Alternators - What would you have done differently?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by rattrap007, Apr 25, 2007.

1. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What would you, if you could, change or have changed about the alternators? Would you pick different vehicles for different characters?

I'd do the following myself:

1. Change Optimus Prime mold to one for Blaster and Soundwave. This makes the mold perfect for casseticon minion buddies... by doing the following:

Make the cassette bots become small ORVs like dirt bikes, 3/4 wheelers and crotch rockets. Sell 4-5 in a set. Make it so they fit in the tailgate. As much as I love Ravage V.2 and Rumble, they would be much better suited as minions. Here are a few designs I thought up:

Laserbeak/Buzzsaw - Make him/them a dirt bike. Kickstand becomes the feet, wheels act as hover wings (think the camera things in MGS2), and the front mud flap becomes the head with the handle bars folding in on the body. Can have "saddle bags" that become the back cannons.

Ratbat - A purple dirtbike. Transformation a little bit like Laserbeak's, but the wings fold out from the tires to a more bat like appearance. Head comes out the engine or gas tank. Kickstand (or handle bars) become the feet with the other becoming the bat ears. Again Saddlebags can become weapons.

Ravage - My fav of my designs, he is a 4 wheeler. Head comes out from the front underside of the bike, tail from the back end. Wheels unfold to become feet. He of course would be black with purple trim. Can be remolded into Steeljaw and Ramhorn

Rumble/Frenzy - 4 wheelers... well think a better version on Energon Sureshock. Can be remolded into Rewind/Eject.

2. A new truck mold with a Camper attachment for Trailbreaker. Remold into Hoist

3. A Ford cruiser painted as a fire chief car for Inferno or Red Alert.

4. A SWAT Tank (ala Cyb Hot Shot) for Megatron (higher price point, or slightly scaled down)

2. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    lamborghinis. perhaps military vehicles i.e. hummer.

3. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Here are some of my ideas for the Alternator line:

Kup-
    [​IMG]

Soundwave-
    [​IMG]

Can't remember who this one should be, but it should be in there-
    [​IMG]

4. vector

vector City Commander

Ebay:
    This is a broad question.....I would not have made Ricochet a Subaru. And I would not have made his flames look like paint slpotches. I would have made Trailbreaker intead of Rollbar. I would have improved distibution. I would have tried to get licenses for more vehicle types.

5. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I would have included a 1:32 scale of all the minibots, a leader class, and MP seekers to expand it into a full line complete with an American cartoon.

6. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    1. Hot Rod.

2. No third repaints except for Sunstreaker.

3. Bumblebee, even if he's not a Volkswagen.

4. No Decepticharge.

7. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Repeating what I said in a related thread:

- More Decepticons: Hasbro not releasing Megatron, Soundwave, or Starscream--among the topmost iconic characters in TF history--in the Alts line just blows my mind. What a foolish waste of opportunity on Hasbro's part. We would've gladly paid retail price for Alts of these characters.
    - Fewer repaints/remolds, more originals with cooler licensed vehicles. I also would love to see a Lambo, and please-please-please some vintage vehicles and muscle cars like the GTO, Trans Am, '57 Chevy, Ferrari, Prowler, etc.
    - More creativity and innovation: don't limit to sports cars. Branch out into motorcycles and other types of recreational vehicles.
    - Leader and Supreme Class sized Alts
    - Megatron as a Hummer or tank: either would make me happy, and both would make me even happier.
    - US release of a trailer for 20th Anniv Prime: the original Alternator.
    - Punch/Counterpuch as a 007 vehicle, specifically the Aston Martin.
    - Ironhide and Ratchet as Alts. It's the one time I actually wouldn't mind a repaint/remold. I really want to finally have decent toys of these characters, compared to their sucky G1 versions. Soccer mom vans as TFs = not cool. And their robot modes = even worse.
    - The entire Stunticon team in the Alts scale as an actual combiner. It would be the biggest and most awesomest gestalt ever.

8. Doctor Ingenious

Doctor Ingenious Doctorate in Ingeniology

Hummer Megatron...and I'd fit in soundwave somehow

9. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

10. Rabbit

Rabbit Weary

I'm repeating my thoughts from a different thread:

11. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My ideas for the line:

- No third repaints, at all.
    - Continuing from that, each mold is released once as an Autobot, once as a Decepticon.
    - Any character who wasn't a car/truck/motorcycle/civilian vehicle in G1 not eligible to be made into an Alternator (characters like Springer or Sandstorm who had one car alt mode would be eligible, but far down on the list). I liked a number of the Alternator 'updates', but I'm going with this mainly to reduce teh internets drama.
    - I'd like to go with "improve distribution", but that isn't something Hasbro has much control over.
    - I'd reduce the number of waves to three per year, two figures in each wave and a rule that a mold can't be in two consecutive waves (ie - Autobot version of mold A in wave 1, Decepticon version of mold A would be in wave 3).
    - Weapons/accessory packs. Extra stuff for Alternators figures to use; some of it transformable (eg - Classics Bumblebee's jetpack), others just separate weapons and gear.
    - New characters introduced, exclusive to the Alternators line. Surely there were more TFs fighting "the great war" than the 40 - 50 characters in the G1 canon. Bring in some new faces.

While I wouldn't have minded seeing those characters, I doubt they would have been "gladly" received by the fandom. In general (not against you personally), it would have been nothing but the same amount of griping we saw for Optimus Prime and Shockwave (ie - "Megatron/Starscream/Soundwave isn't a gun/jet/tapedeck...raping my childhood!1!!"). Any time a character who wasn't a car was made a car in Alternators, there was a huge wailing and gnashing of teeth, so I can see why Hasbro wouldn't have bothered.

12. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

I'm working on the fact that I don't know the scale of the movie toys, but I think the movie characters should have Alternators iterations. They've got the proper licenses already, and in the US Alternators doesn't have any official storyline, so why not make some higher difficulty transformation tie-ins?

I also still think that a Bumblebee Mini Cooper S would be a fair trade-off for lacking a Volkswagen. Makes more sense than an F-Body.

13. Psychomud

Psychomud Well-Known Member

How bout some 'hoopty' rides?

Junky used cars = Break-down? Dead end?

Heck (speaking of which) - Altinators GESTAULT!

ALSO - some 'Ghetto' rides - think 'Pimp My Ride' TV show. Kinda like the new downshift (I think?) mold!

Ghetto rides could come with working ground effects, spinner hubcaps (that turn into weapons?), hydrolics, wild paint jobs....etc.

And monster trucks.

And Tuk-Tuks (asian taxi's that look like golf carts).

And Golf Carts.

14. Rabbit

Rabbit Weary

More brand new, original characters too. Classic car alt modes would be nice too.

15. Skunky

Skunky Well-Known Member

Oh! I also think Alternators Prime needs a trailer. What better fit for a Dodge pickup than an Airstream trailer!? Could open up to reveal a blue ATV Roller. Would be incredibly silly yet still cool.

16. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

For starters, Sunstreaker and Dead End would have had the proper Competition Coupe markings. Slapping RT 10 logos on those two was just stupid. Sunstreaker would have been released first, with his molded in Autobot logo. I also wouldn't have minded seeing a second remold as the production version coupe. That one could have had the RT 10 markings.

I'd have put small faction insignias somewhere on all the vehicle modes. (liscense plates don't count.

The Prime mold would have been a dually, with a more Armada Prime inspired transformation. No ugly shoulder towers. (Would have preffered him as a Ford, but no big deal.) The Decepticon repaint would have recieved a different head, and been Motor Master.

Windcharger would have had a proper gun. (not mention a head that wasn't so obviously Overdrive's)

No Scions. Maybe the TC, but not the econobox we got.

17. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Not have done Rollbar.

Would have also done a few more bigger style trucks for an Ironhide and or an SUV for XBrawn. A Megatron Alt would have been sweet too though what you would do him as I do not know.

18. 1UpCheatachu

1UpCheatachu Lemony Fresh TFW2005 Supporter

I would have done a redeco of 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime with a new head as Soundwave. He would have come with the trailer, and thus Ravage and Rumble could go inside. The trailers could have even been painted like Soundwaves cassette door.

19. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'm with the should have had a Megatron/Soundwave/Starscream/Bumblebee crowd. Otherwise very few complaints.

20. Zombie F Body

Zombie F Body Has left the building...

Probably the decals are the biggest for me. Reprolables.com has such great stuff that they should have come stock on the figures. I also second the vintage vehicle notion. I'd like to have seen some kind of Alternators Classics subline, as well. Windcharger in his original Trans Am form for example. It just seemed to me that many of the vehicle choices didn't really jive well. I'd have rather seen a more expensive re-release of MP Prime than the Dodge Ram version. A smaller scale MP03 released in the line would have made it easier (and cheaper) to get all the Seekers out there, also