Minor/Repaint: Alternators Wildrider (G1ers, beware!)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Superquad7, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    06-09-08 UPDATE: I have finally shot/edited a proper gallery of my custom Alternators Wildrider! While this custom is nearly two years old (which is hard to believe!), I never shot/edited a proper gallery of him . . . until now! You'll find a link to the full gallery in this post.

Also, quite a few people have asked me about the door mod on the Mustang in robot mode. I've included a detail photo of the modification. It's pretty easy, as all you have to do is make a small piece to raise the screw so the door attachment can raise up and rotate around. I use always use two (2) small washers to place under the screws, but I'd imagine there are other objects one can use.

I hope you guys like him!

I thought I'd give a little insight to my design process. Sometimes I get an idea of a character and go straight for it (my Soundblaster would be a pretty good example). This time the process was a bit different. Among other things I want to see (and I'll eventually make), I wanted a red Mustang. Variety is the spice of life too, and I thought I'd shake things up a bit. I set out designing a red Mustang, and this time, the bot mode/persona came later.

I also love the Stunticons. As a kid, I'd say they were my favorite gestalt. My G1 Devestator broke as a kid (the connector on Hook mainly), so when the Stunticons came along, I was thrilled. Motormaster and Wildrider were my two favorites. Motormaster I think will come a bit later, but I've been deterimined to make a Wildrider.

A few Radicons have asked me about Stunticons and my customs. I really got into Dead End as he is, and Decepticharge works well for a stand-in for Drag Strip. I used the Metals Transform white Viper for Breakdown, so this leaves Wildrider and Motormaster. I still want to make a Motormaster down the road (/bad pun), but for now I have other things on the table.

When started thinking about my Mustang idea again, I got to thinking about the name "Wildrider" and a personality he would have (similar to the G1 toon and tech spec profile) and wondered if he'd fit a red Mustang. The idea finally started to grow on me and I found myself modding a head to fit the Mustang mold. I made Wildrider's head out of a Side Swipe with some mods.

I finished the custom and didn't think he looked sinister enough. I was chatting with some of you guys here and through out the idea of black rims. Everyone gave me the thumbs up, and with the addition of the stripe details and the black/red rims, I was finally really pleased with him.

I also liked the dramatic shift I had from making a custom that really adhered to the G1 color scheme (Soundblaster) to a custom that deviated from it quite a bit (really, I feel the colors are sort of just inverted).

So, I present to you, Alternators Wildrider:

alt mode:

[ATT]8244[/ATT]

[ATT]8245[/ATT]

attack mode:

[ATT]8246[/ATT]

[ATT]8247[/ATT]

bot mode:

[ATT]8248[/ATT]

[ATT]8254[/ATT]

[ATT]8249[/ATT]

[ATT]8250[/ATT]

close-up of the head:

[ATT]8251[/ATT]

detail of the arm mod:

[ATT]8253[/ATT]

Gallery is here: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/superquad7/Wildrider/

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    That's hot, dude. The red-rimmed black hubs look great. How is the rocket launcher attached? Is it part of his spoiler?

3. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Excellent work as always! :rock  I want one! :cry 

4. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Thanks for the props man! I was skeptical about the rims, but after I painted 'em, I was really happy with them! It really popped him off as being a whole lot more sinster.

The launcher is actually a repro launcher from the Bt Smokescreen GT mold, but with a modified base to fit the mustang mold. The launcher has a small clip that allows it to attach to the spoiler [of the Bt SS]. Despite making a deliberate effort to veer away from G1 a bit (pun intended), I included the launcher as a nod to the cannon attachments the G1 cars all had. :) 

5. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

Man, that's a slick use of the mustang mold! If Hasbro does another Mustang remold, I hope it looks like that!

Did you do anything to the sword? It looks different.

6. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Thanks man, your feedback is much appreciated!

As for the sword, it is altered, yes. I painted the blade with translucent red after removing the orange from Grimlock's sword. I painted the hilt black with some silver details as well.

7. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Very good work as always man, he looks like a Wildrider to me, fits very well.

I never thought the Mustang looked as good in red though as I always thought the silver and black looked the best on it (still waiting for a black paint of him) but I have to admit that's excellent, and the side/shoulder missile launcher is a great touch.

Keep em coming man :thumb 

8. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

I really like what you did with the head, it's probably my favourite part of the whole custom. Great stuff. I think the hardest part when it comes to customizing Alts is trying to decide who to bash into who. There are so many possible combinations that my head spins just thinking about it.

9. Orion P

Orion P Cybertronian P.I.M.P.

looks great!

10. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Thats awesome! It's like he and Dead End switched colors, makes sense to me!:) 

11. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

AWESOME !

I want there to be an official version.

12. Rattrap587

Rattrap587 Maximal Ground Operations

Ebay:
    Very good work!

13. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    Well Reverend Greenwood,
    Long time no see. What's new?

I love the red, it works quite well. Just out of curiosity though.... I know you're the one who got the majority of my ALT's, and I was just wondering.... which of my alts became which customs?

14. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Haha, someone noticed! I thought it was a cool idea too! Also, Wildrider himself is sort of inverted from his G1 color scheme (G1 Wildrider = gray[gray is a dark shade of black]/red; my custom Alternators Wildrider = red/black). :cool: 

MP, glad you checked out my work! In terms of "what's new," keep checking the customs thread here at TFW2005 this summer! I'm kickin' 'em out, man! While I'm on summer vaction from seminary, I'll be making customs and and hopefully illustrating some TFs too!

Glad you like Wildrider! He was originally a Wheeljack and I swapped rims with Grimlock (along with the red hip plate, seats, and other accessories). In terms of which of the Alts I got from you are now transformed (pun intended), that's hard to say. I know that at least two of my Seekers are from you. Also, I have to have customs bases for a rainy day too! ;) 

15. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I wholeheartedly agree with you. I'd love to see a red or black Mustang GT in the Alternators line with a new, or re-tooled, head. That, as usual for your work, looks awesome.

Instead of finishing some of the projects I had planned, I might just send them to you for your "touch."

16. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Well, I have alot of plans for the Mustang mold. For those of you who don't know, I'm quite the Ford fan. That being said, I just really love Mustangs in general. I've had a Slicer customs planned since Oct. 05 (still waiting on the translucent heads I ordered from Ken from Transrepro; get well Ken and I hope to get those soon!). I also have a police Interceptor custom (aptly named "Interceptor") planned to match Hot Pursuit and Stakeout (click my sig to see), as I also want to make a solid black Mustang as well. From there I have a few more ideas that are still floating around.

Thanks for the kind words, Tundra. I really appreciate feedback! :)  As for sending me your customs, we'd have to talk, lol! ;) 

17. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    How do you do it? Another awesome kitbash.

18. Superquad7

News Credits:
    It's magic! Mwhahahah!

What's really funny is when I show poeple my work and they ask me about my process for sprays. Even funnier than that is when I tell them I only use paintbrushes and sandpaper (+ elbow grease, :p  )

Thanks for posting! I really appreciate the feedback! I'm glad you enjoy my work! :D 

19. Superquad7

News Credits:
    This is another zombie thread alert! :lol 

I've updated the first post with uploaded photos from Alternators Wildrider's new photo gallery (w00t!) and some information regarding the door transform mod.

Enjoy! :thumb 

20. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's a really cool custom but the color is a bit washed out (too heavy reds and blacks) so we can't appreciate the details. From what I can see, it looks really cool.

I wish I dared to transform my Razorclaw and Rampage to show you a black and orange Mustang...