Am I alone on this

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Fishdirt, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I collect for nostlagia but trying to reassemble my childhood collection of toys is something more for me. Sure I see memories and reminders looking at these toys but there's something more.

In the not so distant future I plan to have children and ,as much as toys advance in movement , I want to show them the toys I had as a kid and pass them on even if they are "bricks". Has anyone else had this element in their collecting childhood collections? Just curious.

2. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I don't think you're alone. I also want my children to have my toys I grew up with, but I don't collect for that purpose. I wouldn't want my kids picking up my G1 toys until their at least 10 though ...

3. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Even though i collect for nostlagia but i don't think my passion will last that long till i am able to pass these toys to my kids,moreover these toys are expensive man,LOL

4. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Let kids play with the toys they like. Sure, if you can get them to like TFs too its cool, but my parents and grandparents gave me Transformers when I was a kid (which is what was new at the time), they didn't give me their old toys or try to make me like them out of nostalgia. I get your point though, my 2-year old niece loves my figures and I'll totally buy her a Rescue bot (or anything simple and playable) soon, so she starts likin' old Optimus early.

5. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had meant more as a "This is my story so you know how your dad was as a kid". Not forcing them to like something I do. It's similar to a family heirloom. An object that tells a story and can be passed on. Of course There's no point beyond them and their kids for keeping them.

Also I would wait until they're old enough to understand before full on handing them over. I still need my mileage with them haha.

6. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    Your not alone at all my friend. I have a daughter coming soon (in about a month), and me and my wife have always said, we were never going to gender bias what she plays with and watches. And I have a HELL of a collection I can't to see her get into (with exceptions of course)

7. Tracer

Tracer _

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

8. Omega_Sentinel

Omega_Sentinel Well-Known Member

That looks good on paper, but... I was like this until I actually had a kid and now I realize that he doesn't give a crap about what I played with in my childhood.

When your little one starts breaking everything you own and says "I want" at everything he sees you'll realize it doesn't matter.

I honestly sold my G1 toys and opened up a college savings account for him. He's going to need that way more.

9. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Me, this :lol  itd be like me asking my gramps, u played with sticks n rocks when u were a kid?!!

10. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    Well, I got into TF collecting in my early twenties, so I can't say it has any nostalgic value for me. But my kid(s) will certainly be allowed to play with my toys, from G1 right through to whatever jazzy line we have in the future.

Know why?

Because they're effing toys. My dad gave me his entire Lego collection when I was old enough to play with it; my kids will get my Transformers collection. It will be something we can enjoy together, and there can be nothing bad about that. :) 

Unless they make fun of me for playing with toy robots when I'm like 40 or something.

11. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    I'm halfway with you, I don't think my kids will really need my toys. Because I'll more likely be buying new toys for them that I think are awesome.

But all the Transformers I played with as a kid I feel I explored extremely deeply. Every sculpt detail, Head reveal and Sticker reflection were expressions of sheer mecha.
    Our battles were fierce and our playtime ran long into the afternoon.

action master mainframe had taken such extensive playwear I had to get a replacement for my modern shelf. When I did that, It was more than just filling a gap in my action master collection's completeness. It was restoring a part of my own history.

12. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    This picture, actually brought tears to my eyes, thinking about my daughter (and her arrival Mid-March to this Cybertron we call earth) Thank you

13. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    I've just had a wee boy, he's 11 weeks old and the best thing ever.

I've collected alot of the cool toys from my childhood and it would be great if he enjoyed them too, if not, no problem but how can any boy not like cars and dinosaurs that transform into robots!

Most are for display but the older he gets the more he can open up the boxed ones etc. But only if he wants to. Imagine his face when I let him open up Fort max for the first time!!!!

Hopefully we can watch all the cartoons too, I've got a collection of 80's cartoons too which he might enjoy.

Still my hobby if he likes them or not.

14. Omega_Sentinel

Omega_Sentinel Well-Known Member

That's a healthy attitude to have.

15. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I collect out of nastolgia but also because I am a fan of toys in general.

About kids. I do not have any of my own but can garuntee your furture children will have more fun playing with 80's toys than current toys.

I had saved a lot of my toys as a child, mainly GI JOE, and my nephews preferred playing with the 80's Joe's over their current figures. Also I got one of my nephews in to TFs at a very young age and although born in the 2000s he is a G1er. That is not my influence because I am a Beast Wars guy myself...soon to become Prime if we get another solid season from it :) 

16. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

I gave all of my kids some of my toys. They all pretty much lost interests. That being said, my daughter will still drag out all of her Energon Arcee repaints to sit out with her Monster High dolls, which is her current obsession.

17. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    GROOVY, DUDE

[​IMG]

Remember Alf? He's back!

Seriously though, I like most modern toys but for some reasons I completely despise Bakugan. It baffles and enrages me that kids like those. (No, I don't actually rage even though children's toys are super serious business)

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    :D 

I hope to pass on the collection some day but right now i'm only 17.

19. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

one, where did you find that. And 2, that is somewhat frightening , Calvin being well adjusted as a adult

20. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I'd show my kids the G1 figures but they could chose something else. I wouldn't force Transformers on them...

Now Batman is another story lol. He has been our favorite hero for generations:thumbs2: