Am I alone?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by NitrogenB, Jul 1, 2011.

1. NitrogenB

NitrogenB Well-Known Member

In the fact that I thought Optimus Prime was a little over the top, violence wise? I understand the need to eliminate the enemies, but good-lord, he seemed so psychopathic about it. It all started with the point blank head-shot in ROTF at the beginning with the Huge dual-wheel freeway bot.

Again, I understand he needed to eliminate Megs and Sentinel, but it just seemed over the top and totally out of sync with all other canons of Prime in the way it was portrayed and how he did it.

Please don't flame, it's an honest opinion.

2. TheMixmaster

TheMixmaster Master of Mixin

Agreed

I mean, he was friggin crazy in this one! First there was Grindor's death, which was pretty violent, then he freaking shot Megatron point-blank in the face, then ripped off the Fallen's face, and proceeded to rip out his heart and crush it. :wtf:  Then, in the next installment of The Merciless Killing of Robots:3, he punched through Shockwave's body and ripped his eye out. :eek:  Then lodged his axe into Megatron's face and ripped his head and spine out.......
    .........................................wut.

3. Pikatron

Pikatron Well-Known Member

That's movie Prime for ya. :lol 

It shocked me a bit at first, but I eventually got used to it. It was kinda like seeing Wolverine killing all the spec ops soldiers invading the school in the 2nd or 3rd Xmen movie, I can't remember.

4. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I was X-Men 2, and to me it wasn't a shock since I've always known Wolverine as a bundle of barely contained rage and badassery.

5. erjaho0614

erjaho0614 Autbot/Maximal

I believe it's the 2nd.

6. DECAB419

DECAB419 Member

I understand from your point that he seems so out of character with the others. I agree with you. But i kind of like it in this verse. In others either the autobots were the weaker side or it was more balanced. Its a nice change seeing the autobots dominate for a change. Unlike in G1 where the autobots end up winning, here THEY WILL WIN. Maybe i only feel this way because i partially grew up watching G1, man those old tapes bring memories.

7. NitrogenB

Exactly. Not to mention he shot Sentinel, John Gotti style right in the face, point blank, towards the end.

8. TheMixmaster

I know but... DAMN! :wtf: 

9. NitrogenB

I mean, I grew up watching G1 as well, and Beast Wars. This Prime just grates on me, a little, I guess. He's kinda like a "role model" figure, and seeing him like that is kinda un-nerving. I dunno. I'm prolly overthinking it.

10. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    The movie franchise really did kind of pervert Optimus Prime in to this angry, ready-to-explode type of personality. I get that their in a war ... but the deaths in DOTM were a little crazy.

11. erjaho0614

erjaho0614 Autbot/Maximal

I really have no problem with this Prime since he's a lot more decisive in his battles and I think he's just gotten tired of being played for a fool.

12. TheMixmaster

[​IMG]
    Hehehehe, I made this a few hours ago, inspired by some similar pictures.

13. TacticalSamurai

TacticalSamurai Hunter Killer

I know I said it in the other thread to you, but seriously someone in the CG animation room was Mortal Kombat with all those Fatalities XD!
    We had a body that was ripped apart by the wreckers
    We had a head rip, head shot by soundwave, bumblebee gut to head shot, optimus predator trophy kill on megatron,...the list goes on lol!

14. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

He really did seem brutal. I was mostly fine with Shockwave, Grindor, what have you, but he just seemed out of character with Megs and Sentinel. Megatron had just saved his life, and Optimus proceeded to decapitate him. Then Sentinel, who was defenseless anyways, begged for mercy and Optimus killed him in manner just as brutal as Soundwave/Barricade killed Que.
    So yes, he was pretty violent.

15. TheMixmaster

I do agree. Wtf was up with Optimus when he ripped out Megatron's head. I can understand why he killed Sentinel: cause he was a complete dick.

16. Stryker055

Stryker055 Josh Boyfriend

Optimus Prime is the attention whore of the films. He's overpowered and ridiculously badass. By the end of DOTM, I had a bit of a bitterness for the character because of that. I still enjoyed seeing him, and I definitely enjoy making fun of him, but he just irritates me.

17. Tracer

Tracer _

News Credits:
    So basically you guys want Prime to KILL nicer.

18. TheMixmaster

Not really. He's just to friggin bloodthirsty, killing robots in the most violent ways. Why can't he just shoot them? He's also kind of a dick. "Oh, maybe I should rip off the head of the guy who just saved my exhaust port."

19. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

Do I have to do this AGAIN...?

To put it quite simply, the reaction to Prime's actions in the movie is merely based upon opinion- something that I feel we can all agree upon. Those who have wished the Autobots to be an actual military faction fighting against the Decepticons will see Prime's actions as a step in the right direction- he is a war hero and leader who has seen his fair share of tyranny and destruction in his time as a leader and has therefore been desensitized to the effect of war, destroying Decepticons because they are monsters who started a conflict which they hoped to end by becoming the most powerful faction among the Cybertronian race but ended up instead becoming a power hungry group that ended up killing those who they believed they were superiors to and causing the Allspark to leave the planet. The Decepticons are their own undoing- a race so consumed by a lust for power that they would rather slay all of those who believed their ideals and actions to be unjust then attempt to solve this issue diplomatically and inevitably becoming villains in doing so. If they have taken this path, they now find no remorse in killing not only other Cybertronians but also humans in order to enforce their goal- and, in the case of post-2007 Decepticons, to remind Autobots and humans of their purpose, that they have ceased to be a worthy opponent and are instead viewed as treacherous, irredeemable monsters with a fervor for killing. Perhaps the Movie Optimus Prime understands this and is willing to destroy any Cybertronian who is willing to affiliate themselves with such a faction- those who align themselves are beyond redemption and, though they may attempt to run from the forces of the Autobots, are perfectly content with taking human and Autobot lives along the way- case in point, Bonecrusher (in his actions against humans by destroying a bus) and Demolisher (his actions being destroying helicopters, NEST members, and civilians).

However, those who see Prime's actions as irredeemable base their opinion upon the character that has been established throughout the 25 years of Transformers- one who would rather reach out and attempt to touch the soul of a Decepticon and show him the error of his ways, or to try to stress the importance of basic morals and ideas, or only cut loose when he has no other choice or has witnessed the treachery and disturbed nature of the Decepticons firsthand. From G1 to Animated, we have seen a Prime who had been self-sacrificing and a true leader- one who reflects upon his actions that have yet to be performed or have already been performed and decides whether or not they are just. He has killed only because he believes that the Decepticon who is his target is beyond redemption- Megatron in the 86 Movie, Megatron in Armada, Cybertron, etc. But otherwise, he has been a fair and just leader.

But why is Prime from the 2006-2009 movies considered to be one or the other? He obviously has a line that he draws between those who are good and those who are evil. Prime from the 86 movie attacks and kills Decepticons because they are in the way of his true goal- Megatron. Prime from the 2007 movie kills Bonecrusher because he is attempting to get in the way of Prime's true goal- protecting the Allspark. Prime from the 86 movie and Prime from RiD, Armada, and Cybertron attempt to destroy Megatron because he is a force of evil- ever-corrupting, ever challenging, and ever-present- it seems that the destruction of Megatron is the only choice of ever stopping the evil that plagues the galaxy. Prime from the 86 movie mocks his opponent by saying "You who are without mercy now begs for it?" which is no more of an insult than "They were your brothers too!" and "You picked the wrong planet!" are. "Give me your face" is again, a subjective comment, as fans may believe it to be a statement of mockery, a statement of "I'm trying to be a badass right now", or even "I'm being a ruthless S.O.B.". Those who support the movie violent Prime may justify it as a "Your face is the symbol of the Decepticons, so let me take it to dishonor their cause", but those who reject Prime's actions and motives may see it as "I'm going to rip your face off so let me say this line to accentuate it". But essentially, every line, even the lines from 86 Prime and 07-09 Prime are to support the badassery of the current Prime, not matter how insulting, revolting, or untrue to the character they may be.

Prime's actions are, again, interpreted based on opinion. Killing the Fallen in such a brutal manner, as well as Scavenger and Bonecrusher, is based upon the tolerance one has to violence as well as the image one has of Optimus Prime. Those who argue "Prime would never do that" are again drawing upon the established morals of Prime. Those who support his actions are either fans of the established morals who find Prime to be a character too often thrown around and taken advantage of, or simply want their Autobot leader to be more of a badass. Let's face it, in war, you have to be wise and experienced in fighting the enemy in order to be a successful leader. The war, however, varies upon cartoon or movie. As said before, the war the Autobots are fighting is real in the movieverse, often frighteningly so, as Autobots resort to flashy and violent ways of disposing their age-old enemies. This is based upon the brutality and rage of the Decepticons, which the Autobots may have to equal in order to overcome their enemies. In Animated, the Autobots have to use clever ideas in order to outsmart and defeat their Decepticon foes, as the Decepticons are clearly more powerful than them. However, in the movies, the Autobots are equal to the Decepticons in design and aggressiveness, and therefore have to match the aggressiveness of the Decepticons in order to defeat them- in Animated, G1, RiD, Cybertron, etc. matching the Decepticons means overpowering/outsmarting them, not killing them, as these cartoons are directed toward children and emphasize nonkilling results- in the movieverse, killing Decepticons is accepted and considered a foil to their plans because it is a bit more realistic. The nature of the Autobot/Decepticon war has varied between the Decepticons having the upper hand, to vice versa, to the Decepticons being a revolutionary faction, to even being a rogue group of warriors attempting to change the past- the face and tactics of the Autotbots must change every time a new Decepticons approach reveals itself.

Let's not forget that the movies are made in order to entice and enthrall viewers- Sideswipe exclaiming "Damn, I'm good" is an example of comic relief as well as an expression of a rookie Autobot trying to justify his ability to kill and the flashiness he has executed the kill with. Viewers of the movie do not necessarily have to be fans of the Transformers franchise in other to view it, that is why Autobots are often portrayed with less depth and justification of their actions as they are in comics and extended fiction. The movies are not only a fanservice, though we can certainly appreciate bickering between Starscream and Megatron and various other homages, etc. these movies are not meant to appeal to only us- they are also focused upon bringing in the audiences and making them enjoy the crazy robot-on-robot action. Though moviegoers may recognize Optimus Prime and Megatron, they may not be as in-touch with the characters' morals as diehard fans are. We may be asking for the perfect Transformers movie, but casual moviegoers are simply asking for basics- a well-created action movie that presents an interesting plot, an obvious hero and villain, and the other essentials for what makes a good action movie. the record-breaking gross that Revenge of the Fallen achieved is not caused by those who are fans of the the franchise and enjoyed the movie alone- is is caused by the appeal of casual moviegoers. There is already a majority of fans who dislike the move- there must be another group of non-fans who enjoy the movie even so.

In RoTF, Optimus is the obvious hero, and his slaying of the ultimate evil, the Fallen, is more or less justified by the audience's concept of what is right and what is wrong- in other words, the Fallen's death is okay in the casual and fan's eyes because both the audience and the casual viewer understands that the Fallen is evil, even though the fan understands this on a higher level because they have more of a connection to the fiction of Transformers and understand that the Fallen is a villain they have encountered before.

Long story short, we must be reminded constantly that the Transformers Movie Franchise is not meant to be our holy grail of Transformers mythos, it is meant to bring in money. When the script is written, it may feature homages for us, but the reason the movie never ends up being a direct recreation of G1, RiD, Armada, etc is because it must appeal to a larger audience, not only us. We argue, bitch, complain, and support because of our opinions on the franchise, but we are not the only ones in the world. Our opinions may affect the production of action figures, but they do not dictate the opinion of the masses, nor will they ever. So while we bicker and debate the nature of Optimus Prime, there is another faction of causal moviegoers who are concerned with whether or not an action movie has enough action to satisfy their needs, or whether or not a movie has the right amount of classic homages and modern advancements in screenwriting and visual effects in other to enthrall and captivate them.

I'm not really sure I have much else to say at this point- only that Beer an a lack of food throughout the entire day may attribute to some of my most interesting arguments yet. I hope you've all enjoyed this post, and don't rail me too much about it tomorrow- what else can I say, I was drunk. Aside from much of what has already been stated in this thread, I feel I have little to contribute, except to organize both sides of the argument into cohesive paragraphs. I still enjoy the idea that each new rendition of Transformers must have a unique version of not only Optimus Prime, but the Autobots themselves associated with it- as well as the Decepticons. I can truthfully day that the Decepticons in the movieverse are some of the most monstrous I've seen throughout the entire franchise of Transformers, and that the Autobots react to this threat in a completely different manner, one that I don't find too violent or too unrealistic, but almost a balance between the two.

Remember, no one can sway you from your opinion of how the Autobots are too- or not- violent enough in the movie franchise- your opinion if precious.

20. Optibot

Optibot The boss

wow i really have to memorize that