Alternators please!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by mandiprime97, Sep 20, 2011.

1. mandiprime97

mandiprime97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Hi, I'm still a bit new to the Transformers even though I've liked them since 2007. The Alternators are really cool, and if you guys could post pics and info on them (i.e, where to buy, what figures recommended, what characters there are), I just want to learn more about them because they look interesting to me. Thanks :D 

2. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Where to Buy: Our own Junkion or ebay. Get Meister/Jazz mold. Or Grimlock (though a lot of people seem to have problems with that mold).

3. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    The wiki is your friend:
    Transformers: Alternators - Transformers Wiki

As to getting them: pretty much source that sells older toys (Big Bad Toy Store, eBay, etc) sells them. They are no longer available at retail. Because of their "collector" orientation, a LOT of sources got into buying them back then. But because they are so collector friendly, they still tend to command premium pricing (depending on character). Early character were vastly overshipped and are fairly easy to get cheaply, later releases or short runs (like Swerve) still command pretty hefty prices.

Personally, I think the Subaru Imprezza, Mazda RX-6 and Acura RSX produced some of the better figures with the Corvette and Viper close behind. The Mustang (despite having two of my favorite characters AND my preferred vehicle mode) is one of the most frustrating Transformer products I've ever handled.

4. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    I'm sure there are still Feedback threads for some of them if you want to search that forum.

At any rate, my favorites are Grimlock, Silverstreak, Shockblast[wave], Tracks and Mirage.

5. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

I LOVE alternators. I recommend the following molds;

Jeep (Hound, Swindle and Rollbar). Slightly limited arm movement but besides that minor flaw a really solid alternator. Which version depends on your prefered faction, character and color-scheme of course.

Mazda (Shockblast/Wave and Jazz). A sweet looking mold with good articulation. Both are equally awesome to me, though Shockwave as a car might not be for everyones, I like it.

Subaru (Smokescreen, Silverstreak, Ricochet). Probably my absolute favorite mold of the Alternators. Looks great (especially with the Binaltech arming kits).

Ford (Mirage, Rodimus). Hands look kind of big, otherwise a solid posable mold.

Scion (Skids). Great articulation. A VERY underrated mold. Maybe because of the character.

Jaguar (Ravage). Cool looking panther, much better version then the first Ravage.

Acura (Prowl, Camshaft). Cool and pretty well articulated. Colorwise Camshaft is kind of bland though (but there is always Reprolabels to remedy that). I would have preferd Prowl out of the Subaru mold, but he looks good.

The other Alternator molds are cool too and worth owning but these I listed above are my favorites. I do NOT like the Mustang as Wheeljack, it works as Grimlock though imo. The Corvette, Honda S2000 and Dodge Ram have pretty bad posability (which is important to me), they look cool though. I havnt even Transformed my Honda Civic (Rumble) so I don't know about him, I am not glad about his lack of arms though (he has piledrivers).

6. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You should check out the Alternity line as well :) 

7. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I actually think that most of them are awesome. This is an older pic I have of them from my collection. I need to update this.

[​IMG]

They do need some work. The majority of them need some Reprolabel love. Some like Prowl/Red Alert need head swaps. They all need Binal Tech Arming Parts or some one to make those for you. But once that is done, they really turn out great.

8. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The current mass release alternative is Human Alliance (the larger ones), you might want to check those as well.

9. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

Alternators rule! Plus the Kreon figs fit in the driver seat!

10. Ultra BuckNutz

Ultra BuckNutz Sharkticon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Your story is similar to mine. Te Alternators are what sucked me in about a year ago, and the addiction has set in from there.

I would be patient about getting them as deals can definitely be had. I've obtained almost all of the molds (that I want) at this point - all through eBay - and have averaged about $25 a pop for them including shipping. I've dropped as much as $35 on a few, but got a couple of absolute steals (Sideswipe mint in box for $7) to bring the average down. That's all been within the past year.

As far as which molds are the best, it depends on a lot of things. Factor in what features are most important to to: what characters you like the most, possibility, vehicle modes you like, etc.

For me, I love Hound and the Jeep is great. Almost no shoulder mobility is a major detractor, but overall, I love it. The Mazdas and Subarus transform very similarly and are amongst my favorite for design. I love Corvettes, so Tracks is sweet in vehicle mode, though his robot mode is mediocre in my opinion. Mirage/Hot Rod offers arguable the best possibility.

I like the Mustang, but the arms are infuriating. OP is OK, but not great.

Don't have the Skids or Honda mold, so I can't opine.

Hope that gives you some insight.

11. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    so far i've got 3.

Ravage (jaguar), Nemesis Prime and Shockblast. Love them all. My next, and possibly last is finding a Clear Rijie. Can't seem to lay a hand on him.

Get a couple, they're awesome.

12. Chromewear

Chromewear Well-Known Member

I just started collecting BT/alternators early this year and my favorite molds are sideswipe and mirage

They are all pretty good IMO.
    just be mindful that if you want to play with them vs display them then you should get alternators not the BT versions

13. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Other than G1, Alts./BT's are my favorite line. I have over 50 between Alts./BT/Alternity lines (including some duplicates, mostly used for reprolabel purposes), and I don't think there is a single one I don't like.

Starting out, I'd recommend the following:

1. Alt's Sideswipe and Smokescreen......they can be had for next to nothing if you're patient on ebay, and are two of the better molds (WRX is just an awesome design in both modes, and Sideswipe is my favorite head mold of the line).

2. Alt's Mirage. Best vehicle mode of the series IMO. If you prefer red, and are patient, you can grab SDCC Rodimus for probably just a few bucks more (same mold).

3. Get a jeep. My suggestion is BT Swindle. He's one of the cheaper BT's, and his color scheme and head sculpt are really nice. Hard to go wrong with Hound, too, though the BT version will cost you a bit. Alt's version is more affordable.

4. Get a couple more of the cheaper BT's (yellow tracks, optimus......you'll be able to get these almost as cheap as the Alt's. equivalents....but they are the much better metal BT versions).

5. Get a Mazda RX-8. If you're going for Jazz, and aren't into reprolabels, I'd suggest spending a little more on the BT Argent (silver) version. If you're willing to do reprolabels, then I'd recommend getting the white Alt's version. Its probably the cheapest RX-8 option out there, and its probably the best reprolabels set available for the line (in my opinion, at least).

14. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I've got a couple I'm selling. They're great... but I'm consolidating my collection.

Meister (Jazz) was one of the finer ones IMO.

15. World Prime

World Prime Za Warudo!

Ebay:
    Swindle and Sunstreaker are my favorites and the only ones that I still appreciate after the upgrade in engineering that the movie lines have given us.

16. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

you need a parking lot full of these dude. maybe a dealership.

i'd recommend all of them and maybe buy doubles for custom purposes.

17. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
  18. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    God I miss that line (or more precisely, Binaltech)....

19. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

ooh yes get binaltech instead!

20. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I really wanted to see that Caddy Megs . . . .