Am I a real fan?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Movebuster, May 25, 2009.

1. Movebuster

Movebuster Hiding True Intelligence

Lately I've noticed something troublesome about myself that makes me wonder if I might be a bit superficial, maybe not very dedicated to the geek cause.

About a month ago, I received Henkei Thundercracker and Skywarp from an eBay seller whom I won't name, MISP. Skywarp was in excellent condition. But when I opened Thundercracker, I found significant factory defects. Considering the amount I paid for them, this left my so despondent that I completely lost interest in all the great Transformers that I do have. It's like if something doesn't go my way, I no longer see the fun in it. I had occasional bouts of interest that might last for an hour, then I regret all the money that I've put into them over the years for a period that could last a week. during one of these short periods, I bought a couple of new transformers from Henkei which I have now received, but haven't opened. Often during my wait I felt sickened by my "Spur of the moment" decision to buy them and vowed that they would be my last. Of course having received them now, I feel that they are my new babies and I am interested all over again... the wound doesn't seem so fresh.

Am I spoiled? Am I a fair-weather friend? Am I just really sad and pathetic? I think it's time I placed myself at the mercy of the Quintesson court. What is your verdict?

2. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    We all go through phases, d00d. Doesn't make you any less of a fan. Hell, there are people here who have sold off almost their entire collections, and they're still fans.

3. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Yep, being fan isn't defined by the numbers of toy you have, or even the degree that you're attached to them. Being a fan is all about what's inside.

4. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Innocent. Now, feed him to the Seth Buzzardticons

1. If you weren't a real fan, then you wouldn't be here. :p 

2. It's just a momentary lapse. If you get a bum TF, then your interest might wane a tad. I had a period where I bought little to no TFs as well. Just keep on truckin'. :D 

5. Vexza

Vexza Nerdicon

I have like, four toys. Just because you don't have some issues with toys sometimes doesn't make you less of a fan. xP

6. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Do you like Transformers? If so, then you are a real fan.

7. Mechafire

Mechafire Shadow Broker Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    No. No you are not.

Just kidding.

If you like Transformers, then you are a real fan.

8. Movebuster

Movebuster Hiding True Intelligence

Yeah, that's what I thought.

:tongue: 

Thanks for all your pats on the back guys.

9. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

Can you sit through what in reality is a poorly animated and written half hour long toy commercial from the 80's and genuinely enjoy it? Can you sit through it's equally crappy spin off movie and enjoy it? Can you wait months in advance in anticipation for a movie directed by Michael Bay? If you answered yes to at least one of these, you are indeed a transformers fan. It's not ALL about the toys. Well, to hasbro it is, but there opinion doesn't count.

10. Astroscream

Astroscream News Cred > Street Cred

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nope, you are not a true fan, now put them in a box and send them to me.......... ;) 

11. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you like Transformers, you're a fan. If I got a defective TF, I'd just get another one and use the original for something else.

12. maninthebox94

maninthebox94 Banned

If you say you are a fan and mean it, your a fan.

13. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

I think anyone who asks "should I put myself at the mercy of the Quintesson courts" can legitimately call themselves a fan. ;) 

But like folks have said, all collectors go through phases... just look at the massive sale boards here to see folks thinning out figures/lines to which they no longer feel attached.

Although heck, you have been a member of this board for two years longer than me.... who am I to tell you anything? I think your fan cred is solid. :) 

14. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

What these guys said.

Do you like Transformers? Then you're a fan.

The issue you describe is something else. Sound's like hobbyist's remorse or something that sounds intelligent. :)  There are times I think to myself "Man, I just spent $35 buying three deluxe sized Transformers... I could have done [so-and-so] with that money..." But in the end, I really enjoy all of my toys. Buying them makes me happy, and having them makes me happy. I have a real sense of satisfaction owning a plastic (sometimes intermingled with die-cast!) incarnation of a character I really like.

My bills are paid, and as long as I keep it that way, my hobby brings me a lot of happiness, and that makes it worth the money that goes into it.

But yeah... having something as expensive as henkei Thundercracker come out so crappy has GOT to be really disheartening. I'm sorry to hear about that. There's bad eggs all over the place... don't let it get in the way of collecting if it makes you happy. :)  If it doesn't make you happy... don't do it.

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Like other people have said we all have phases.

Myself the stuff between Beast Wars and Cybertron just didn't interest me. Didn't mean I stopped liking Transformers, it just meant it was an era that did peek my interest. And I think just about every collector has purchased something at some point and wonders if they should have spent the money on it or not.

Just because you have a low here and there doesn't mean you are not a fan. Just like the size and cost of your collection doesn't matter as much as how much you love your collection.