Minor/Repaint: Alternators Rollbar (Small Changes Make a BIG Difference!)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Superquad7, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hey guys, I just wanted to share one of the more minor mods that I've made to an Alt - Rollbar! Post after post I've read the complaints about how Hasbro "cheaped out" and made an awful Alt with both Rollbar and Ricochet. Hasbro was very upfront that in order to keep the line going that each mold would have to revisted a few times to come out on the mold.

Admittedly, even knowing this I was disappointed some when I first got Ricochet and Rollbar. Instead of griping, I decided early on to just do something about each of them. I have to be very forthcoming to say that Rico grew on me quicker; I've always loved the character, plus he wasn't as lacking as Rollbar was (except for needing some paint on the nose, but I didn't mind it that much personally). While I was in the midst of my Alternators Seekers project, I went ahead and visited Alternators Ricochet with some Targetmaster treatment; Rollbar just got pushed back a bit.

A few months back, I finally got to Rollbar. It's not a heap of work, mind you, but I think it makes all of the difference in the world with this bot. After I finished, I just remember having this "MAN, I REALLY like this guy a lot more now!" feeling. All I did was add some flat black to the grill and the doors.

Anyways, people read mainly with their eyes (I do!), so here are the photos I shot of my work:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, I forgot to add that I gave him a bit more firepower (though not as much as Alternators Ricochet Targetmaster):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a "custom" that anyone who has a halfway steady hand (I have mild hand tremors at times), a bottle of flat black paint (you can buy a bottle of flat black Testors acrylic for about $0.99 + tax IIRC), and a detail brush can do.

I hope you guys enjoy the photos! :) 

*EDIT* Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

(note the engine: it's painted silver now!) :D 

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Why they chinced out on such a minor detail will always baffle me....

The added paint apps make it look so much better :thumb 

3. vector

vector City Commander

Ebay:
    Hey alan I need your address pls. :) 

4. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Chicks dig the Mutt!

News Credits:
    Bah... I think I'm gonna cut the door off of mine altogether when I get around to it. Do need to paint the grill though... Good to see mine's not the only one that doesn't snap together at the waist.

Searchlight's head, Wideload's color, Rollbar's alt mode... he's three throttlebots in one.

Nice gun, which Gundam [I'm assuming] did you steal it from?

5. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Looks good man. The little things always make the big differences.

6. Paul Prime

Paul Prime Well-Known Member

You're right. I like it more now.

7. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

That does make a difference. Nice job.

The comment that "Hicks_Royel" made, about the doors, has me wondering why no one ever made some custom, Half, doors since there isn't a hard top on these. It might look nice when he is in Bot mode. Less kibble

Either way, Nice work SQ7

8. Hicks_Royel

News Credits:
    Someone did cut the window frames off along with the roll cage when they made Alt Kup. Looked damn good as an "old soldier" style Jeep.

9. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

I must have missed that one. Sounds cool.
    True, Half doors, are different than just cutting off the window frame. There is an angled piece, that comes down from the hinge, and then the door hgt is even with the "rear" section of the Jeep. The Rollbar could be left on since that is never taken off, normally.

Enough about the Doors. Let us bask in the delight of SQ7s wonderful MOD.

10. Hicks_Royel

News Credits:
    Nah, I'm through basking... Until he ditches that head [or adds some ears] it'll never be Rollbar. Just the best looking of the orange Jeeps.

But yeah, good luck finding that Alt Kup, the search engine doesn't seem to like three letter words.

11. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Gives more realistic look for sure, nice idea :) 

12. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I did similar modifications to mine (black paint on the doors and grill), I also made his visor translucent and took all that gold paint off his arms.

[​IMG]

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Thanks for the props man. Aside from just costs, a part of me wants to think that this is just a way to get people to pick up that detail brush and some flat black paint.

Or not. :(  I'll continue to use my imagination and pretend that's the case. Heh.

Thanks for the props buddy!

Hehe sent :wink: 

As for more modifications, I'll just say stay tuned :) 

For the transform, mine actually transforms properly, but I was just tfing back and forth so quickly to get all of the photos finished. I had actually shot the vehicle mode with the faction symbol panel up in alt mode. I reshot those photos. I'd forget my head had God not attached it on.

Thanks! I honestly can't remember at this point because I constantly pick up random Gundam and misc. guns that fit my bots. I have a bottle labeled "Gundam weapons" [I have all of my stuff in the small, $1 Steralite Dollar Tree totes :) ]

Exactly! I was just shocked at the difference it made. I really love each Alt that's been made, but before this minor mod my response was more of a "ah" instead of an "SWEET!" reaction (i.e. when KP Rodimus was opened). I just thought I'd like it some more/place back on shelf. I was pleasantly surprised. :D 

This is actually a nice, convenient diversion because of something I have coming up. I think you guys have got some really good ideas going on here. I hope to see some of them made :D 

Thanks for the props buddy! :D 

Wow, I had no idea you had did this as well! Color me ignorant (no shock for me in this dept.). I really like everything you did! Thanks for showing it to me (and the rest of us :) )

*Just a note: I edited the first post to include a photo of his back so the back of th e arms (particularly the engine) can be seen. (added before/after photos)

14. RHansen

RHansen Sir. Ranbotnic Veteran

News Credits:

there isn't a hard top? on mine there is :D 

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

haha great job rev!

15. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Nice work, as usual. Looks better then ever. Now, some Jeep related suggestions.

* - Half doors.
    * - Bigger tires
    * - Ditch the spare.

;) 

16. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I always wished Hasbro made a revised mold just like this, repainted it and released it as Brawn - one of the coolest G1 characters imo, and one that is soarly in need of some 'upgrade' love.

17. C16

C16 Space Nomad

Where did you get the hardtop? I've wanted one forever.