alternators mirage

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by KA, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Orion P

Orion P Cybertronian P.I.M.P.

god i want that mirage :( 

2. JetBrawn

JetBrawn Intergalactic SUV

Mirage is like everyone has mentioned -

coolest looking Alt/BT so far -

For the downside: The white stripes are scratched pretty easy

on my particular model, the chrome wheels are horrendously scraped up

and the whole chest/back pack are incredibly floppy

Still, a great TF

3. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    mmk so i found him today and he's really good. The only thing is that mine has the glued chest panel problem. I realized what was happening before it broke, so what can i do to break the glue's hold without breaking the panel?

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Finally, FINALLY, got a Mirage today, thanks to Wal-Mart.com.

I'm glad I took a step back before writing anything here, as I was very close to writing a scathing review. My particular Mirage had some minor glue issues with one of the running-boards that fold into the torso, and one of the seats, but I was able to break them free without breaking the toy. It looks good in both modes, and the transformation is complex but not painfully frustrating like a few Alts. I'll just go on record here to state my belief that the robot chest is an unequivocably TERRIBLE design. One can either leave the car 'hood' flailing free on the chest or try the horribly unstable balancing act of building the trapezoid out of chest panels. I understand how it's supposed to be done, but it's still far too inadequately designed in this area to work well at all. It was almost a total deal-breaker for me until I settled on option 3 - clamp the hood to the chest with the running boards. This looks OK to me (better in one or two ways) and is roughly fifty-thousand times more stable than the 'correct' method. Once that general source of rage was sorted out, I started to appreciate Mirage more for what it is. I think it's a generally decent Alt, but I also think the "best Alternator EVAR!" people are exaggerating a mite.

Overall: pretty nice, but the best Alt (evar) in my opinion is still Meister.

5. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I gave up on the hunt and got a Mirage from ebay. He arrived yesterday. He's easily my favorite now with Grimlock 2nd and Meister 3rd. Mine is in excellent condition. No issues with it whatsoever. He looks great in both modes. I hope we get HotRod.

6. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this floppy chest dealie really bugs.

first, cyb metroplex.

then, alt prime.

now, alt mirage.

*cue dare to be stupid intro*

7. Vader

Vader Well-Known Member

Alt Mirage is one of my favorite. I saw one on Walmart.com but was unable to order it because they don't ship to Canada :cry 

8. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    I agree, the floppy chest and slightly impaired arms are a bummer. However:

The vehicle mode is BEAUTIFUL (one of the very, very few Alternators I own where I was hesitant to transform him for the first time, because I wouldn't get to look at the alt mode anymore). The Ford GT is, by far, the most amazing automobile so far to be made into an alt, and as far as vehicle modes go, it will be extraordinarily difficult to top.

The robot mode is everything I wanted; great proportions, great articulation (save for some the shoulders), great colors (the blue is different enough to stand out from Smokescreen/Tracks/Skids, but not dark enough to be mistaken for Nemesis Prime), great head sculpt, great weapons, everything blows me away. Definitely in my top 3 Alts (and that's not just "new toy syndrome" talking), accompanied by Alt-Shockwave and Alt-Skids (whom I recently also just acquired).

Best of all, the transformation and visual aesthetic are both unique, and in an outstanding way; one of the things that still bugs me a bit about Skids is that he has the car-front-chest, window-wings look that's been done to death (in the Subarus, Jeeps, Mustangs, Mazdas, etcetc).

This line's come a very long way in the past couple years; Alt-Mirage is proof of that. I can only hope that all future Alternators/BTs are as innovative, creative, and pleasing to look at in all modes as this guy is.

9. King Starscream

King Starscream <b><font color=blue>The Royal Seeker</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    I finally found this guy. I lucked out when I just decided to the Target nearby where I work. Found him and a Titanium Thundercracker and promptly snatched 'em both. Out of all the Alts, Mirage's vehicle mode truly looks like a real scale model car. You barely see any kibble unlike most alts where you can see feet through the rear windows. The Transformation is a bit frustration, but nowhere near Optimus Prime and Grimlock levels. Finally nice to have an Alternator that doesn't have stuff pop off in mid-transformation. The robot mode is beautiful and I like the creativity behind the design of the legs. As far as the head goes, to me, it looks like cartoon Mirage's head with antennae added. Aside from the issues with the chest, I don't get that fear of something popping off that I normally do when I mess with my oher Alternators (damn you Prime). And he's one of the most poseable Alts to be released in a while.

10. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I'm love'em him also. He's a great figure and now I'm really tempted to get Hot Rod. Like everyone else my only complaint is his floppy chest.

11. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

The knees on mine are a little looser than I'd like. I can deal with it, but does anyone know if there's a way to tighten em?

12. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    Zombie thread? :D 

I never saw Mirage at retail, but I've finally acquired one over the net. This was the only Alternators mold I didn't have at least one version of. Now if I can just get Rodimus, Swerve and Wheeljack, I'll be all set.

I'll have to work on a more detailed review soon, but has anyone noticed that TFU Sunstreaker's legs transform in a manner very similar to Alt. Mirage? Looks like Alternators has had some effect on the other lines. :) 

13. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    oh yeah, people wouldnt stop talkin' about it when U SS was still unreleased.

14. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

What puzzled me was when people mentioned it as if it was a bad thing. I couldn't understand what the problem was as long as the legs worked. And they do.

15. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

I really like the legs on Universe Sunstreaker-I look at them as an homage to Alt Mirage and the toy actually feels a lot like a mini-alt in itself, which makes me all warm and happy. And it's a very solid leg transformation scheme in itself, so no suprise it's seen another outing.

As far Mirage himself? He's my favourate alt overall.