ALTS as convention exclusives???

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by 26_Mirage, Jul 7, 2007.

1. 26_Mirage

26_Mirage Heroic Stunticon

Beg pardon if this has already been discussed but is it possible that the ALT line will continue for a while as convention exclusives? I came to accept the line's demise prior to hearing about the new excl. Hot Rod and was in "what do I need to COMPLETE this collection?" mode. Then upon hearing of Hot Rod I began thinking...Will Hasbro start putting these out 1 or 2 a year? Think about all of the paint schemes not yet used...red,yellow, blue,black Mustangs; white, yellow Ford GT's etc. You get the idea. Completing an ALT collection could get rather expensive.

Switching gears...those of you who have customized ALT Prime or Nem. Prime: How hard is it to dis-assemble, paint, and re-assemble Prime to make a custom Trailbreaker? Would it be worth the extra $$ to just pick up a Nem. Prime rather than painting a red Prime? Thanks for any input.

2. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

I think that Hasbro said that they might continue Alts as a convention exclusive sort of thing like they've done with Nem Prime and Hot Rod, but I can't remember where I saw that.

3. Banshee

Banshee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope to god no. Let it just end with Hot Rod. I'm gonna have a hard enough time getting it as it is.

4. hockeygamer40

hockeygamer40 Autobot Hockey Player 40

News Credits:
    Several of us were at the Botcon Hasbro booth asking about that. It would be easy for them to put out a Frenzy repaint of Rumble (opposite color scheme).

5. LiquiD

LiquiD Well-Known Member

i just want to see the WRX finally repainted into a decepticon. i mean, what'd it get like 5 autobots?

6. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FP has said that it's unlikely due to mold costs. Yeah, SDCC is getting one, but that's Hasbro, not FP, and to an extent, it's a corporate prestige/advertising exclusive, so it's probably not as big a deal if they lose a little money on it.

FP runs the conventions to make money, nothing more, and they don't have the same advantages as Hasbro far as economies of scale go.

On the other hand, FP brought up the possibility of Leader-class exclusives in the future, but said flat-out that that the cost would be passed along to us.

7. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I wouldn't pay more for Botcon exclusives unless they were nothing short of fucking STUNNING.

8. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

Yeah no shit.

Although a BotCon set to complete the Stunticons in Alt Fashion would be cool as all hell.

Even with higher costs coulcn't FP just mark an Alt exclusive at $40-$50 for one and turn a profit? I would hate to pay it, but would for some Alt holes to be filled (Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Trailbreaker, Hoist, etc). It seems easy enough to do just with repaints.

9. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Funny, SQ7 and I were talking about this the other day....we both agreed that the next SDCC exclusive would be Alt Frenzy, and then you have the others, such as the Scion mold....these could easily be redone into Ironhide and Ratchet as an SDCC exclusive...and the list goes on from there....but more than likely they would be repaints of existing molds...nothing new like the Cadillac XLR/Megatron that we never got.

And I agree, if they went this route, it would get expensive trying to keep an Alt collection complete....I just hope that Alt Hot Rod is the last for the sake of my wallet....but at the same time I'm still sad to see the line come to an end officially....we'll always have customs though! :D 

10. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    I agree, way too expensive for exclusives. I did not mind plunking down $20 for an alt. I was a little hesitant in spending the $50 for Nemesis Prime. If they decide to bring the line back at retail prices that would be great, if not then it's time to say goodbye.

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Discoutined like the Daewoo.

12. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I feel the same. If they just added the difference between a Voyager and a Leader on to the price, that'd be one thing, but you know it wouldn't work like that.

And I'm not sure what Leader figure would work for next year's set. No fucking way I'd pay exclusive prices for a white Leader Prime or a purple Leader Megatron, not from any line. And who do we have from Cybertron? Metroplex? Primus? And I don't wanna even think about Supreme Cybertron Thundercracker or Skywarp.

I don't see many options with any Leader figures except MAYBE Movie Brawl: G2 Megs? 'Classics' Warpath or Bludgeon? But those would all work with Deluxe Brawl and a head remold just as well, and it'd probably be too soon anyways.
    That would be AWESOME. But think about the markup for Deluxe Airrazor and Voyager Astrotrain. They had head-remolds, that's true, but still, it was a big jump.

Honestly, I wonder if Hasbro wouldn't wanna reserve the easy 'n cheap repaints as a just-in-case. Besides, can you imagine the fanboy outrage if FP continued the Alt line with desirable repaints? I bet it would make the Seeker foolishness this year look like a married couple discussing restaurant options for date night.