Alternators VS Alternity's?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

What's the difference between these two toy-lines? I just got my very first Alternator today and was very impressed with it. I noticed the line is dead, but seems to have continued with Alternity? They look similar, but from what I've seen pictures of, the robots have a different style to them. Alternators look more muscular and robotic like, and from what I've seen in photos, Alternity's look more organic?
    However, the cars featured in Alternity are pretty cool looking. Example, the new Nissan 350Z, and the Nissan GTR. Is this line-up worth looking into?
    How do they compare side by side?

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Like deluxes vs. voyagers, essentially.

3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    No expert here, but I do know the Alternators are Voyager-Class size (or close) the Alternities are much smaller, being around Deluxe-class size.

Edit: Derp, beat to it.

4. bouncing boy77

bouncing boy77 Syntax Error

co sign!

big difference is basically size, and alternity's have a little die-cast in them (i think) whereas alternators are purely plastic. at the same time, the japanese counterpart of the alternators, the binaltechs (with the exception of bt-rijie), have plenty of die-cast in them.

5. Tigertrack

Thank's, I'm not familiar with the deluxes, voyagers, and all that. I'm only familiar with G1's, Alternators, and Masterpieces.

6. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Deluxes = modern $10 toys
    Voyagers = modern $20 toys

In other words, Alternators are bigger.

In my opinion, Alternators also look more "G1y" while Alternity looks more experimental (which isnt to say it doesnt look G1, but its bot modes looks less like 1985 style designs than Alternators do)

7. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    alternators ftw.
    i like the starscream alt mode, but they are too damn pricey for deluxes and Alternators are beefed up, modernized G1 in my book. (totally apart from the Classics line)

8. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Binaltech was 1:24 scale. Alternity is roughly 1:32 or so.

9. primenemesis

primenemesis Banned

Ebay:
    alternators are far more superior imo

10. perithimus

perithimus Well-Known Member

They are basically the same except Alternity is smaller. I do have to say that the Alternity toys have a bit better engineering though.

11. catz

catz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    alternity have much better robot form and much better engineering overall (but smaller in size)

12. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Basically, Alternity figures are smaller [around 6 inches tall in robot mode], but are more articulated and feature die-cast metal construction in some parts.

Moreover, all of them incorporate an automorph feature somewhere [some parts move\transform automatically when you slide\pop in\interact with another part].

Finally, they take some design liberties which make them end up as very high-tech looking, they're generally much more detailed than previous lines.

13. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I think alot of the Alternators' robots mode are unappealing. Way too squashed and boxy (I know boxy is part of the G1 appeal, but that's not the sort of boxy I mean). I think the problem with most of them is they weren't allowed to split up certain parts of the car mode (car manufacturers wanting to keep certain parts intact for looks or something), which really hinders transformation possibilities.

Therefore, SO FAR, I like Alternity better..although I do like the size of Alternators better, and there *are* some very sweet Alternators.

14. perithimus

perithimus Well-Known Member

I love Alternators Rodimus. That in my opinion is probably the best one.

15. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Rodimus is definitely one of the cooler ones, along with Mirage. And the jaguar Ravage (not the one with the bot mode).

16. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Until Alternity can fill out the ranks of the Autobots the same as BT/Alts did it'll just seem like a novelty line.

Don't get me wrong, Bumblebee is perfect... He just needs similar scaled Jazz, Wheeljack, Prowl, Hound, Mirage, Sideswipe etc to stand with him.

It seems that the upcoming seekers have a difference asthetic and I'm hoping that we get back to a G1 Autobot next. Give me a 1/32 scaled Smokescreen in those fantastic BT/Subaru colours please and that'll give us a Prowl and Bluestreak straight off the bat!

17. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I also think the Optimus-as-car thing was a mistake. At 1/32 they could have produced an AMAZING G1 inspired Optimus Prime truck. 1/24 was always a bit big for them to produce anything other than cars but at 1/32 anything could have been fair game. Trucks/tanks/whatever (OK, maybe not an F-15, though I can dream). Yes, a 1/32 Optumus Prime would be expensive but ooooooh, so worth it. As is I'll need to settle for iGears almost-in-scale Prime.

18. Tigertrack

Wow, such a mix of feelings here between the two.
    I'll stick with the Alternators for now. If/when I complete the series, I'll continue with the ternies. Ternies? Can I say that?
    Can somebody post a side by side picture of the two please? Thank you!

19. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

IMO Alternators/BT's are superior to Alternity. I think the larger scale makes intricate transformations easier, and provides much better shelf presence. I appreciate that the cars are treated almost as if they were models.

I have the OP and Megs Altenity and they seem fickle and the diminutive size makes them get lost on a shelf rather easily.

20. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]