Alternity Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Scourge_151, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Scourge_151

Scourge_151 Dangerous when naked! TFW2005 Supporter

Got Megatron on Monday, here's a quick review.

I'll do some pictures with him and Alternity Convoy soon, haven't had him back in vehicle mode yet even!

Vehicle Mode
    [​IMG]
    The colour is lovely, lots of detail on the body there. The panels didn't seem to fit together as well as Convoy's GTR, but I haven't transformed him back yet to know if this was just how he was put in the packaging.

Robot Mode
    [​IMG]
    Transformation seemed a lot easier than Convoy's, his torso ends up nice and solid, the lower legs are less so though. Not a big problem, but he doesn't feel as solid as Convoy (again).

Weaponary
    [​IMG]
    Swords are really cool and fit nicely into his hands, they also peg securely onto his thighs for storage. Megatron also has wrist weapons like Convoy, they are little blades that flip out from the seatbacks on his forearms.
    I'll need to mess with him a bit more to get the feel of his posability, but in the short time I did pose him I wasn't found frustrated by the joints and range he has.

Overall
    [​IMG]
    Cool, well made, well painted, not quite as solid as Convoy.

*Oh, additional, I eagerly await someone translating his bio, if it's anything like Convoy's it'll be mind-boggling!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  2. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    His head reminds me of hooded monk or something.

3. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Or maybe like some other "hooded" Decepticon, like Bludgeon minus the skullface?

4. Kando

Kando Well-Known Member

I am so getting this.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Reminds me of a retarded Megatron, but that's indicative of the line itself.

6. iheartarcee

iheartarcee Idonotheartbeastwars

and then im stealing it from you

7. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Now now Allen. I'm sure they'll do an ALT/BT of the GTR and 370Z ... a million years from now. :p 

8. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    I will get the blue version!

9. Kando

Kando Well-Known Member

You would, even knowing the things I do to my toys.

10. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Nice! Mine's on the way from BBTS, should have it in a couple of days, can't wait!

11. RobotoChan

RobotoChan Nothing to see here

News Credits:
    Hmmm... I was a rabid fan of Binaltech for many years and was anticipating great things from this line.

Convoy didn't really do it for me. It was the first time I actually held a figure before purchasing it (normally I just import them without knowing what to expect) and the figure was a bit of a let down. Given the high cost, I decided against it.

This Megatron seems even less impressive. The panels in alt mode look worse than Convoys, leading to the same kind of shattered look that Universe Ratched/Ironhide suffered from.

Megatrons face sculpt is... interesting. I don't see Megatron in that face at all. It does appear familiar but I cannot put a name to the face :( 

12. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

With that big piece of rectangular kibble behind his head, and his chin strap making his (closed) lips look like a downward "GRRR" gritted teeth expression, the face looks a lot like G1 Motormaster.

13. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    HEY! They aren't retarded, maybe the designers are, but it is meant for the Japanese fans. I'd like to see some of the G1 figures be done in the same scale using some more "universal" figures like small trucks/vans (cough, Ironhide, cough), etc.

14. Superquad7

News Credits:
    No, the designers are talented. I'm just peeved that we didn't get these at 1:24 scale.

As far as these being made for Japanese fans, TakaraTOMY's target market are it's natives as well as those in a very close radius. That being said, Japanese fans and US fans like much of the same things regarding TFs :) 

15. rherk

rherk KNERDOUT

Ebay:
    I'm not so sure I completely agree with that. I tend to think the Japanese collector expects more when it comes to detail and paint applications and are willing to pay for the extra level of details where the American consumer is not. I think Alts/BT's are the perfect example of that and/or the Universe line. Hasbro released sub par paint jobs with cheap plastic and a majority of American consumers ate it up. Just my thoughts.

16. 9.8m/s^2

9.8m/s^2 What's in a name?

Also, quite importantly, Japanese collectors tend to go for smaller items, due to the overall lack of storage space in a lot of Japanese homes. In Japan (and much of Asia, really), it's valuable to be able to pack as much complexity and gimmickry into a small space (and thus pay more per unit volume), whereas in the US, I've seen that fans generally want stuff to be bigger and more impressive looking.

Mine is still in transit, but from the photos, there's something odd about Megatron's mouth....did he get collagen injections? His lips look bigger than Megan Fox'.

17. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Thanks for the review. I have to get this guy.

I couldn't help but touch up my favorite photo.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. Superquad7

News Credits:
    The key word in my quote is "much". Another key is the subject of this thread. I'm pretty certain those who'd be interested in this thread to begin with would be those interested in the things you mentioned (such as myself). :) 

Where I'd agree more with you would be if we were speaking of Japanese fans in general and US fans in general in terms of the whole target consumer base. Neither the Alt/BT or this Alternity line would be aimed at the same target consumer base that, say, RotF is aimed for. I suppose all I am trying to say is someone in Japan and someone in the US who is buying a BT or an Alternity figure would generally have the same expectations of a figure

Either way, I could have clarified myself a bit more :dunce 

19. rherk

rherk KNERDOUT

Ebay:
    I think a big aspect of it is that the laws in Japan are more lenient than the US child safety laws. Plus there are more adult collectors per capita.

20. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    Hes got lips. Big sexy lips. To quote a friend - NOT canon!