Customs: Alternators Starscream (Dodge Viper)

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by NGW, Jun 25, 2007.

1. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    So, this is going to be my first custom ever. I have...little experience with models (done or two before, but nothing like this before).

The model kit I plan to use is a Revell Monogram 1:25 scale Dodge Viper.

Seen here: http://www.revell.com/catalog/products/1_25_Scale_Dodge_Viper_SRT_10-491-0.html

Now, I have not started work on this at all yet (I actually do plan to start sometime soon-ish).

I do have links and info on reshelling an alt and stuff like that, so I'm not too concerned with the process itself.

At the moment I am still undecided on a couple..rather important things:
    1) Which alternator to dismantle and reshell
    2) Which Screamer head to go with ( that'd look best with the model I am using)
    3) How to do his paint scheme

The first, I have absolutely no idea on...at all.
    The second, again..not really sure, was thinking a more recent line though.
    His paint scheme I actually do have an idea for (silver being the body color of course...and maybe red striping or something, not sure on the blue though).

So yeah, any ideas, help, input or whatever would be much appreciated.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    You know there is a viper alternator.

3. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Yes...yes I do.

Wanted to give my own a shot though.

4. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    If you're going in with so little knowledge, I would use one of the existing vipers.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I wish you the best with your bash, but as other have said, I don't see the overwhelming need to reinvent the wheel. If you're able to come up with something totally different and cool with the Viper, by all means go for it.

I used the Silverstreak head on all 7 of my Alt Seekers, but I'll be using a Smokescreen head on 3 more future Seekers. And actually, right now, I'm working on another Seeker that uses the Ricochet head I got on clearance today :D 

If you've done a little modeling previously, you may be able to pull what you're going after off. There are a ton of resources on the net for the sort of thing you're looking for. This board and others (http://www.tfmaster.com/) will be of great use to you. Can't wait to see what you make!

6. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Sounds cool.....I'd really like it if you gave the Viper a whole new transformation...(and from your post, thats the vibe I'm getting)

Just take your time, test fit everything before you glue, and you'll be on your way to a new custom :thumb 

7. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Thanks for all the support and advice.

I don't want to go with something we already have. I figure what better way to test the waters than to jump right in, eh?

Just been looking over the shell, trying to see how exactly this is all gonna work (and again..still thinking on the color scheme).

At one point I had been thinking on doing a complete custom, but I'm not quite up to that level, so a reshelling might be best.

Still wondering who to reshell and such though.

8. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Pick an Alt that has the same wheelbase as the model kit....and preferrably one that fits "inside" the model (you may have to "remove" some material/parts from the Alt first)....but it'll save you a lot of frustrations later on...

9. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    Is Transtopia accepting new users? While you can browse the galleries & their forum, you can't create a new account & post on their boards. (Ever since the merger was announced with Seibertron.com, they'd quit taking new members to make the merger 'easier'. -And of course, after TF Master's death, I don't know what's going on with that front...)

It really is a great site to look at for inspiration though... A lot of GREAT artists there!

10. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

Not to discourage, but I would seriously begin with a less ambitious project if this is your first custom, and you have little model kit experience. Otherwise you'll end up with an abandoned pile of parts and a huge feeling of disappointment.