Am I alone on this?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by brr-icy, Jun 27, 2012.

1. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is anyone else hoping that 3rd Party will finish the classics line? As it seems Hasbro has decided that cheap, small wannabe knock offs are the future for the company, and i don't see them fitting with the other lines as well. I'd rather pay $50-$100 per figure to finish the line with quality figures, than $20 for them and be disappointed

2. dragon516

dragon516 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I see a lot of repaint coming out from the TFCC as a way to fill that void. Seeing how the club is going to a subscription with up to six figures a year, and the obligatory 10-13 Botcon figures, I see that is a venue for them to fill the lack of classics figure. The sad part about that is that means we won't be seeing much of any new molds but just recolor after recolor. RTS so far is their last hurrah in the traditional deluxe size.

3. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

Going for 100$ cheap plastic that somewhat resembles the character just doesn't make sense. more 3/4 of what out right now don't even resemble them at all. Just look at Herc right now. It barely resembles the character itself.

I'm thinking going for Masterpieces instead. Pay a high price but you get what you really want.

However, it's somewhat hard since more combiners are coming out...

I'll be happy if classics is sacrificed for Masterpiece. I hope that this is where the hobby is headed.

4. kraven

kraven Decepticon

This

5. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    herc looks more like the character than rts wreck gar does honestly (not putting down that figure, it's awesome, just sayin)

6. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Characters to fill in holes in my collection is 90% of the reason I buy third party stuff.

7. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    my collection is really becoming nothing but classics at this point-it would kill me if they stopped it, especially since I'm so close to all the guys from the show! Though at this rate, it seems like 3rd Party will complete my classics collection

8. seali_me

My point exactly. Even with classics, most of the time we have gripes about them.

Ever since I posted in that evolution of a collection thread, I feel like my collection "looks" cheaper than when I started. Alts/BTs and Masterpiece.

I won't be surprised if Tak/bro cancels it altogether. Third party products thrive on classics. I say sacrifice it and move on to better toys. I think I'm happy with the classics that I have.

9. terry981

terry981 Well-Known Member

So where was that Trailbreaker 3rd party? So want to fill my classics asap since I'm going to be slammed by Respiratory school.

10. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

i am ready and waiting for whatever the third parties dish out in the classics line that i am missing or want to upgrade. im trying to just keep one of each character in the classics line. for example, i already sold universe ratchet and ironhide in anticipation of the incoming igear vanbots.

the combiner bots look to be a main focus at the moment. ive got herc, dead set on uranus, looks like a menasor will come from from fp. id really like a better bruticus and a predaking and id be content with combiners.

another item id love to see would be some mp dinobots to match mp grimlock who is an imposing figure on my classics shelf.

11. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think you have a lot of people's views on the matter wrong. Classics Megatron, Prime, Bumblebee, Wreck-gar, Powerglide, Kup, Scourge, Sideswipe and Sunstreaker (and these are just off the top of my head) are all pretty big departures from their original designs, both toy and animation model, and I (and I'm guessing many other collectors) am cool with that. In fact, I'm glad its not slavishly G1.

In the same way that those figures are departures from earlier designs, so are many Third-Party toys. That's what appeals to me is the fact that they're the same characters, but different. You're right, if we want slavish cartoon designs (which it seems like you do want), then Masterpiece is the way to go. Otherwise, I'm happy with my official/third-party amalgamated classics collection.

12. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Well that's fine and dandy for you, but leaves those of us who still want more classics and think MPs are a waste of money don't want Hasbro to stop.

13. seali_me

There's a thread where peeps here have voted which of the classics is in dire need of redo. It contains most of the classics line.

Prime and Megatron probably got the biggest votes.

I think Brr-icy started that one too.

Also don't get me wrong, I love my classics line until of course Masterpiece line gets more attention from Tak/bro.

14. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

i literally think about this shit while im falling asleep at night. :) 

i think if i had some kinda gaurantee that has/tak would go ahead and redo most of the g1 characters in masterpiece style/quality/scale (in a timely fasion) id have no problem letting my classics go. the problem is things like that are far from garaunteed with has/tak.

that is the only real drawback to the mp line at the moment. we're (some of us) are already paying near masterpiece money for some third party and exclusive type classics quality items. just getting the entire mastepiece line would probably be the best option for US because the quality/size would more directly reflect the price..

15. Cecilia

Cecilia Transforming

That :) 

Even though I take some liberties with scale and style in my collection and will slip some mp cars with my classics (again, considering scale for Scourge and Cyclonus, what is a slightly bigger car than say, Drift which is quite big compared to other deluxe cars anyway).

But still as much as I´d like has/tak to keep alive with classics I think it won´t live long and the reduced size/faster release rate of mp line came to prepare us for that.

But since that is not a fast line yet and the new in scale MP p´lans are starting now I am really glad 3rd parties are filling the gaps ;) 

16. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

My main beef with many Third Party figures is actually that they're too slavish to the G1 character/toy models, rather than utilizing the concept of the Classics line(s) which for most was using descendant models to those used by the G1 characters/toys.

Perfect example are the new prototypes we've seen of TFC Phantom and Eagle. The F-4 Phantom has been phased out of service by the Military, the F-15 was actually its replacement and it too is being phased out. Using the "Classics" concept would imply using the models of the F-22 Raptor and F-35 Lightning II for those particular characters. But no. They're too slavishly G1.

It's a fine line to be drawn between capturing the essence of the character and just straight up remaking the original all over again.

17. Cecilia

Cecilia Transforming

I don´t have a "rule of preference" between straight G1 or Classics/updates as many seem to have, I bite the ones which I like best for bot and alt modes as I consider that not all cybertronians would prefer updated alt modes (My OC for instance goes with an 80p s Lotus Esprit out of style/preference much like IDW Bee uses the Beetle while others have more up to date alt modes.

As far as toys go, I love the alt mode for RTS Jazz and like it way better than G1, however for the Lambos there is no contest, I am a fan of blocky 80´s cars like Countach, Lotus Esprit and Delorean so the classics mold even with a better robot mode would still disapoint me.

So to me it is a pretty much per case basis, I´ve waited for years for a more strict G1 Ratchet-Ironhide mold and love Igears design for those, however in Kup´s case, while I loved the G1 look I think classics works faaaar beter for me.

18. Napalm

Napalm Sins Of The Manfish TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That was a one off test shot by Head Robots, intended as a learning curve for them.

19. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

I'm just happy we're getting good classic figures, I don't really care if they're HasTak, club, custom or 3rd party originated.

20. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    I'd be more than fine with 3rd parties completing out classics, but I guess I'm confused, because isn't that what they're doing anyways?

The biggest drawback for me is aesthetics, because every third party has their own, and none really dead on match classics.