AM-14 Vehicon

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Maniac23, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Maniac23

Maniac23 resident Tim

Yesterday I received two of my first Arm Micron Prime figures in the shape of two vehicons. This is also my first experience of the prid/AM vehicon mold as I currently have 1 hasbro vehicon sitting in a pile of loot along with AM Skywarp & Terrorcon Cliffjumper. Hopefully the flash from my camera is not to off-putting, I am planning to get a few lamps in place for better photography in the near future.

packaging: The Arm Micron packaging is definitely harkens back to the Japanese Micron/superlink/galaxy force deluxe packaging. Very colorful and eye-catching and since I was a sucker for the awesome packaging on Japanese figures from those days, this is right up my street.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The inner packaging, however, is not as colorful and eye-catching as those of the past, quite a lot of plain cardboard for such a small deluxe which is smack bang in the middle. Of course the figure is the most important part here so it is not that big of a deal but I thought it worth mentioning.

[​IMG]

Both the figure and micron parts sprue removed.

[​IMG]

Although smaller than its First Edition brother in alternate mode, the AM vehicons' car mode is exellent. Solid and made from nice shiny dark purple plastic and of course it doeshave four of those molded micron ports, two on either side of the car front and back. Unlike Knock-out, Bumblebee and Ratcher, I don't think that these are that conspicuous or garish, perhaps the vehicon being so dark in color helps conceal them more efficiently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The vehicon is definitely one of those molds with plenty of character though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The transformation for this guy is amazing, I love how pretty much the whole car chassis collapses within the legs without comprimising the Vehicon robot mode. The lighter purple on the limbs and torso really break apart all the dark plastic giving this figure a perfect symmetrical form. Articulation is also pretty good, although the head does suffer from the flip-out gimmick as well as the collar at the neck, this does not really matter to myself personally but it may irk other. The vehicon mold is definitely one of those molds with plenty of character.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My flash does hinder the view of the stickers here but a clear view of the Arm Micron parts on its sprue. The stickers themselves make up purple accents for the shins, waste, grill above the shins, headlights and decepticon logos for the chest and grill in car mode. The rest of the decals are for the Micron and 2 larger decepticon logos that seem to have no purpose on the Vehicon. I'll probably use them for Hercules members. I have seen a lot of complaints regarding the decals for these AM figures but i must say that I did not have many problems applying the vehicon decals and I actually like the look of them. My only reservation is with the silve decal that is applied around the gun barrel on the Micron, it doesnt really hold together that well but a small dab of glue could fix this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The micron was pretty simple to put together, although I missed the step with the decepticon insignia that goes inside the green circle on the micron and had a hard time getting it back out. I will admit that I prefer the gun mode to the 'animal?' mode as obviously as a gun it has a purpose. I doubt anyone is really going to display this micron in its 'animal?' mode. The decals on the micron serve their purpose breaking up all the dark plastic and I really do like the decepticon insignia within the green circle on the top of the gun mode.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall I have to say my first impressions of the Arm Micron line is pretty positive. I think the vehicon is a well engineered Transformer with plenty of play value, troop building this guy should make for some interesting photos in the coming months and i definitely recommend getting this guy. I also hope that Takara is planning a single release for the vehicon micron as I think as a weapon alone, it is one of the better Microns coming our way.

I hope this review has been decent enough as it has been my first actual attempt at reviewing a Transformer and I hope I may persuade some folk to pick this version of the vehicon up.

regards
    Stu

2. tb-1599

tb-1599 Well-Known Member

very cool now hopefully the jet cons will be released soon.

3. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    They're released at the end of this month I believe.

Anyway nice review, do you have the RID version for comparison shots or no?

4. Maniac23

Maniac23 resident Tim

Unfortunately I don't, I have a Prid vehicon sitting in a pile of loot just now, these guys came in from Robot Kingdom.

5. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Man, I hate that Minicon. Looks nice in gun mode but... doesn't seem to have the awesome mounting options of RiD Vehicon, and the bot mode is... a gun with legs. And I usually love these Minicons.

6. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    I would like to know if there is a diffrence in the shade of Purple.

The shots so far of Jet Vehicon makes it look like they may nicely match Skywarp.

7. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Huge guns looks just wonky on this figure - which wasn't hit all that hard by the "no paint, stickers only" stick.

Love the AM packaging and idea, but really prefer the US line in general.

8. bagofshhh

bagofshhh Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is the Micron supposed to be a wart hog with tusks? If so, I kind of like it.

9. Maniac23

Maniac23 resident Tim

I think that is indeed what it is supposed to be, i think the jet vehicons micron is to be re-molded and resemble an iguana.

10. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    That's what I was thinking.

11. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    No worries. :) 

12. indifferent

indifferent Well-Known Member

Got this figure in the mail yesterday. Like the OP said, the arm micron ports don't really look out of place. In fact, there's one molded on the trunk/rear bumper of the car; making it look even more like the Batmobile. The shade of purple is not really different than the RID release. The only part where it's barely noticeable is on the knee spikes. I'll probably sticker this guy up on the weekend after a thorough wash since there's plenty of mold-release on the car parts, which would keep the stickers from adhering correctly.

13. soymonk

soymonk Mathematical!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    I loved this mold and it was kind of fun putting together the Micron that it came with.

I really don't like the idea of the stickers though. Overall, they look pretty nice on the Vehcion, but I would've preferred some nice paint apps to make the details pop out.

14. Anthony Adams

Anthony Adams Well-Known Member

Just ordered one of these guys from amazon.com (couldn't get the PRID version), would have ordered two, but i'd just ordered AM-12 breakdown a few moments before, and that's quite a lot for me in one go, and i figured that had been enough for now. I've spent a lot on TFs this year, and i'm running out of display space (as well as storage space for the boxes)

15. sixpointsinspace

sixpointsinspace Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got mine earlier in the week and I also have the RID one. I would need to compare closer but my inkling is that the plastic is slightly darker on the AM version. It looked different to me.

I disagree on the decals, I found the leg ones a pain to get on and look nice. Its one giant sticker per leg and its hard to get on with no creases or air pockets. Additionally, the stickers do end up missing a couple of the apps the paint has on the PRID version too. The PRID definitely has the best paint/deco.

That said I love the batmobile thruster on the back on this version and the micron is freakin awesome. It helps make him stand out as its essentially a sniper rifle version of the same gun that comes with the PRID complete with flip up scope. In my mind hes like the sniper elite Vehicon.

One negative about the gun is that I haven't found a way to make it look "integrated" into the arm as well as the PRID version yet. I found some fan modes which look ok but in general it kind of has to be held like a sniper rifle, and not as a sheathed arm gun. So YMMV on that if you prefer the sheathed look.

I agree with one of the OP that the alt mode of the Micron is probably supposed to be a boar since there are molded on tusks. If the tusks were not there I would immediately have thought ant-eater though. The nose is WAY long. He has a ton of character though. One of my top 3 microns only slightly behind Breakdowns Rhino/Hammer and the Drill/Ox that came with Skywarp. As a weapon I think it is probably the best, epic sniper rifle.

I dont regret getting the import of this one or Breakdown.

16. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    I got this and Breakdown in the same box. It was a good choice. I have the RiD version and now I have this one. The jet will make my third vehicon, so I think I'll be good. The micron is pretty neat. I didn't realize he turned into a warthog at first until I noticed the little tusks on it. I really dig it. The vehicon is still an amazing mold. The stickers that go on the midsection are kind of a pain in the genitals being so thin, but they're easy to maneuver and push around on the plastic to get them in the right place. I had to take mine off a few times to get them in the position I wanted them in.

17. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    You are 3/4th correct!!

Noji(aka...the Vehicon's Action Master Partner) is meant to be a boar. It fails.
    Noji - Transformers Wiki

Where Igu(aka...the Jet Vehicon's Action Master Partner) is,yes,an iguana ,but is not a retool. It's just a whole new mold that looks a crap load like Noji.
    Igu - Transformers Wiki

18. soymonk

soymonk Mathematical!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    I actually kind of like Noji :( 

It may not be the best Micron in the line, but it's fun to mess around with.

19. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    Yeah. He looks good.....he just looks like that dog thingy from Predators instead of a real boar. Just because he fails to look like a boar doesn't mean it's the runt of the bunch. Hell.....I think he has the best gun mode of all of of them, both Decepticons and Autobots.:) 

20. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    Can anyone post comparison pics with the PRIDE one? :D