Minor/Repaint: Alternators Ironhide

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by TCracker, Dec 16, 2011.

1. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    First of all, this is 100% hand painted. There is some caking and blobbing going on due to my fault in the sanding and priming part (long story). With that, I expect loads of criticisms. :D  But hey, that is what it is, I dont have an airbrush.

Other than that he is a straight up repaint. I used gold foil stickers for the lining at the camera is not capturing it right. Should have went for yellow instead....oh well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. shadeozero

shadeozero Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    NIce job dont even notice any paint globbing, I personally think hand painting is better then spray adds that extra touch

3. vrba79

vrba79 Well-Known Member

Making Ironhide into on those hideous "box" cars is a disservice.

4. tobuttica

tobuttica Well-Known Member

As opposed to being a piece of crap van in G1. Way to troll his thread. Great job man, on an excellent Alternators mold. I'm working on a character with that mold as well. Looks good!

5. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This, why does this pour guy get so much crap lately? Tcracker, it logs great for not having an airbrush bud, :thumb 

6. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    ? I see no connection of your comment to the custom work here. Appreciate you keep it relevant and comment the work at hand. Thanks.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. Perhaps I need to get an airbrush at one point. :thumb 

7. jazz89

jazz89 i'm rockin' moon base 1.

:thumbs2: looks great man. i love the shade of red chosen. really makes him pop.

8. slackerforhire

slackerforhire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like it, TCracker! I'm more of an old fashion paint and brush guy (though, I'm getting a bit more comfortable with spray paint), and for whatever reason, I can never get my red paint to come out smooth (part of why I started working with spray paint).

Anyway, I think maybe you're being too critical of the added texture. It's really just where he's painted over some old battle damage, right? ;)  I also think the gold stripe looks fine. Why can't Ironhide have a bit of pop to his color scheme? I also like the use of his classics version's weapon. It looks a lot better on a larger figure.

All in all, good job, sir!

9. mr_soundwave

mr_soundwave operation: tidalwave

I really like the gold stripes, glad they arent yellow actually! More alt love, keep it coming guys! :) 

10. grandizerGo

grandizerGo Predaking

News Credits:
    this mold was made for ironhide and ratchet..

11. meisterworks

meisterworks Well-Known Member

artistic strokes. the bumper grills can be segregate with a black marker.

12. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Mice job. I really like it.

13. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd like to see a lil more detail on the legs (just my taste, or opinion)

I like the shade of red you used here....not too bright...just right for ol' Ironhide. And as far as using the xB, I see nothing wrong with that....I think it works great for him.

As for the paintwork, you already know why it turned out that way, so no need to comment on it, but, look at it this way: I don't think Ironhide would have some pristine paint job anyways.

So win/win in my book.

14. zodconvoy

zodconvoy Well-Known Member

I really like it. The only thing missing is a pic of him punching another Autobot!

15. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I do agree that IN PRINCIPAL it feels wrong making a Scion into Ironhide. Once you've seen one, it's hard to imagine there being anything macho about them. :) 

On the other hand this is one of my favourite Alt molds, and it actually looks damn good in red. :thumb 

zmog

16. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    Love it!!!:) 

17. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Thanks, how I wish the surface was smoother...:p 

Thanks! I still marvel at your Skyhammer repaint, top notch stuff there! :thumb 

Thanks! :D 

Got that right, I am now hunting for another BT/Alt Skids mold to do Ratcher, them my Alt/BT Autobot wish list will be complete :D  :D 

Yup, gonna get a black gundam marker to do that.

Thanks for the feedback, Eric, much appreciated! Maybe I will add detailing when I do a Ratchet next. :thumb 

:lol  :lol  :lol 

I never really seen a Scion in real life, but they kinda looked cool to me and they fit into the boxy aesthetic I was looking for to make the van brothers.

18. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Heh... yeah, they look like vans. If you ever see a real one, that will be a shock. They're actually more like hatchbacks. They're like a minivan shrunk down to the size of a compact. It's pretty weird. Makes it a perfect mold for Skids, who everybody thought was a van, but it turns out he was also a tiny compact in reality.

EDIT: here's a picture I found of some dude standing next to his Scion Xb
    http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/4191/3789/22976894001_large.jpg

zmog

19. cfngrodimus

cfngrodimus Member

Neat and clean, but definitely Ironhide :thumbs2: 

20. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Interesting: the same idea was communicated, yet the difference in the manner of communication makes all the difference. Personally, I agree that the alt mode Scion xB doesn't really suit Ironhide, but nor does a van, really. I have always found it interesting how the robot mode does suit Ironhide and Ratchet (I mean, seriously? A Scion xB ambulance? Really? :lol ).

However, that discussion aside, I think this is some great work. The brush work is barely noticeable (in one of the close-ups in "Cool Stuff", I could tell it a little on one of the doors), and very well done. If anyone does brush work for their customs, you would know of how difficult achieving this can be. The shade of red and the gold striping (I like the off-centered striping!) are all very good choices. :thumb