Customs: Alternators ML RAMPAGE or Armada Wheeljack

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Darkprime, May 13, 2006.

1. Darkprime

Darkprime Antigrav Singular Destron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Micron Legend RAMPAGE or Armada Wheeljack

This is actually my very first kitbash ever and overall I'm very pleased with it, but there are several things I can improve next time thanks to all I learned in the process. I choose to model this figure off of Takara's version of armada wheeljack or simply Micron Legend Rampage.

[​IMG]

I hope Squall42080 doesn't think I'm trying to copy his alt-armada concept because I told him of my plans of this guy a long time ago and he said he would be doing one as well someday, I just thought his would be ready by now. Like him, I really enjoyed armada and some of the characters I think look great as alts. Oh and by the way, Squall42080 does absolutely amazing work so if you haven't seen his armada-alt customs, you are missing something truely special.

Here's what I did to make this guy: I took everything apart within removing pins. I stripped as much paint off of an alternators prowl as I could before I painted it. I could have gone the easy route and just left prowl's black plastic alone, but I came across Tamiya Metallic Black spray paint. WOW! You can't tell from the pics, but in person he looks so much better painted metallic black. Since a lot of the plastic is black, I didn't need much paint. Combined that with Tamiya Clear Paint (clearcoat) on the body and the body doesn't chip! I also took the spoiler from a BT Prowl because it more resembled the spoiler on wheeljack/rampage. When removing the lightbar, I used Tamiya Modeling Putty to fill in the holes. This seemed to work well but after I let it dry and then painted it, the putty would settle even further down the hole (or compress) so I still have small depressions where the lightbar was. I may come back to fix this sometime, but in bot mode it doesn't matter. Thanks to a small sacrifice from another alt prowl, this figure gets not one, but two whooping-sticks. The logos come by way of Reprolabels. I used their "clear backing" logos and they RULE! If you buy logos from them, I suggest that style. However, I did use a silver backed logo on his chest for the decepticon badge. By using the silver backed one here, it looks kinda like a hood ornament/badge. I tried the clear backing one here but you just couldn't see it against the black.

As you can tell by the chest, I did remove part of the autobot logo for the scar. The scar is not just silver paint. I used a dremmel on it to dig into the plastic and really rough it up to give more of the appearance of a scar in person, much like a real scar. I toyed with the idea of cutting a hole to expose the engine, but I decided it may look bad and actually is kinda stupid. I can understand having a battle scar or emotional scar like that kept around, but the orignal toy didn't just have a scar, he had a HOLE. I think it made more sense to show the hood has having sealed up but leaving something that looks more like a real scar.

The head comes from Bumblebee1251 of Transtopia. He casted an alternators meister head and sent me two copies. The heads turned out ok, but it was good enough to use, and much cheaper than buying a meister to chop off its head. With some use of a dremmel, lots of sanding, chiselling out the top of the head to give the appearance of horns, and carefully painting it, I think I have a fairly convincing armada wheeljack head. I thought about using an armada wheeljack head, but it would be a bit too small and messy to remove and convert for an alternator body.

Some other thoughts: Taking the time to mask off parts with modeling masking tape really helps. This way I didn't get any paint over the windows or the black trim around them. I Used tamiya acryllics: Flat Yellow, Flat White, White Primer (spray), Pure White (Spray), Metallic Black (spray), Flat Black (for the interior), and Sky Blue (a perfect match of the blue on the original armada figure). For the wheels and face, I used Testors Gold Enamel. My acryllic gold was just too light of a color to use. Oh, and everything I painted got a Clear Coat treatment to help from chipping. Not only that, but it helps a lot of the paint to shine too!

The one area I would love to redo in the future are the legs and arms that are white. I just couldn't get my paints to adhere well to those regions. Consequently, I had stripped the paint several times but that only made things worse. Up close, the arms look fine but the thighs look messy (only the white part, not the yellow). If Hasbro ever gives us a repaint with White Parts, I will be buying a spare to swap some extra parts on this figure. Also, if anyone repaints a prowl, do not paint the balljoints, the elbows, or shoulders as any paint in this high friction parts will come right off, just as is happing in those places on mine.

If there are any questions, please feel free to ask. Critism is welcome, but remember this is my very first kitbash so please keep harsh words to a minimum and kind words to a maximum. :) 

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For more pictures, you can see all of them here: http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a286/Djinnmage/alt_rampage/

2. Clutchburn

Clutchburn Swollen Member

Ebay:
    NIcely done !

3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Wow thats seriously incredible work! Nice job!

4. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Sweet, nice job. :thumb 

5. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wow, that's awesome!

6. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    That is awesome! I always liked ML Rampage's colors and they translate very well to this alt. Great addition to the line!

iDD

7. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Banned

:eek: 

I have wanted to see this kitbash done for soo long... That looks incredible! Wow, just wow. Would you ever think of selling it? I'm being serious here, I WANT THAT!

Excellent job, especially since it's your first kitbash! :thumb 

8. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oh wow that looks slick :thumb 

Nice work

9. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

Very nicely done. Your results are great. :) 

10. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    A good idea, skillfully executed. I always liked the concept behind ML Rampage.

11. gunman_sr5

gunman_sr5 Energon Station Comander

News Credits:
    As I said at Transtopia. I mistaken him for the original Armada one at first glance. Great work on this one. I also added a note on how to enter the contest over there to.

12. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Amazing!

13. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Everyone is right, that is amazing work man! I'm glad to see the idea complete in Alternators form.

An idea is one thing, but to complete it is another.

I'm glad I went the route of Armada Wheeljack, that way our customs are at least somewhat different.

I started mine along time ago, and gave up due to several setbacks in working with white and yellow paint. After completing Hotshot, I have finally mastered working with a lighter color and have restarted Wheeljack. Mine is actually 75% complete...so everyone will be able to see two different takes on the character.

You did some stuff with yours that I really like, that I did not do with mine. In particular the yellow behind the head. It really makes the head stand out.

You did an excellent job in making the Meister head work. I went with a Sideswipe head myself. I know a lot more people prefer the Meister head though...and even I might after seeing yours...

We each went with a different kind of slash through the Autobot symbol...yours closely resembling te ML, and mine the Armada "gold engine" slash...yours looks terrific I might add, and I never even considered not cutting through the plastic the whole way...hahaha

Well, I guess now isn't the time to go through all the differences...now i the time to celebrate your first kitbash to be completed. I applaud you for joining me in making the Armada/ML characters! and I also applaud you on an outstanding custom that anyone would want in their collection. Hell, I wish I could just send you my Hotshot so we could recreate the Armada episode 'PAST" right now...that way I don't have to wait to finish mine.

Are you going to do another Armada character next?

Stay tuned for mine...

14. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    You did so good, that when I first looked at the pic, I thought I was looking at ML Rampage. It wasn't until I scrolled down and saw the pic of your bash next to the real ML Rampage that I realized you painted a Prowl up as him.

Great job man. Fooled me at first glance.

15. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    wow. I have to say that for a first time custom, you kicked a lot of ass! My first custom didn't look that good. I'm almost done with my second, and I think it compares, but still isnt' quite that good so yeah good job!

16. Darkprime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for the kind words. I think I know what region you live in so maybe one of my next drives to NY from VA I can stop by and I can bring the guy along. I had a feeling you would be creating more of the armada version of the character than the ML one. I know there are many ways to take the details and I look forward to seeing yours soon. I also did have a lot of trouble with painting parts white and yellow but i think next time it would be easier to do since I learned some important lessons (primer is almost a must for lighter colors on darker colors).

The reason I chose to use the meister head is two-fold. One is because I had two repro'ed heads to use. The other is I felt his features (minus visor) more closely matched the original, especially since I could carve the horns out of it.

17. Darkprime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As for another armada kitbash, the ideas I have are sideswipe with the smokescreen mold, thrust with the windcharger mold, and nemesis prime with alt prime but modified with the transformation others have made recently where his chest and shoulders are way different.

18. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I am amazed. I, too, was scrolling down through the page and just thought I was looking at a ML Rampage. You've done an excellent job, man! Great work!

19. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Make sure you enter it over at TFMaster.com under Best Repaint for the Kitbash of the Year contest...it really does look cool.

Yours truly is spot on! and for your first custom...again...thats amazing.

I'm finishing up this Wheeljack...and I was also going to do a Side Swipe from Smokescreen...I was going to model him after my Armada Hotshot custom...to show how Side Swipe wanted to be like Hotshot. (Same alternate mode)

But...if your doing one, I might just scrap the idea in favor of Megatron.

The Thrust from Windcharger does sound interesting too...I completely forgot about Thrust!

20. Darkprime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why couldn't we get this instead of Alt. Camshaft?