Alternators unite

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by optitron_g1, May 4, 2011.

1. optitron_g1

optitron_g1 Well-Known Member

trying to find out who has all 27 alternators and share their stories. I just want to see how many People have them if interested share your storiy. I have them all and want people to contribute to this forum. from all over the world.
    I started a thread on cybertron.ca to view stories here is the link.ALTERNATORS UNITE - Cybertron.CA - Canadian Transformers News and Discussion

2. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I still lack the very first one (Smokescreen) and the very last one (Rodimus).

I don't know that there's any "story" to be told for me personally except that Alts got me interested in collecting again for the first time since Beast Wars. I saw Silverstreak at a KB Toys Outlet store for only $8. I hadn't kept up with any TF news or toy releases in at least 5 years or so and when I saw Silverstreak, I thought wow, Transformers toys have gotten really advanced! I was sold immediately and began the process of tracking down the ones I'd already missed. Got me back active on this site again as well.

3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I've got them all. No real story behind them though.

4. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    Smokescreen was my first ever Alternators...then I didn't get anymore until a few months ago. Picked up my second, Tracks, and then just two weeks ago Wheeljack.

I don't like all of them. I never did. I'm still looking for a Ravage, that turns into a Jaguar XK, and I'm gonna get Hound soon also. I love Alternators, but more so them being licensed, accurate cars than Transformers toys!

5. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

from http://www.cybertron.ca/boards/showthread.php?t=31161

added here:

i've spent TONS of money on these and did not care how much they were. i was this montreal scalpers best friend. back in 2007. anyway, here's my story.

back in 2004 or 2005, back then i was a gamer, went to street fighter tournaments in canada and got into initial d as well. i went to toys r us to purchase a game but couldn't find anything interesting so i decided to stop by the transformers toy aisle. lo and behold, sunstreaker, silverstreak and i think hound. i found all three very cool and wanted to purchase every single one of em' but thought to myself that 3X45$ tax included was too much for a kids toy. i had to decide which one to take. i took the silver subaru wrx to display as Bunta's car. my first toy purchase for myself as an adult

fast foward 2007, after the movie came out my co-worker told me that there were 15$ movie toys r us. so we went. i splurged that day. bought classics prime classics jetfire, alternators prime and a voyager ironhide. i looked at my silverstreak which was mangled by co-workers and got the idea of painting it. i looked up custom TFs and voila, kitbashing started. classics and alternators got me hooked. mainly alternators since they are amazing toys!

i ran after alts and bts like crazy. i should have bought ALL of them back then. spent more than retail. way more.

now they just sit there in my aquarium. no love at all. so many unfinished customs as well. too bad.

here's my first TF now: he's no longer silverstreak. i think in total i bought 3 more silverstreak or something. this one's version 2 minus the mangled body. used ricochet's. :D 

[​IMG]

i got into collecting alternators, TFs and kitbashing all in one shot. its also my first post and thread here on tfw2005. lol. i blame alternators for this addiction.

6. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    @seali_me: Wow, nice work on that Alt Soundwave custom! I love it! The Alt toyline was always too Autobot-focused and it baffled me that they neglected such iconic TF characters as Megatron, Starscream and Soundwave. Since Hasbro was really into redecos for the Alt line, I thought sure we'd get a redeco of Shockblast as Soundwave. No such luck.

We did manage to get Megs and Starscream for Takara's Alternity line, but without being that full scale Alt size they're a little disappointing.

I should add that my love for Alternators sucked me into collecting my first imports because Binaltech and Alternity were spinoffs. I have about half of the Alternity line (which I actually went all the way to Japan for, in a manner of speaking) and I'm up to 3 Binaltechs now since I snagged Yellow Tracks for $10 at a toy show recently.

7. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    This thread is going to make me spend some monies lol.

My favorite Alternator has to be Shockwave. He was just perfect. Mirage was great too but I never found one at retail so I never bought one :( 

8. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

thanks voiceroy. :) 

i'm already thinking of getting binaltech swindle. sigh. also maybe finishing some of my unfinished customs. maybe repaint the ones i have for sale instead. lol

back to thread topic:

alternators had me at 1/24 scale and detailed. sigh. my wife can't stand alternators since its plastic. she like the higher class kind, binaltech. lol

i searched for this thread for the TS.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...161579-post-your-alternators-collections.html

9. optitron_g1

optitron_g1 Well-Known Member

that's awesome soundwave should have been an alternator. nuff said awesome work!

10. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Got all the ALTs and the BTs.

Definitely one of my most cherished of the collection.

The most sentimental would be the custom Razerwire.

Would've loved to see a Soundwave from the Scion xB mold but I guess the blue is already taken by Skids.

With the hood as wide as it is on his chest, it'd be pretty easy to imagine it as a cassette door.

Hell, if I had an extra CYB Soundwave head I might've slapped it on an extra xB if I had one.

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
  12. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    just the 27 alts, and one ko binaltech,

13. Loosecannon

Loosecannon Cos I know I'm right...

All BT's apart from the last 4 released.

Every Alt with a different colour scheme to BT's.

Probably a touch over 30...

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
  15. Rod

Rod No Silly Robot User Name

Ive got them all and over to 30 customs (and about a dozen well into production)

16. Carl

Carl Length and/or Girth

I have all the Alternators, plus two BT's.

17. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    I found the alternators to be very hit and miss. I had about 5 at one point. Swindle and Dead end, pretty ok. Wheeljack, utterly godawful. Shockwave and Smokescreen, utterly beautiful and amazing, the last of my alternators, and I doubt i'll ever part with them!

18. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    I've got the complete line of Alts, all the BTs/KPs that didn't get a release in the Alt line, and most of the KOs so far.

19. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

I have all the alternators and all the BT's. I also have all three BTA's and 2 of the Kiss playser. I didn't get Convy because we got an Alternator Prime. I did, however, get the BT Convoy since it has the Die-cast & the Kiss line lacked the Die-cast.

20. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

It's really surprising how many Alternators I ended up with.

When the line first started, I really thought Hasbro made a decent compromise in knocking out the die-cast to offer a lower price point. Don't get me wrong, I love die-cast, but this was a pretty acceptable trade-off for me. As time wore on and the difficulties kept piling on, I decided to give Binaltech another look when BBTS had some on sale for $40 and was offering discounts on preorders.

I was spending way too much time and money chasing a $20 toy that was being scalped online for $40 if they were even available...why the hell should I settle for plastic now too? After that first BBTS order arrived, I became a loyal pre-orderer. At one point, I posted calculations at a forum or two proving how even the $55 retail price was a steal compared to what Alternators were costing, hoping maybe to save Binaltech from what I knew was coming for Alternators.

From about Grimlock or Swindle on (and then only because I'd ordered a case from a comic shop to get them), the domestic line was an afterthought at best. If I found one while looking for Commemorative Series or Classics, I would usually pick it up, but by and large I stopped stressing over it.

Out of Alternators, the only ones I missed at retail were Skids, Camshaft, Prime, and Nemesis. I gave the only Mirage I ever saw to my brother, which turned out to be stupid because a BT version never materialized. Picked up Prime, oddly enough, during a BBTS clearance years later. After gobbling them all up from HTS, dealers were practically giving away Nemesises at Botcon 2007. Haven't cared enough to open that one though.

By the time Frenzy and Ravage 2 hit, nobody in the area seemed to care, so I sent a few to some friends on a newsgroup. Ravage 2 is awful but I kept one for completeness sake. I had a guy on the CybCon newsgroup turn one of the Frenzys into a Rumble. Skids was the only one I skipped intentionally because he was hideous.

Out of Binaltech, the only mass release I missed out on was Smokescreen due to being late to the game. I got doubles of pretty much all of them, except Ravage (meh) and Zoom Zoom (expensive). Skipped blue Tracks because his box had a yellow photo (the line's other recolors had the right photo).

Asterisk, I hurried to get 2 Red Alerts, belatedly picked up a Sunstreaker at Botcon, and blew off Blaster entirely. Didn't really get into Kiss Play, something about plastic toys for die-cast prices was a serious put off. That was also half the reason I blew off Electrostatic Mirage...the other half being Takara's stupidity in not offering a normal blue variant. And Black Convoy, yeah, $250 was never really feasible. When they tried to relaunch the line, I picked up 2 of Bluestreak and Prime. I might've gotten 2 Arcees too, but not right away, and probably skipped silver Jazz because I hated the movie so much and already had the G1-colored release anyway.