Alternators worth it or not?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Rodimus Mike, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike I Drank What?

Ebay:
    After collecting Alternators for years now,I realized that its not worth it,I tried to
    find all the Rare figs,and ended up disappointed,like Decepticharge,Meister/Jazz,
    Hound,Optimus Prime,Mirage,Camshaft,and I am sure Rumble & Ravage next. So
    I ask yall if its really woth collecting them or not?,Also I rather collect mainline
    figs,that I can get easily,like Classics.And again LMK what you think about the
    Alt. line.

2. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    Alternators are by and large the finest quality Transformer line.

I don't see the need to be 'complete' any more once I realized I wouldn't be able to get them all without some major investments, but when you come across one you got to get it man.

as for alts vs classics... well theres certainly a lot more variety there. Classics Prime is a bit better than the similarly priced Alternator Prime. Its kind of up to you.

3. ALLAN

ALLAN ramp rat

Ebay:
    You need to take a vacation day and head to the DFW area.

4. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

I stopped collecting them due to various reasons, but the one that really sticks out is that I just don't like what the line is. The only aspect I still like is the complexity of the figures.

5. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

I still love them, and they still make up the bulk of my collection. But you're right that they're not the end-all and be-all of Transformers. The Classics are super cool for different reasons than the Alts. But the Alt/BT line is still the most adult, collector-oriented line, and that's why I love them. I personally feel the [great] amount of money I've poured into them was worth it. They're not perfect, but few things are. And they make fantastic display pieces.

6. bithomas

bithomas Seeker of Seekers

I agree with you that many Alternators have been hard to find, especially lately. However, I definitely feel that Alternators are worth the effort.

7. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

It is a challenge to collect them considering that some stores don't even really sell them, or at least in my area, but they are definitely worth getting. I've only got 3 but they're 3 that I still have displayed, which isn't much these days.

8. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Well worth it! Love this line. I agree some of the distribution issues have been disappointing, but there is always a way to pick up the stay figures here and there.

9. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    You STILL can't find Meister? :inquisiti 

MegaPrime33: :lol :

Now we just need a third one to pick it up to turn it into a meme. :lol :

10. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Alternators are what have kept me interested in TFs since they came out in 2003. Without them, I would have left in energon which was just plain horrible. I think I have maybe 5 energon figures compared to every Alt and every BT/BTA.

11. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

Without Alt's I would be buying a fraction of the number of bots that I do. I also think the distribution complaints are WAY overblown. I live in Detroit, which is hardly a toy Mecca, and I have found them all at retail. It hasn't always been easy, and has at times been downright frustrating, but persistence has always paid off.

Classics are nice, but lack the refinement and complexity of the Alts.

12. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i would actually love to see alts rescaled, shrunk down to a deluxe size, made easier to TForm and then put into classics...that would be great...but on topic, i love alts have them all, only payed 30 for nemesis prime and 30 for swerve too...and everything else has been retail or a gift (purchased at retail)

13. carnage717

carnage717 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I love the Alt. Line and have every single one realeased to date. With the excpetion of Binaltech Red Alert, Kiss Play Convoy and Nemesis Prime I have never paid more the $15 for any of my figures and most of them were bought for $10 or less, this includes both of the my Swerves and my Decepticharge. The best way I have found to finish out a collection to keep a close eye on ebay. Almost all of mine were bought in lots of 4 or 5 usually with a low Buy it Now price, sure they deals are few and far between but they are still out there. If I end up getting a double for some reason, Ill either just resell it on ebay individually or turn it into a custom of a figure I would like to have but will never get produced.

Almost all of these can be found on ebay for less retail, if you catch a good deal. I recently just bought another Optimus Prime for $15 shipped so the deals are out there you just have to find them.

Brad

14. Crobot91

Crobot91 Daddy has lots of TFs...

News Credits:
    I think the biggest problem with alternators/binaltech/masterpiece is the simple fact that there were traditionally no good Decepticons to counter the great abundance of Autobot releases. That may change soon if the MP-05 rumour of Megatron proves to be correct; also if they re-paint MP-03 Starscream into the remaining seekers I think this TF line will have a healthy future.

15. Shockwing

Shockwing Perfectly cromulent. TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Despite all the recolors, I love the Bin/Alts. I too own every single release. I dig that it takes me five minutes to transform some of them **cough cough Wheeljack**. I love the posibility and the fact that they're actual existing cars rather than generic vehicles. Being unimpressed with Armada/Energon/Cybertron lines, the Alts have single-handedly kept me excited about Transformers over the past couple years. Even if you collect a few bots, they're well worth it.

16. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

Alternators are indeed worth it. They're the best thing that has come out of transformers besides maybe masterpeice.

17. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey, I had my share of fun with them. I had everything up until Wheeljack. Then they became ahrd to find...and I lost interest.

18. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy ShickaBAM!

Alternators to me are well worth it. It was the only line I collected attending school the pass two year and now that I have graduate it was the first line i've tried to complete before I get onto others that I've fell behind on. As of now i'm currently only missing Swerve, Decepticharge and that only because I wasn't able to fine them anywhere. I personally love transforming my transformers without instructions and alternators are the only one that really get me thinking at times. So just to sit down and transform a new Alt it worth it to me.

19. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Like Others, without Alternators I would not have the interest in Transformers that I do now. In fact, I now regret passing on Ravage, and Swerve when I saw them at retail. I've never seen a Decpticharge, and just ordered a Camshaft so hopefully I'll get him soon. I'm disappointed in Ravage as an animal, but I'll still get him since he's a new mold.

20. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I absolutely love the Alternators, they're my favorite TF line that has been produced thus far. Even the throw-away repaints like Rollbar are great in my mind. In the argument of Alternators vs Classics, it comes down to whether you like variety or detail. I prefer detail. To me, the Alternators perfectly capture the look of the 84/85 cars, while drastically improving the size and complexity. The Classics, on the other hand, dont really look G1 to me. They look like Cybertron figures who did some great research in G1. The quality of the plastic, the colors selected, just makes them look "kiddier" than the Alternators in my opinion. Great toys to be sure, but not exactly what I look for in a toy.

The Alternators are not without their own problems, but I made a conscious decision to support this line from day one. Generally, I dont hold loyalty to any particular line, I just buy the figures I like. But with Alternators, from the minute I saw Smokescreen, I told myself I would buy them all. I wanted to show Hasbro how much I loved these. I wanted them to keep getting sales so that they would keep making (and improving) them. Now, up until recently, despite the poor distribution, I have in fact been able to find all of them in stores. Swerve, red box Tracks? Not a problem.

However, I wasnt able to find Camshaft, and that sort of bothered me. It was the first time that I had to really accept the poor distribution for what it was, and thus was the first negative point in the Alternators history for me. Well, ok, the Nemesis Prime fiasco was also a negative point (PLEASE DONT MAKE ALTERNATORS AS CONVENTION EXCLUSIVES AGAIN HASBRO!) but I sucked it up and ebayed it because I wanted it badly enough. I, like many others, pre-ordered the Ravage/Rumble wave because I dont want to risk missing them.

Now, I made the decision to be a completionist. I've seen many other completionists get very huffy and decry the line. "Why does a corvette have a cat head?!" "I cant find Swerve this line is going downhill!" "Skids sucks and there's too many repaints, get these shelf-warmers out of here!" "Nemesis Prime's situation is terrible and I cant find Mirage; I'm just gonna stop buying them altogether because I cant complete the set, when I could just stop worrying about the complete set and buy the figures I actually like!" I have remained optimistic through all those times, because I just like the figures that much. I like getting new Alternators, no matter who the characters are. Even if I cant find them in stores, I like them to the point that I will buy them anyway. I want to have a complete set not just for the sake of it being complete, but because I really want to own all of them individually.

That's my take on the matter. If the pessimists cant live through the rough patches, then that's their problem. I'll keep taking what I can get, because I love this line.