Alternators Vs Classics

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Cast, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Just wondering here as it was hinted if classic’s sell well Hasbro would consider keeping them on as a sub line, I am not saying this will happen but if it came down to it do you think alt’s should be revived as a sub line or switch to classics?

Just going to try weight up the pros and cons of each line from Hasbro and fan’s point of view here:

Alt’s Pros

Work’s well for the adult market in both TF and model car’s, bring the brand more to the older or former fans.

Alt’s Cons

More expensive complex moulds, more limit character pool to draw from with out radical changes to characters look, cost of licensing from car companies and limitations put on them by said companies.

Classic’s Pros

Return of many character in forms close to their originals, will interest both new and old fans, suffers from fewer complaints about repaints, no out side costs for moulds, vast pre existing character pool to draw from.

Classic’s Cons

Lack of originality limited by the need to recover things that have gone before.

Okay I seem to be more for classics than alts but I want to here other peoples idea’s on this or just which they would rather keep going if they had to pick one.

2. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    With the probable crush of products in the near future, my druthers would be for the Classics to continue. Don't get me wrong, I love BT/ALTS, but they are more expensive and take up much more space.

3. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would prefer Classics. Alts have had a good run - I still really like them but I prefer the cheapness and variety that Classics allows. Ideally though both would continue so I can pick and choose from the two lines.

4. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i concur, id rather have classics then alts...classics are just sweet....

5. ALLAN

ALLAN ramp rat

Ebay:
    Get both??:drunk 

6. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

I also prefer classics over alternators.

7. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd say Classics, mostly due to cost and availability. New Alternators can be so difficult to track down, and a lot of the stores in my area either don't carry them or only give them limited shelf space (i.e. one case on the shelf at a time). But I would be happy if either or both lines were to continue past the movie hype.

8. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

From what we've got so far I'de rather have classics.

9. Smokescreen1980

Smokescreen1980 Well-Known Member

I'd actually favour Alts, I'd love it if they kept them going. I just love the realism of them, and the detail - they're the closest to the original "robots in disguise" ethos that we've had. I love looking at cars in the street and thinking, "that's a Bluestreak" or whatever. I honestly think they're the pinnacle of the Transformers lines so far. (Well, perhaps not Rollbar. But you know what I mean). Classics aren't quite there for me, although I do like them.

But, hey, why not hope for both?

10. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

same here

11. butz

butz slippery when wet

Classics please. Fuck Alternators.

12. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

Classics hands down, just give me some Ultra and Basic assortment Classics too please. At 20 some Alts I am kind of getting stale on them. Though I am looking forward to Ravage 2.0 and Rumble.

13. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    ooh, ultra and basics would be sweet...

14. Lupis Convoy

Lupis Convoy Paw Prince Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmm... would love both honestly. I like the uber-realism and the size of the Alts... the classic G1 updated feel.. and the fact that there's a lot people have done with them that Hasbro so far hasn't. (IE: Yellow Meister with Ravage head made into Cheetor... Blue Prowl to Nightbeat.. etc. etc. etc.) My major problem is that the stores I go to are overstocked on the old Alts of wave 1&2 from the fishbowl series, and not many stores are carrying them... which really bothers me. I'm still looking for Camshaft and two others. I don't think I'll ever see them now.

Now I'm really glad to see Classics.. I Just wish there would be more of them. I would really kill for a Sunstorm figure.. and they are cheap enough I've actually debated on getting multiples of Screamer and Mirage... They are g1 reinvisioned without all the annoying gimmicks of the past lines. A lot of them are near perfect, and are a fanboy's wet dream. The variety seems okay so far, but I would still love to see more oscure not touched on figs like the Cosmos Figure we saw... But I'm already seeing Walmarts not putting out stock, and jsut not bothering.. actually shrinking their space on the walls for TFs in General.

Simply put.. both.

15. CrackerBoy

CrackerBoy Señor Member TFW2005 Supporter

I like both Alts and Classics, they both have there place. I'm tired of the repaints with the Alts and i'm really liking the new molds for the classics. If i had to pick i'd pick classics because i'm a G1 fan and to me they are more G1ish. Don't get me wrong i do like other lines, but my heart/wallet belongs to G1.

16. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Guys just to make clear I am not saying we can't have both or it's one or the other just if you had to pick one line which would it be and why.

17. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I was going to write a long post here but I got tired of trying to explain the way I feel. Suffice it to say, I'm not nearly as impressed with Classics as everyone else, but the Alternators have been my favorite line hands down for the last 3 years, and I cant see that ever changing. I would love for Hasbro to continue making more of them (though I do realize they have to stop sometime. I certainly dont have enough shelf space for them to continue forever!). Even with the distribution problems and the higher cost, I'll gladly take an Alternator over any other figure.

18. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like both Classics and Alternators but prefer the realistic Alt. modes of Alternators. The cheap-ness of the Classic Deluxes is also a turn off to me.

19. Slappytron

Slappytron Peace through Slapping

Tough question! These are the only 2 lines I collect, and I would hat e to see either of them disappear.

But I'll throw my hat in with Classics. The main reasons are size, cost, and they are easier to play with. I love my Alts, they are sweet display pieces, but not always the most fun to take down and transform...

20. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

Meh, I pretty much hate both.