Alternators: Sensation of ... complete?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by e3nine, Jul 30, 2007.

1. e3nine

e3nine I have a large MISB collection.

News Credits:
    Who else watched this line start and finish?

I remember :
    - chasing down Silverstreak and Hound when they were first shipped. I was so desperate, I purchased Silverstreak at a K-Mart at inflated prices.
    - the blue Tracks fiasco.
    - frustrating case assortments (Shockblast and Wheeljack case replaced by Grimlock and Swindle)
    - finding the fishbowls for the first time and gawking at the 360 view of the toy (I'm an MISB'er, this was a treat)
    - the devastation of the SDCC 2006 HBTS blunder
    - the pure pain of never seeing Ravage or Rumble on a shelf.

Over all ... I'm just a bit bummed to see these figures finish up. There's lots of repaint potentials out there that I'd purchase up in a second ... then again ... if we see another WRX, I'm sure we'd riot.

Here's to BotCon 08's exclusive Frenzy (blue guy) completely wrecking the complete set.

2. Sludge

Sludge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I collected them at the beginning. Then I took a break and had to catch up. My biggest regret was seeing Swerve in Target and thinking "I'll buy him later"! :banghead: 

3. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

Yup, mine are complete now that Hot Rod has been ordered, and is indeed bittersweet. The line went on far longer than I ever expected, which has been great. Sure they have been hard to track down at times, but I did see all of them at retail except Ravage and Rumble (refuse to shop at Wal Mart).

In all it has been really satisfying and I have seen almost every character I would have wanted given the Alt treatment. Now I'll just have to work on the last few customs I want to do to make my collection comlete, so its not quite dead to me yet.

Now with the EHobby Mirage on preorder I just need the Wonderfest convoy to be completely donw.

4. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    < is missing shockblast and rumble :( 

5. Sludge

Sludge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm still missing Battle Ravage, Swerve and Nemesis Prime. I'll probably get Battle Ravage any day now. But the other two are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

6. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

I watched the line begin with great joy and tons of potential. I then watched one of the best lines ever sputter & die with the half-assed Decepticons, odd character/mold choices, distribution problems, repaint hell, and so on. And I couldn't care less about any of the rare ones, much less Alt Rodimus.

I like the ones I still have, but good riddance to the line. Bring on Classics 2.0.

7. Mixmaster

Mixmaster 4F 68 A0 54 69 74 73 21

News Credits:
    I vaguely recall the line starting, but I did not start collecting them until Grimlock came out. Now, all that is left for me to do is to get Rodimus, having got Alts 1-26 which I kind of feel sad about. Sad, since this has been the only line I've had the enthusiasm to complete, something I couldn't even manage with the (retail) Classics.

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm a Binaltech first, Alt if it didn't have a match. With SDCC Rodimus and eHobby Mirage on the way, all I need is to graduate so I can afford BT Nemesis Prime and my collection will be done.

I love 'em and hope the get revisited again in the future, in one form or another. But the car-only bit and the repaint-heavy nature of the line sorta doomed it in the long run for me. I guess I think of it as Calvin & Hobbes or Farside--going out on top.

9. revlimiter

revlimiter Bot Hacker

News Credits:
    Start to finish! Ahhh. memories.

I read a review of Smokescreen before he was available. And then, about 3 months later, freaked the fuck out when I found him in a Target. I had no idea that they were making these guys! I went back the next day for Sideswipe after playing with Smokescreen all night.

I didn't see another Alt till Jazz was released. Stores around me never got Hound, Silverstreak, etc. I ebayed the ones I was missing a while later.

I then got very lucky with my Alt collecting. I got Jazz in the red box release. No problems finding Dragstrip / d-charge. No problems finding Shockwave or Wheeljack. I never saw Swerve (no interest in him) or Camshaft, but later ebay'd the grey RSX.

I survived Nemmy. The exact moment I saw the SOLD OUT on HTS, I ebay'd one for a low price. Then marveled at the high prices Nemmy reached later that week. DAMN.

Mirage and Ops were jewels in my crown. I found them both on their first release hidden in the car toys. Yup, hidden. Sunday morning in Target, no new toys except the fishbowl Jazz. I started wandering around, ended up looking at diecast cars, and noticed a big red truck. A couple feet to the left was a blue Ford GT. hehehehe. A million thanks to whoever hid these for me to find.

Rumble and Ravage were shelfwarmers here. I was happy to buy a couple extras to ship to a buddy who never was able to find them.

And now, Hot Rod. Oh, Hot Rod. A toy I didn't really want, yet how could I not buy the LAST Alternator? I went the ebay scalper route and gladly paid some guy an extra $20 for his troubles of getting a red sportscar from the HTS booth. He'll arrive on Wednesday and mark the end of my Alt collecting.

so sad...

10. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

Found smokescreen at wal mart before i even knew what a transformers forum was. It floored me..... went back and bought sideswipe later that day.

i thought they were a one time deal, then some kid at school showed me big bad toy store and their newly aquired case of silverstreak/dead end.

been collecting them one by one ever since. The only one i had to get online were swerve and camshaft, both at retail price.

one wal mart around here got every damn one of em, except for the late red box assortments that i think only showed up at toys r us

11. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    I remember the redbox sale @ walmart and buying up an entire display to trade for others. Buying a alt swerve for $15 from johnnyreb @ tfans...then later selling him for $15 to a local pal.

On a side note, does anyone know if rumble and ravage are coming to canada?

12. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I missed out on the line completely (saw some figures in store before...but that was before I got back into collecting)....and I got screwed by HTS at SDCC for Alt. Hot Rod (sorry..still bitter).

13. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    It's been a bumpy ride. Great to start out with, subpar ending. I'm only missing Nemesis Prime and Hot Rod. I'd like to have them but doubt I'll ever get them.

14. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    As many have said, it was a wonderful line and had so much potential as seen by the kitbashing legions. But overall it was terribly done from both marketing and distrobution.

15. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    1 per mold is enough. I want new molds, not repaints.

16. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I jumped in shortly after it started...

17. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I was there from the beginning, and am still pissed to hell over not ever laying eyes on a single Swerve. Now sealed ones go for $150+, which means I'll never own one. I've also never seen a Camshaft, though they're a bit more affordable. I never even tried to obtain Nemesis Prime last year, as completing the line was far less of a priority at that point. I have purchased some Alt Rodimus', but I'm happy the line is over........for now.

18. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I used to be good at getting them until stores stopped regularly stocking them, so all I was left with were shelf warmers. The line was awesome, but they really messed up the distribution on these. So many Alts that Im missing. :(  Hasbro needs to bring back all of them. Im missing so many and I refuse to pay insane prices to get the ones I want.

19. HollyW00d

HollyW00d Collecting Freak

I remember first seeing the initial wave of Alternators and not really liking them. Then when I saw the second wave I was hooked. I ended up getting most of the figures online for a good price, and finding figures like Shockblast, Camshaft, Mirage, Jazz, and Optimus in the stores when most people couldn't. HEll I even lucked out and got Shockblast for 9.99.

Now with Rodimus, I feel complete.

20. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

The only ones I am missing are Wheeljack, Nem Prime, Swerve and Decepticharge.
    The only one I am looking for is Wheeljack.

In my area, Shockblast, Wheeljack, Swerve, Decepticharge, Rumble, Ravage Corvette, and Ravage 2.0 were NEVER released.
    So sad :(