Alternity vs. Binaltech

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TheBigMachine, Dec 3, 2009.

?

Which do you prefer?

1. Alternity

35 vote(s)
    36.5%
  2. Binaltech/Alternators

61 vote(s)
    63.5%
  1. TheBigMachine

TheBigMachine Initiating JAZZ HANDS!

News Credits:
    A several of questions for those of you who have both:

1) Which line is has better articulation & detail?

2) Which color version of Megatron is best Silver, Black or Blue... I'd only go with one (The blue one, what's that based off of anyway)?

3) Which color version of Convoy is best Red, Black or Both (I'm not considering silver because, again, I'm not sure what that's based on)?

4) Is the smaller scale a plus or a negative for you?

2. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I think if they stick to smaller characters like Bumblebee, Brawn, Gears,whellie, etc the lines can co-exist as those characters are naturally smaller. They just have to plan the character selection better.

3. kamuix

kamuix weeeeee

1.) they both have decent articulation like any other figure. the only difference is that alternity will have some die cast making it a bit heavy.

2.) i'm assuming the colors are just for fun :D  if u like the blue go for it but i got silver.

3.) picky any color, for me i don't really care about their origin. if they look cool i'd get it. so i have the silver prime.

4.) i don't mind the scale as all the other features make up for it like the weapons, die cast, and details :D 

4. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm unhappy they changed scale only because it separates the lines when they really are nearly the same thing. Also Grimlock and the MP seekers seem to be scaled to interact with the BT figures.

My favorite figures are still from late in the Alternator/BT line. The detail work on that line got better and better as it went.

Although I don't like the alternity figures quite as much as the best of the old line, the details have only continued to improve (although the new BB/Cliffjumper mold seems a bit troubled to me- still getting it though). I also LOVE how Convoy and Megatron seem to be the perfect mariage of movie esthetic and G1 esthtic. (more details/pieces than tformers used to have- but not to the point where EVERYTHING is segmented).

My favorite figures in order would be

1. Mirage
    2. Prime (BT/kissplayer version)
    3. Megatron (alternity)
    4. Convoy (alternity)
    5. Hot Rod (BT/KP)
    6. Jazz (BT) (he'd be much higher on the list if his headsculpt was better- it has that blocky playschool quality that the first half of the line had)
    7. Ravage (jaguar version)
    8. Skids

5. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Alts/BT. Alternaty doesn't do it for me. I'm happy with my BTs and ALTs.

6. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like the Alternity figures more. I will have them all once Bumblebee and Cliffjumper arrive tomorrow. I feel the diecast is better positioned in the Alternity figures to provide better balance in the figures. It would have been nice if they stuck with minibots then they would display great with MP & Alt/BT. I used to like the the larger scale transformers but I find myself enjoying the smaller deluxe size these days, it all started when they released henkei/universe Sideswipe, Sunstreaker , Hound, & Mirage. I just love that size/scale now.

7. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. Alternity definitely has a higher detail-density. Binaltechs/Alternators have more joints and better articulation.

2. There are things I like about each color scheme. Silver is solid without any drawbacks other than being very typical for a Megatron. The black one has very nice contrasting orange detail that lends itself well to being the BAMF of the three. I bought the blue one because it was different from the usual repaints, and the blue finish really works well in vehicle mode (there's a picture of it in my photo thread below).

3. Similarly, the red one is also solid but typical. The black one is the BAMF with the popping aqua accents, and I bought the silver one because I think the mold works best with homogenous colors. I almost bought the red one, but I felt that the Optimus Prime colors were a bit forced onto the mold, i.e. the knees and waist being sort of abrupt in the midst of all that red.

4. I prefer my figures to be as small as possible, within reason. That is, small enough to get the job done without sacrificing detail, articulation, posability, etc.

8. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    I'm a bigger fan of Alternity. The smaller size is the exact reason I like it and the the figure looks better in robot mode compared to the Alternators. So far I choose silver for Convoy (a bit regret I didn't buy the red one too), blue for Megatron (the grey is a bit too close to my Convoy, and blue actually looks nice too). I'm going to get Bumble when I find it in local shop.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the line and hoping it will continue!

9. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

BTs also include diecast. They have much more heft to them than an Alternity figure.

Personally, I prefer my Alternity Convoy to my BT Convoy. There is much more detail, the figure is much better balanced in terms of appearance (ie - he doesn't look like the vehicle mode is just standing on end) and has far superior articulation. Though BT Convoy has the better head sculpt.

That said, other BTs/Alts are incredibly well done. I recently picked up Alt Rodimus and he absolutely blows away Alternity Convoy in terms of articulation and poseability.

Really, I'd say it's a toss-up between the two lines. Alternity feels like it's a scaled down continuation of BT, but with some slight design changes to make it more in line with the movie designs.

10. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. Alternity definitely has more detail; really slick for being smaller. Transformations are also more complex, if that's a good (or bad) thing for you; Prime's legs are a pain to get right and I have all three versions of the mold. Articulation leans toward Alternators/Binaltech; Megs being so top heavy limits posability because his legs won't hold up in certain poses for me. The Alternators aren't exactly like Revoltechs, but they're solid in posability. I prefer the detail put into Alternity over the Alternators line; so many Alternators look and feel a bit clunky and awkward...though with Bumblebee's/Cliffjumper's chest piece thing, we'll see how Alternity goes from here and starts to get clunky too.

2. I prefer the silver for Megs not just for tradition but because I like the look of it for the robot and car modes...but the blue does look beautiful. I'm not a fan of the Diamond Black one though.

3. All three versions of Prime work for me; I rarely buy repaints that aren't different characters (though I think with the Alternity storyline behind everything it gets complicated), but I bought the Silver and Red ones because they both look awesome. I prefer the silver one. The black version goes with my Black Convoy/Nemesis Prime figures and it's just as nice as the other too.

4. So far it's a plus, since detail has been added (rather than subtracted) despite the smaller size...I'll wait and see how the line continues before taking a firm position. If anything it provides a chance to cover characters not touched on in Alternators/Binaltech (Megs, Bumblebee, Cliffjumper) and I wouldn't mind that continuing and seeing the Seekers, Soundwave and Ironhide/Ratchet show up before the usual suspects (Prowl/Bluestreak/Smokescreen, Jazz, Sideswipe/Sunstreaker, etc.).

11. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would say cost is what keeps me from diving into the Alternity line, but considering the prices the Alts/BTs are going for nowadays, that seems moot.

Still, i prefer the size of the Alt/BT line and the style. I am not a huge fan of their complexity, though. Still, they are some bad ass, intimidating looking molds.
    Wheeljack/Grimlock especially.

I personally am waiting to see more alternity molds and if one strikes me as being cool, i will grab it. for now, easy passes.

12. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think it's pretty obvious of what my preferences are :) 

Regarding answering your questions:

1.) I'd say they're both about the same. It seems that Alternity used the learning curve of Binal Tech, though.

2. & 3.) ? (I'm not sure what these two questions have to do with this poll/discussion.)

4.) YES X infinity

13. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

I don't find that to be accurate...if anything, I'd give Alts/BTs the complexity edge.

I like the Alternity figures, but I still have a bit of a hard time justifying their cost. $50 a piece for deluxe size figures has limited me to one of each mold.

14. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A several of questions for those of you who have both:

1) Which line is has better articulation & detail?
    over all i would say alt/bt has better art and detail since they have different car models (jeeps/gt/rx-8/ram/viper) and their detail is really dead on, i mean most can pass for die cast models to the unsuspecting eye.....i think if alternity continues, it will come close to catching alt/bt for detail and artic...but as of now, alt / bt has my vote

2) Which color version of Megatron is best Silver, Black or Blue... I'd only go with one (The blue one, what's that based off of anyway)?
    ive got all 3, i prefer the blue, only b/c to me, its the most differnet look for him....and i like that color blue

3) Which color version of Convoy is best Red, Black or Both (I'm not considering silver because, again, I'm not sure what that's based on)?
    i like the silver over red and black, again b/c its not really expected and so with a completely new line of toys, i like to see thier ability to mix colors up a bit....but b/w red and black...i prefer the black, although..............red is the more traditional choice

4) Is the smaller scale a plus or a negative for you?
    im indiffernt to the size really, i mean, with the alternity, the small size allows for more figs in a smaller box to be stored, take up less shelf space and i can use weopons and other accessories from different toy lines as their own....jokers hat, some spawn guns...but the die cast of alt/bt looks more like display cars, than toys....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Rquiem

Rquiem Dutchbot

News Credits:
    1) Both have about the same in articulation.

2) I have the silver and definatly getting black. Blue just doesnt feel right for a Megatron mold. (personal opinion) I think that the blue is a homage to the blue generation2 tank toy that cam out late 80's/early 90's.

3) I love them all, but Silver definatly has my preferences. The carmode and robot mode just fit with this color. Red/Blue seems forced on the mold in robot mode and black just seems to bland. Silver is just more new to me.

4) I actually prefer the small scale, since there could be bigger molds like trucks being used on similair scale. Binaltech trucks would be too costly to produce i think, but at a smaller scale like alternity..........
    Besides i love the mechanics in the transformation on this scale, yet the car looks like a good scaled modelcar.

Definatly Alternity over Alternators/Binaltechs

16. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I voted BT for now but then I have 14 of them... My first Alternity is due to arrive next week.

However, if Alternity bring out some more moulds and more familiar G1 faces then it could take preference.

17. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    I own every Binaltech, every Kiss Player, every Binaltech Asterisk, and every Alternator. I loved the line as a whole.

But with that said, so far I'm preferring Alternity. I just like the way they're engineered more, and they're smaller but more intricate in construction - making them more impressive.

Randy

18. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Seconded. Although I eventually see myself getting out of TFs, my full sets of Alts/BT/BTA/KP will be the last things to go - even after G1.

Alternity isn't blowing me away yet, and the new BB/CJ molds are a step backwards, from my perspective. I do like the smaller size, though - makes the engineering even more impressive.

19. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    I was a big fan of Binaltechs, but I prefer Alternity. The engineering is better (as it should be, some years on), the detailing is better, and actually the smaller scale doesn't bother me now I've actually got them.

Convoy works well, Megatron is just excellent - and I wasn't keen on the look of Bumblebee/Cliffjumper at first, but, in the flesh, Cliffjumper's great too! Really looking forward to seeing what other cars, charcters and designs they come up with.

20. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I prefer the scale of Alternity. They're like what a deluxe could be with no budget constraints.

Definitely go with blade silver Megatron. It's a really cool silver, similar to ROTF Sideways, but looks vastly better.

Optimus, I passed on red and went with Silver. It's a different shade to Megatron by the way. Red will probably cost you more now.