy who screams Banned

Just don't beat her.

It may seem like a good idea at the time, but you'll regret it.

I've learnt my lesson...

12. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    That kinda came out of left field.:crazy: 

13. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Rumble, I think your not irresponsible parent at all and just like everyone says you ask someone you trust to watch your daughter while you and your wife make a living. So dont put yourself down because of this, personally I think you make the right decision, and I hope to God man you get a day off you use to your full advantage to be with your little girl.

14. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Dude you are a lot better parent than most. Seriously. You got someone you know you can trust watching her. You are working hard to provide for her. It is not like you are dumping her on your parents so you can go to a titty bar or drinking. You are working hard to put food on your table and buy her clothes and such.. That is part of being a parent. You make sacrifices for your kids. You may not be there all the time, but when you are you spend quality time with her. When things lighten up at work spend more time. It is not like you are spending more time at work when you don't really have to.

If you talk to your boss let him know you'd like to lessen your work load a bit now and then to spend more time with your family. Maybe you could work a little longer the other days to have a day off with the kid. That way he get's plenty of hours from you and you get to take your daughter to the zoo or Wall-E or something.

15. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I'll agree with everyone else that you are not irresponsible. You have her in good hands when you can't be there. I will however throw in one other thought. What's more important? Money or family? IF you don't need the extra income for bills, then do what you can to get out of going in the extra days. If the extra days are going to be a long term or possibly permanent situation, maybe a change of employment is in order. I turned down a job paying over $1000 a week ( and ended up taking the $800 job I have now ) because of the time away from my daughter. I just realized she was more important to me than the extra $200.

16. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    dude thats nothing, our friend will take her kid to the babysitter every friday night and will just return to stay home without him. No lie. There's been a couple of times that when were all hanging out at her place, she'll have one of our friends read her kid to sleep. She asked me once to do it and I straight out said no; never got asked again.

17. Rumble02

i cant imagine doing that. how aweful. again thanks for the pep talk yall. i needed it. and as far as the hours go my boss says it only temporary. we are bringing on another photog so my schedule will be normal in about a month> GLADNESS AND JOY

18. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    If she didn't want to spend time with her kid, why did she even have him?

Rumble02, you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders with regards to family, and its good to see that. And I'm glad to hear your boss is going to help you out there, too.

--Moony

19. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Not much else to be said in thie thread 'cept fosters sig is f-ing funny.

20. Hound_Dawg

Hound_Dawg Shinki,Braves,TF's Oh my!

I am not sure I am a good one to talk, one of the hardest things I have had to do is have babysitters for my boys. I actually envy you that you have family close to help. I agree with Soundblaster1, you don't have a teenager watching your kid. That is a good thing. Sadly, I have had to have a teenager watch my kids, when we had no one else, paid a steep price for it too. And have had many people call me a bad parent as a resutl.

But the bottom line is you know she's being taken care of, and loved. And by doing what you are doing, you are making sure her well being is secure. It hurts when you don't get to spend the time you want to with your kids. But you are spending time with her when you have the time and that is what is important.