"Always the same. Go into stasis, wake up grouchy."

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by littleiron, May 22, 2006.

1. littleiron

littleiron Little I.N.S.A.N.E IroN

News Credits:
    This's my guess on how WarWithin Grimlock and his G1 namesake connect.

Grimlock the tank was dead, but spark remained and was frozen.
    Until the Pax Cybertronia, until the downsizing technology developed, on ancient Earth, he is able to rebirth as Maximal.
    For whatever reason, he fell asleep once more.
    Wheeljack found him in the ruins along with partial Maximal tech;
    Grimlock is online again but lost all memory ...
    (yeah, this story tells us don't ever use any from-the-future stuff)

2. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I like it.

In this "new" comic Universe we have been given, we know that Grimlock and the Dinobots were actually alive on Cybertron (War Within), as opposed to being created on Earth (G1 cartoon).

In the Beast Wars comic, we know that Grimlock is alive on ancient Earth. How is that possible? Did he get knocked off the Ark and landed separate from the other Autobots? Or is he still alive that far in the future?

OMG HEADACHE.

And no, I didn't read the Beast Wars comic.

3. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually, having read the BW comic, it's stated that Grimlock was onboard the Axalon's crew roster (in stasis). Meaning, that he's alive in the far off future and landed (for a second time) on ancient Earth. So, my take is that he's already had his showdown with Shockwave and trapped in a tarpit with the rest of his Dinobots (G1 Grimlock) and he's just woken up on Earth again (BW Grimlock). One's meant to be in the timeline (G1) and the other is temporally displaced do to the events of BW (BW).

So, at this point in time you have two Grimlock's on ancient Earth... meaning that the G1 one better have already had his showdown with Shockwave, because the two don't need to create a temporal paradox by meeting up with one another. :D  However, I doubt that even be possible with the slight nano-second displacement that they're using to hide the comic cast from the show cast in the comic.

4. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

I haven't watched the relevant G1 episodes in a long time, so I may be inaccurate, but this is the way I always saw it. Every other created TF on earth had a big deal made about getting to Vector Sigma to bring them to life. But the Dinobots didn't. Why?

I always figured that the Dinobots had previously been alive, but instead of being killed they had just been "brain damaged". Autobots saved them, but really didn't have the resources to build them new bodies. Maybe they were a low priority compared to others. Maybe they were a little bit scary before their accident and too Decepticon like - better just to leave them on ice until something could be done.

Or maybe there was even a cultural thing against bringing them back because they wouldn't really be the same person they were before.

At any rate, Wheeljack was willing to try to bring them back to life and didn't know (or given his personality, didn't care) about the potential consequences. Thus, the Dinobots were born!

With Beast Wars added to the mix there are a bunch of new concepts introduced that make this even more plausible, or so I'm told. I'm not intimately familiar with the Beast Wars universe.

5. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

Couldn't the order just as easily be switched around?

Grimlock the tank was dead, but spark remained and was frozen.
    Wheeljack found him in the Ark and revives him.
    Third Cybertronian War ends, Grimlock decides this sucks - there's nobody to kill and puts himself on ice.
    Until the Pax Cybertronia, until the downsizing technology developed, on ancient Earth, he is given rebirth as Maximal because of the Predacon menace.

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    The cartoon Dinobots, I always thought, were special cases. Their primitive brains to me seemed to be a direct result of the way that they were built. With no way of reaching Cybertron, Wheeljack improvised and instead with Chip's help wrote a complex AI that took the place of Vector Sigma.

Seeing how unstable that made the Dinobots, it's little wonder why everyone made a big deal of going to Vector Sigma thereafter!

Anyway, I digress. I really like the idea, and it does make a lot of sense that any Maximal tech that might have been missed may have been found by someone at some time. Why not rebuild it into a new character? Kinda tragic, though, being forever caught in a timeloop like that.

7. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

LI:

But in rebuilding Grimlock, Wheeljack has caused him to have a different future to the one that previously caused the Dinobot to be in those ruins. Great Scott,it's a time paradox! This may destroy the entire universe!

8. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    The BW comic specifically happened 70,000 years ago. The events from the Marvel comic you describe are said to be four million years ago. No danger of G1 Grimlock meeting BW Grimlock, unless someone goes to the Savage Land to unearth G1 Grimlock too early.

All this assumes that this portion of the Marvel continuity is taken to be the BW continuity..... (Others have already spoken assuming the cartoon continuity, which assumes Grimlock was built on Earth.)

9. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Sorry I thought this was really straight forward, WWI grimlock leaves on the ark and becomes G1 grimlock and then after the great war ends gets up graded to a maximal leaves again on the axalon gets thrown back in time and becomes BW grimlock. Sorry but they would have made some kind of deal out of BW Grimlock becoming G1 grimlock, plus given G1 grimlock seemed to remember the WWI but not BW or the fact that he knows how the great war will end and stuff pretty much put end the idea that G1 grimlock is descended from the BW Grimlock.

10. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Grimlock's head hurts, me want to go to Toy Forum and forget everything me just read...

11. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, that's true forgot about that little bit.

Well, the only reason I brought up the events of the G1 Marvel comic is because he was attempting to say that this was how WW Grimlock (whom was shot and supposedly died in WWIII) became G1 Grimlock. Which, how he could jump to such an riduclous conclusion is beyond me to be honest. And, I had always assumed that DW G1 Grimmy's origin was similar to the G1 Marvel origin simply because of the way he was portrayed.

It's probably as simple as this really: WWI Grimlock probably went into stasis... Furman was just writing dramatically when he made it look like he died... and was later repaired. He than journeys onboard the Ark to Earth... fights through to the end of the Great War and eventually undergoes the Maximal upgrade. Than he leaves on the Axalon and we meet him in the comic. So, I'm not really sure how he gets this crazy (if not interesting) time travel theory of his.