Minor/Repaint: Alternators Strongarm and Beatdown (Battalion #1)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Superquad7, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Well, this has certainly been a while! I finally have a [mostly] completed project thread with a gallery of photos to show you guys! I have to say I'm pretty excited about this, for a number of reasons. Well, here we go:

While Hasbro and Takara[TOMY] (for the most part) stopped making new Alternators, some new knock-off Alternators were released. One mold was the Prowl Acura RSX/Honda Integra Type-R in a Gong An Chinese police deco. Being the police car enthusiast that I am as well as having an Alt/BT completest bug of sorts, I was very interested. This mold did not fit my current plans, so I returned the conceptual drawing board for what do with this mold.

One of the main things I've learned about creating artwork is the artist is essentially a problem-solver. I chuckle at the often stereotypical (and skewed) view that mainly stems from Impressionism that art is simply about expressing oneself. While an artist can truly do that, I must contend that art is much more. This being said, I was faced with another problem to solve. I really feel that my Autobot police force was very much complete, so I found myself in a bit of a hard place as I really do not enjoy depicting police officers in a bad light (e.g., no Decepticonpolice cars). My plans did require that I make the allegiance Decepticon, so I had to come up with a cool way to justify it (and to solve my "problem"). This project spawned the project for me to create a full Decepticon police force as well (more news at 11).

When I create an "army", I like to troop build, but not with very huge numbers. I went ahead and bought two of this mold, and this gave me another idea. Since there were two of these robots, I thought it would be a cool idea to have them as mirror image "twins". Growing up, I also loved G.I.Joe, and the Crimson Twins were favorites of mine. The idea of them being twin brothers, but mirror images of each other really intrigues me. Thus I set forth to employ this idea with these two Decepticon police car customs.

I also didn't want just two "evil Prowls" running around, so I decided to use a different head sculpt. I thought that the Silverstreak head had a nice samurai vibe to it that really suited the culture of the police department represented by the deco. I also did my research and found that the Gong An police force uses navy uniforms with gold as a secondary color (just like the car deco). I emulated the uniforms with the color scheme of the robot mode.

No modifications have been made to the alt modes at this point. I am very much sold on the idea of changing out the light bars to be more accurate to the real world Gong An police cars. That will come some time later, but I doubt that I'll shoot another gallery for just that modification. We'll see :) 

I am very satisfied with the way STRONGARM and BEATDOWN turned out. The robot identities came from conversations with my friend, Razerwire, since he also sought out to create a custom character with his own knock off purchase. I wanted their names to suggest excessive violence and oppression, just like my original idea.

Since I'm also [pre-]writing my own fanfic, I sought to create an story device that would usher this idea along:

"In light of the Autobot presence within Earth's human culture, the Decepticons sought to use the humanity's law against for oppression and tyranny. This new police force requires a squad of soldiers dedicated to the Decepticon cause, armed only with enough individuality to be lethal. SHOCKWAVE created STRONGARM and BEATDOWN to confuse Earth's inhabitants who would most likely mistake their noble police force for that of the Autobots' own diplomatic assistance to humanity's causes! The Autobot's newest foes are a force to be reckoned with, especially for PROWL and his mighty Autobot Police Force!"

Also, you can view the Radicons gallery of these guys here: Strongarm and Beatdown (Battalion #1) - Alternators - Binaltech Customs - TFW2005.COM

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  2. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    These guys look fantastic SQ7! Such a clean paint job on them and I know that they were done by hand which makes them even more special.

3. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Those are awesome SQ7. Love the decals on them, I wanted to give my protectobots japanese motif, but decided not too. Paint looks really clean

4. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Totally awesome! The paint is so darn even, not to mention the fact that you brush paint everything, and white too! Dang, you've got a great technique. I like the twin idea, sounds like a very promising fan-fic!

..and Beatdown: Best name ever!:thumbs2: 

5. Brazilian

Brazilian Well-Known Member

Amazing man! I wished alts/BT havent been cancelled so we could have way more options...

6. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

Now your boosting the Decepticon army. What has the world come to?

Excellent job, as always.

7. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    He's hung around me long enough, that's what! :lol  Glad to see you get to post these up man. I know it's a sigh of relief. Love the lil touch-ups you did to differentiate them.

8. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

Freaking sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    As always bud, they look great. And I too love the names for them.

10. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Sweet as always. Man, your work is always like a "How To" when it comes to painting. Top notch, as always. :thumb 

11. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

SQ7 the alt king, dude you never cease to amaze me as always top shelf

12. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Again, this has been just a little while for me, but I want to take the time to reply to you guys who were kind enough to take the time to post. I distinctly remember the last time peeps posted in another such thread, I was pretty pressed and wasn't able to interact as much. I'm glad things are different :) 

I really wished I could take the fullness of these compliments, but alas I cannot. My only modifications were the robot parts. These Gong An KOs came in robot mode like Prowl, but the alt modes were already decoed with the "Gong An" police deco. The police details are tamoed on.

The robot mode parts were painted by my hand though. I did dye the hands as well. The dying process worked out well for the hands because it shrunk them just a small fit and made the fingers tighter [initially, the fists were loose].

Thanks for the props guys. :) 

Hehe, I hope I cleared up the painting by me. I deplore painting white, but I've pulled it off with brushes. These were not results of that though.

Thanks for the props on my story. I do have to give some props to my buddy, Razerwire. He and I really talked these Gong An police Alts out when we were both getting ours. Anyways, I'm glad you like my work :) 

Well, this is what customs are for though! :)  I've had a lot of fun really taking this line places where Hasbro/Takara[TOMY] never planned (and even in places they had, but just hadn't followed through. Thanks for the kind words buddy :) 

Goodness, what is the world coming to? We need heroes! Perhaps the Autobots can ward off the Decepticons! I really started boosting the ranks of the Decepticons with my Alt Seekers . . . and there's still more in store :) 

Great to see you around again, and thanks for the props :) 

Gracious, I think we've made each other worse! :lol 

You're right, though. I've a lot of projects that I've just been itching to post! These guys just happened to have their full galleries taken, so I just had to edit the photos. I'll be pretty glad when I get my photo booth set back up, especially with my new idea :) 

I'm glad you appreciate the subtly of the way I made these guys different from each other. While I did want them to initially not have much of an identity, these bots will eventually learn more and more, growing into their own individuals. SHOCKWAVE may not like this, but it'll happen. We'll see if he can do anything to circumvent this. Or perhaps this is happens from another source to thwart his plans? Who would do this? SCREAMER and his Seekers? Or someone else . . . ?

:ev: 

Thanks for the props buddy :)  I'm glad you like them so well :) 

Bro, thanks so much for the props! I'm glad you like everything I've shared :) 

Hehe, well, if I'm able to share my work and have someone else grow from it, I'm certainly happy :)  I appreciate the comments, man :thumb 

Alt king? Hehe, well I certainly like the line :)  Thanks for the props, bud :thumb 

Again, thanks to you guys who check out my work as well as those who take the time to post your thoughts. I'm always glad to share :) 

13. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    Great work as always man, very clean.
    They look good enough to eat :D 

14. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ah ok now I see sq7. Still though, great job. They look like premium factory toys with how crisp all the decals and such are. You the Man!

15. Superquad7

News Credits:
    U no eat my customz!

Thanks for the props, buddy! It's always good to see you around :wink: 

The "decals" (tamo graphics) are factory (see initial post). I do make my own faction labels.

Thanks for the props just the same, man :) 

16. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    No, he's not quite the Alt King...but he is the Prefecture King!

And these looked even better in person.

17. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Good job on the bot modes man. I always thought the Silverstreak head looked a bit mean to begin with so as d-cons they fit well! Are there any differences between the 2 bots? I see the d-con symbols are placed on the arms in a mirror image fashion but I can't see much else

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  18. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Hehe, thanks for the props, buddy! I hope the next time you're up, things will be even more organized and better displayed. You've had the pleasure of seeing my stuff in an absolute mess too :lol 

Thanks for the props, buddy; I really appreciate it. That's another reason I chose the head, also. After I painted them with the scheme I went with, I really think it brings that out even more. The head is a favorite of mine for this very reason, which is why I used it for my Alternators Seekers as well [that and the fact that the vents were already on the sides :) ]

In terms of differences, yeah, that's pretty much it. I rrreeaaaaalllyyy wanted to be subtle about the differences. I figured that's about as subtle as one could get. :) 

Guys, thank you again so much for taking the time to view my work and interact with it. :) 

19. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I know I'm late to the party, but I must say - awesome work, man!

I own one of these bootlegs and I realy love what you did here. And I'm stealing "Beatdown" for his name. He might be an autobot, but who says autobots can't beat bad people.

20. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Thanks for the props man; I really appreciate it! Your comment is especially cool since you own one of these and are familiar first hand as to what I specifically modified. When I first saw these, I really wanted them, but I have little use for a second Prowl.

As for the name, as long as you're essentially just using it for your own self and such, I've no problem with it :)  The main thing I really try to do with my work is make distinctive characters. This is why I am a bit more protective of my "babies" so to speak. Along with making distinctive characters, I want them to be unable to be confused with the work of others, especially since fan characters are generally endearing to their creators :) 

Again, thanks for the props and taking the time to post in my project thread :)