Alternity Appreciation

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by videriant, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Got a Cliffjumper first, awesome figure. Then got Bumblebee and Black Megatron, with the evil emperor being defective. I got a blue one a while later and my replacement black is on the way.

Assuming you don't run into a lemon, the line is awesome. Top quality sculpting, great plastic used, sturdy ratchet joints, die-cast metal and intricate, gloss paint jobs. It's like a chogokin dream come true. Only downside is their crappy boxes and instructions. They don't hold a candle to binaltechs, sadly.

2. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    I really like the Alternity line, or rather, I really like the concept of it. It has so many of the features I want from a TF; non-traditional designs, some excellent engineering, high levels of articulation, attention to detail & great paint finishes.

Yet, I ended up selling on the vibrant red Convoy I bought; selling on the diamond black Megatron repaint; and there's too many little details about the BumbleJumper and Seekercar moulds that are just a little "off" for me, so I haven't bought em.

The only one I've kept is the silver blade Megatron, which is simply awesome, hands down my favourite Megatron bot design. It's the only one so far that's fulfilled the full potential of this line - and on top of that it makes the Binaltechs look as old, clumsy and cumbersome as they now are. I can hardly admit it, but it might even have better engineering than some of the Masterpiece line. Progress, eh?

So that's it for me; Masterpiece & Alternity are the only two lines I'm always interested in, altho I don't necessarily buy every one. When done right, they're remarkable. It's also a testament to how the movie designs finally dragged TFs up-to-date; the standard for design & engineering has had to go up, and you can see the crossover & progression between how the very best of those toys (Buster Prime, Leader Starscream) are made, how Alternity are made, how the MP Grimlock and Seekers were made. Hopefully this isn't just a brief highpoint in quality, because the Alternity line perhaps has the most potential as a more left-field series.

Or something :) 

3. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    These toys are indeed better than Binaltech/Alternators. I'm just scratching my head over Starscream. I will buy for sure, it is just odd that they tried so hard and succeeded so well in making a car turn into a robot shaped like Starscream... and then they colored it as if it was a new character. Why go homage on shape but not color? Especially when the shape is such an amazing success?

100% Starscream:

[​IMG]

If you don't like the "fake hood" not matching the color of the real hood:

[​IMG]

Why did they choose this?:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    true story right there.......that skywarp looks fantastic and Im not a seeker guy at all

5. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I love these! Have the Red Prime, Silver Megs, and BB, and CJ. After getting CJ, I wish Prime was more of a glossy red.

Cannot wait for the new ones.

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I'm not impressed in the least by them except for Bumblebee and Cliffjumper. Those two I was willing to spend the money on, though I really wish they were all plastic. I'm always concerned about the paint chipping off the diecast.

7. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Alternator/Binaltech size + Alternity Engineering = Masterpiece Autobots?

8. Taziir

Taziir Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Never thought I'd be a Radicon but now after seeing those photoshop's I'm going to have to learn how to paint!