Alternity Convoy Super Black-Ultimate Silver-Vibrant Red Review/Comparison Photoshoot

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Draeck, Jul 11, 2009.

1. Draeck

Draeck Tanks can bounce

Got Alternity Convoy Super Black yesterday and haven't seen a non-video review of him yet.. And I also have the silver and red versions so I figured I'd try making a comparison/review.

Soo... As you might already know, Alternity Convoy comes in a sweet box. You get a good view of the alternate mode, cool boxart, the box opens easily, the insert is quite handy and most important of all, it's really really shiny :D 
    [​IMG]

First up, the vehicle mode:
    The vehicle mode is really good looking and has crazy detail! Doors, hood and trunk all open, you've got front and back seats, rubber wheels, miniature logo's and all that good stuff.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Out of the three, I think the Super Black version looks the best, the paintjob makes it look very sleek and badass. Also something of note, my red convoy rolls okay, but my silver convoy doesn't roll very well, which is a known issue. Fixed easily I believe by taking the tires off the wheels and putting them back the other way around. But here's the kicker, my black convoy rolls very well. I have not yet noticed anything different about the tires, compared to how the original silver and red versions were straight out of the box. Maybe i'm lucky, or maybe they fixed it, I hope so..
    So, vehicle mode: great looks, great detail, rolls well if you're lucky or if you do the easy fix, no robot face or anything saying hi on the bottom, rubber wheels(!) so if you ask me, its' a winner!

Transformation:
    A very cool one, not crazy hard, not to easy, just how I like it!
    The legs ask for some slight panelfolding and the chest has diecast automorph. Its not that hard to figure out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You have to be carefull with the foot pegs though, I'm don't remember if there was a fix for it or something, but it seems like it could break eventually due to stressing and stuff, so I never use the pegs since I don't have much trouble posing the guy without the connection anyway.

Teh Robomode:
    The robot mode looks really good if I might say so, not perfect, but good proportions, great paint apps, low kibblefactor, overall very cool look. There are also of course some foldout timeblastin' guns on the arms. He is backheavy though, not a problem, but don't try to get gravity defying poses out of him like you can with some bots, because your alternity convoys face will be kissing the ground.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Out of the three, most of you guys probably already know the red and silver botmode colorschemes... Mr. Nemesis is almost totally black, except for teal kneeguards or whatever its called and his teal.. sideburns/antenna's.. or whatever you call those...

[​IMG]

And he has an autobot symbol, according to his bio he's a nemesis prime that changed his ways or something entering alternity, so he was a bad guy, but he is now a good guy/autobot.. I think..

[​IMG]

The eyes are really awesome looking, I'm not completely sure, but it seems that they are clear, but painted red, or with a red piece in front of it, because I'd swear I've seen a bit of clear plastic in the eyes in some closeup pics I made.. nothing clear enough to show here though..

[​IMG]

Size Comparison
    Some pics to show the size, which is just a bit bigger than of most deluxes..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Super Black version, yay or nay?
    I have a very hard time choosing which one I like the most.. Obviously I digg all three of them since I bought them all. But out of the red and silver version I often thought the red had the better look in vehicle mode and the silver had the better looking robotmode. Both are awesome though..
    Now, the Super Black version has the best looking alternate mode I think, as I said, sleek and badass. In robotmode, I think it's a tie between silver and black..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Super Black version, at least mine, is slightly less tight than the other two. But don't get me wrong! It's not lose at all, the silver one I have was just crazy tight ever since I got it, the red is sort of in between.
    It's probably all quality control and or luck, even though the silver one will probably never get loose even in a million years, he doesn't fit together as perfectly in vehicle mode. Seems to me like there isn't an overall clear difference in quality between the three, all of em are better or worse in some parts.

If I absolutely had to choose the best looking botmode, I'd probably go with silver convoy, but that probably has more to do with optimus over nemesis, instead of silver over black. Overall, I think.. I think I have to go with Mr. Autobot Nemesis as the best one overall.. In real life, the black GTR just looks really good, and thus for me easily wins best vehicle mode .The robotmode is a tie, or an almost as cool as the silver, but the silver has the least cool colour in vehicle mode I think..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Really.. there isn't a clear winner.. If you don't have alternity convoy, this guy is totally worth a purchase as long as you can live with the pricetag. You will get a high quality figure for it! But the size can be a problem. I don't mind it and would rather have two convoys than some big honking pieces of plastic you can also get.. Which one you prefer, is probably all personal preference, but you can't really go wrong with any of the three. If you like alternity convoy and have the spare (yeah right) 50 or something bux, you should totally get it! And the Super Black version is simply the normal alternity convoy, but 10x more badass! The black paint really works! But it still is kinda weird that he's an autobot though... even with the bio and all..

[​IMG]

2. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Very nice review. I might have to get a red one next time.

3. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    Wow. Cool review. I wish I have all 3, but I can only support one

4. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks for the pics.

I think I'm going to need a 1:32 scale Nissan showroom to go with all these GT-Rs and 370Zs I've got or getting.

5. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    My Convoy Black will be arriving today. I waited a long time since I put my pre-order in!

6. Onoj

Onoj Active Member

Thanks for putting all the effort in, really great review. I've always liked detailed written/picture reviews more than video.

7. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    oh man,... i have the silver and red convoy and planned on passing on the nemesis one, but damn! your review convinced me of his AWESOMENESS!!!

i'll see. i have to think...

8. Razorwing

Razorwing The Fallen Alternity.

News Credits:
    Sweet.. I can't wait to get mine!

9. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    VERY nice.

10. orionpax636

orionpax636 What the...?

News Credits:
    Wow. That's a lot of cash, metal and Convoy on one shelf. :wink: 

Anyway, excellent pics, and thoughtful display to show differences. This should be a helpful resource to anyone that hasn't chosen one yet.

11. Paradigm-Shift Prime

Paradigm-Shift Prime Unit Warrior TFW2005 Supporter

Those are some great comparison shots, thanks for all the pics (I'm trying to decide on black convoy).

12. Razorwing

Razorwing The Fallen Alternity.

News Credits:
    No need to decide. Black Convoy pwns all. :D 

13. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Looks awesome, cant wait to get Black Convoy :D 

14. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    It's my favorite transformer ever.

15. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Opened mine up the other day and I must say this is one damn spiffy little toy. Was afraid it was going to be too small but it actually fits the size pretty well (deluxe figure essentially). I think my biggest complaint with the figure are his seats on his arms with the pop out blaster, right idea to hide his arm blasters in there but I just find they stand out a little too much. Overall though decent articulation and poseability and just a fun little figure to play around with :D 

In my opinion the pictures don't do this figure justice though, looks much better in person then the pic's make it out to be.

Black version is a must if people do pick this figure up, looks awesome and menacing. Will be on the lookout for the red version when I'm in Japan this September for sure :D 

Overall amazing little toy, I would recommend it for sure. Price is a little high considering the size but you still get a quality product no question. Hope they definitely make more of these as I think they are a worthy successor to Binaltech, lets just hope BB is better in person then some of the pic's make him out to be.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  16. updatedude

updatedude Well-Known Member

Excellent pics. These guys are beeeeudifoooh.

17. Scythe

Scythe Future Foundation

News Credits:
    I'm looking for the red convoy so hardcore, he's so nice! GT-R's are my favorite cars, if anyone wants to part with theirs, hit me up.

18. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

Ebay:
    I did have the silver but sold it when I finally got my hands on a red version - the pics are great (and thanks for the extra effort you went to) but they never do the toy justice ^^

There's just something about the glossy candy-apple red of the figure in robot mode that makes it stand out for me, but I can totally see why you'd love the silver. I have to say, the black looks totally badass.

Now if only the upcoming Bumblebee/Cliffjumper was as awesome as Prime...

19. nemesisconvoy

nemesisconvoy Gundam Pilot

I have to agree with everyone else....great fig. with awsome articulation and fantastic detail. It's a lil bit small for my taste and incedentally the price tag. but, a fun lil guy nonthe less.