Alternity Appreciation

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by videriant, Apr 24, 2010.

1. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Alternities - Second Thoughts

Finally got around to shipping my POL from BBTS so I finally have Megatron and all three molds.

I know we have a feedback section but those tend to just contain 1st impressions and are skewed. What does everyone who's had them for a while think?

Convoy - I only have the black version as I couldn't think of the red version as Optimus. However, I believe I could think of it as pre-Optimus Orion Pax. The only thing about the mold that bothers me is the where the leg tabs into the plastic. I leave it un-tabbed so I don't accidently crack it. Is there any reason to get the red or silver version?

Megatron - Only have the black version. Fits the samurai aspect better and the head bothers me less than the silver version. I also leave the legs untabbed but I think it affects his stability more. Should I bother with the Silver or Blue version if I like the mold but I'm not sold on the whole Megatron aspect?

Cliffjumper/Bumblebee - The more I fiddle with this mold the more I like it. Other then the steering wheel problem that I only experience once I've had no other problems.

Starscream/Skywarp - Quite a stretch for me. I'm a seeker whore so I'll probably get them but the colors aren't doing it for me and I don't see seekers when I look at them.

What is everyone else's thoughts?

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Convoy - I have, and love, the silver version. The plain silver and black lets the details shine though. As a flagship mold for the new series, he does really well. I'm not a fan of the arms, though. They seem a bit too small.

Megatron - I got the black version, as it seemed suitably evil and regal. The deco does a lot for the design, which is very fun. I like the samurai style that was used for this incarnation of Megatron. Lots of cool touches and details. I'd actually go as far as saying I like Megatron more than Convoy, or at least as much as Convoy.

Cliffjumper - I was not convinced by the first photos, but a combination of a sale at Kapow Toys, some awesome pics showing off the metallic red, and a Vangelus video review sold me on him. Having had him in hand, I can say he's my least favourite of the three, but he is still an excellent design.

Starscream / Skywarp - eagerly awaited!

I've found with the Alternity I've only liked each mold enough to want one version of them. It's good that we're being offered a variation up front, because the decos offer such a nice variety of designs. Although that knowledge, that I'll probably only get one, is making it hellishly difficult to decide between Starscream and Skywarp for A-04.

3. Keroshino

Keroshino OOGA, OOGA, OOGA-CHAKA!!!

News Credits:
    I got two versions of Megatron...and instantly loved them
    - Silver (Because it's megatrons original color)
    - Blue (The Blue looks gorgeous in both modes and i love the gold blades/swords)
    this made me decide on getting two of every mold/figure.

thus i also got both "Bumble" and "Cliff" (and again i instantly loved them too :D )

so i can't wait to get "StarScream" and "SkyWarp"

I missed out on getting "Convoy" or "Nemesis" :( 
    i definitely ordered Ultra Magnus...so i will at least have the mold/figure :) 

4. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got Vibrant Red Convoy, Blade Silver Megatron and both Bumble & Cliff. All of them a few days after their releases.

While I still love them all, I have to say that some flaws started to stand out a lot more a few weeks after buying them: Convoy's arms are way to far away from the front of the figure, I mean, if you pose his arms straight forward, it looks like he's too fat to touch his own belly button... Yeah, I know, since he's a robot, he does not have one so that's not so bad :p  but I still think of this as a major design flaw, like the tab at the back of his feet which looks like it will break if you plug it in... Bumble & Cliff have very big chests, I would have prefered them if they were just a little more skinny, plus, some part of the transformation will scratch the paint for sure (on the shoulder parts that is used to flip the back kibble in front of the head for alt mode).

Megatron seems like the best design to me in terms of engineering, plus he doesn't have any big design flaw in my taste. I still love the Convoy figure more though but probably because I'm kind of a Convoy junkie...

5. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    I have every version of each of them, and I really love this line. Probably my favorite line running right now.

Randy

6. katch26

katch26 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have the red Convoy and really like it, the only problem Ive had with mine is the ratchet joints in the upper thigh seem to not be tight enough.....

7. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i like them all sooo very much, when im not posing...playing with them i keep them in alt mode..and they look very ..grown up looking.....and i still like to fiddle with thm, im very excited for the ss and sw versions, as i love the technology in fabricating the workings that make them up as well as their feel...and the new car just looks kick ass :) 

8. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I don't own any Alternity, but I'm kinda glad to see this thread cos I was considering buying at least one of them.

I was a big Alternators fan, and when Alternity first came out, I couldn't afford it, and I wasn't into the idea of "Alternators scaling down." Though I did think Convoy looked cool, I thought Megatron looked gimpy as hell. Wasn't impressed with Bumblebee either. I do think Skywarp looks interesting, so I guess so far that's half of the line I'm curious about, and half I'm not.

However, the thing that really turned me from not interested to curious, was reading the TF Wiki and seeing the fiction. The idea of multi-dimensional Transformers who represent all of their namesakes in one body and who deal with the timestream rather than the old civil war, is a cool one. And for that reason, I wouldn't mind getting the Silver Convoy just to represent the Alternity faction on my shelf.

I'm still not sure I wanna pay the ebay prices for him, though.

9. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I don't own any of the Alternity figures, and didn't really think much of them, seeing they are slightly smaller than the Alternators.

But I'm seriously debating on getting Bumblebee.

10. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I own red Convoy and silver Megatron. I really love both, but I wish I waited and got the black Megatron. There's nothing wrong with the silver version, but I was enamored by photos of the black version and got impatient when Megatron was initially released :redface2: 

11. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    The price scares me off. I am a bargain TF buyer. I like what's in stores and maybe once every so often buy a 50 dollar tf. That being said, I don't own an alternity so I'm not really qualified to chime in. But I am interested in the Skywarp variant, so I may pick him up.

12. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Convoy- No regrets. Awesome piece, no matter how you look at it. The fact that it doesn't fit in with anything else adds to the appeal, IMO. Separates it from the "average" figures.

Megatron- Shit. It was alright up until the stupid tail light broke. And I wasn't too fond of it when it was in one piece. Samurai vibe is nice, face was ugly, car didn't hold together anywhere near as well as Convoy.

BB/CJ- Passed.

SS/SW- I plan on getting Skywarp upon release. I'd get Starscream, but I'm not a big fan of white cars... And the whatever it is actually looks pretty good in purple.

13. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    It seems that every time I break them out and transform them, I like them more and more. At first I didn't really care for them because of their smaller scale in comparison to BTs but each time I fiddle with them, I notice more and more how intricate the Alternity line really is.

One of the things that kinda bothers me still is the fact that I feel the figures are really delicate and fragile but now it's easily overlooked with the mechanisms Takara incorporated into them, such as the semi-automorph ability of the Convoy and Megatron molds.

When I first got Bumblebee and Cliffjumper I got frustrated at the transformation process, particularly the part where you slide the innards down so the head slides down. I wasn't aware that there's a "button" that locks the slide and the simple flip down tab unlocks it.

Now I transform Bumblebee/Cliffjumper with relative ease. :D 

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BTW, this thread is dedicated to Superquad7 who will forever hate TakaraTOMY for discontinuing Binal Tech for this smaller scale line. :D 

Attached Files:

14. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I actually like Alternity better than Binaltech/Alternators.
    I haven't picked up a Prime or Megs yet, but I've got Cliffjumper (which I'm selling if anyone needs one) and a Bumblebee on the way, and am looking forward to Starscream.

I was originally concerned that the intricate design on something so small would be cause for breakage, but these things are designed and constructed amazingly well. It's like they took what they learned from Binaltech, condensed it and made it better. Sort of like reducing a sauce. :) 

15. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've got Silver Convoy, Blue Megatron, and Bumble and Cliff. Didn't think I'd like Bumble and Cliff as much, due to their somewhat awkward proportions, but they're not too bad in person. They just look really bad from overhead views.

But I've come to really enjoy the line. They're quite solid and hefty, and I the finish on the toys is spectacular. Convoy and Megatron look kinda generic, but there seems to have been more of an attempt with Bumble and Cliff to inject more of the source character into the molds. Starscream and Skywarp are an even further extension of that, and I'm eagerly awaiting them as a result.

16. Ishino

Ishino Classics Enthusiast

News Credits:
    Love the Alternity line. I've got red Convoy, silver Megs, and BB. I don't plan on getting more than one of each mould, so it'll be Starscream next for me.

One other thing. Why the hell do all the websites call Alternity SS's alt mode an "Okamora" Orochi? Where the hell did "Okamora" come from? It's Mitsuoka Orochi.

17. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    This thread was made just 3 days ago. Maybe you should merge them?

18. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would appreciate it more if they didn't cost and arm and a leg and can sometimes have major problems, you know, so I could justify owning one.

If you sent me that Red Alternity Prime for free I could start appreciating it faster. :3

19. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bumblebee and Cliffjumper are 2 of the nicest TFs I own and I hope they get back to that G1 car aesthetic after the seekers. Would love to see scaled down (and tweaked) Subaru's or any of the other BTs. A 1/32 Smokescreen in those lovely Subaru Rally colours would be awesome. Ditto 1/32 Hound, Jazz and maybe more G1 inspired Wheeljack and Sideswipe figures...

Can't help thinking though that, with the scale being smaller than that of Alts, we could have gotten some EPIC toys. A 1/32 G1 Optimus as a truck with Alternity style engineering and a G1 feel could have been amazing (expensive, yes, but what the hey), ditto a 1/32 Megatron tank. 1/24 was always a little large for anything other than cars but with Alternity there's much more scope. Fingers crossed!

Certainly, other than Masterpiece, this is the ONLY TF line that offers me any kind of interest at the moment.

20. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    Alternity Red Convoy is a kickass fig. Design really "fits" the grand character. :rock :
    Awesome buy and addition to my collection! :D