Minor/Repaint: Alternators Red Alert

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Squall42080, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

Beautiful!

2. Dragstrip85

Dragstrip85 Well-Known Member

Sorry for bumping this topic back again, but I have a question....what kind of paint was used for this kitbash? I really love it. It looks freaking awesome. I want to make a Red Alert using the Viper mold myself since I don't want to buy an expensive BTA.

If I would do one, I'd use these kind of decals, FDNY for me in honor on NY's firefighters. :D 
    http://www.chimneyvilledecals.com/124125fire.html

3. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Dragstrip85 - The paint I used to make this kitbash was Krylon Fusion. Its just the generic white color...the only white I have ever seen made by Krylon Fusion. I just left the red areas of Sideswipe alone...I didn't paint them...

I prefered Red Alert to match Sideswipe anyway...partial G1 homage all the way!

FDNY would be really cool...I'm from NY myself...I moved to PA to go to college!

I can post more pics if you'd like...

4. Dragstrip85

Please do, please do post new pics! I want to be inspired to make this kitbash :D 

Krylon Fusion, do they sell this anywhere or just paint/hardware stores? Also, what technique did you use to make the red portion of the car unaffected by the white painting or were you just being extra careful :lol  ? I was thinking of using spray paint, but not sure how that would work.

5. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Krylon fusion is only available in spray can. It bonds to the plastic. I'd imagine he used masking tape for the parts that are only half white.

6. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

Insane Galvatron: So when are you going to reveal this method of dying plastic white?

7. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I may as well do it now, as I just dont' ever seem to have time to perfect it.

http://www.detailyourcar.com/shop/index.php?page=shop/flypage&product_id=6

I ordered some in white and have had mixed results. I dyed as Armada supercon Prime head and it came out great. I tried to make a spychanger Magnus out of Prime from the dollar store, and it didn't take at all. Feel free to pick up a can or two and try it yourself. I was gonna play with it more to see how to get more consistant results, but lack of time and a good place to do it ( I live in an apartment, and it's too cold outside to go out and spray stuff ) has halted my progress.

8. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Me like very much!!
    Keep up the good work.

9. Dragstrip85

Yoo hoo, Squall, hope you get to reply to this post :D 

After a month since replying here, I just started the kitbash. So far, I sprayed the hood only.
    Wondering, how did you remove the front headlights? How did you avoid paining the lights on the back?

Also, is the Sideswipe head detachable? I don't want to break it if it isn't :( 

How did you cover his face to avoid painting it? Too many questions :cry 

10. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    From what I could see of the early pic, that looks freaking sweet! Though it's kinda hard to imagine a white viper on the streets.

Haven't done this myself yet, but the trick is to cover the parts you don't want to paint with masking tape. Then you can just spray the whole part and peel the tape off when it's dry.

11. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Very nice repaints! I'm working on a few myself, and the Red Alert looks exceptionally nice.

12. Dragstrip85

I should have read this reply before I even started spraying. I forgot to mask tape under the hood, the paint went through the tiny line holes and messed it up. I had no intention to paint under the hood

:banghead:  damnit :banghead:  damnit :banghead:  damnit

13. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
  14. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

Thanks for pointing out how to use Red Alert's head on the Grimlock body. Was already planning on using the same parts to make a new character, just wasn't sure how to get the head on there. Now I have to find those rubber gaskets.