Minor/Repaint: Alternators Ironhide--with lights!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by StarFire_MK2, Jul 27, 2008.

1. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I started this almost a year ago, and finally got around to finishing it this week. Lots of people have made great Ironhide’s out of Alt Prime, so I thought I’d add LED’s to mine to make it a little unique. Ironhide now has 4 headlights! I was going to add tail-lights, but I really wanted to get him done, so for now, only the front works. I may add the tail-lights later. I also moved the seats off the arms and extended the legs, as per some of the great tutorials around her.

He’s powered by 6 watch batteries, stored under the front bumpers/shoulders, and I installed a toggle switch in the dash to turn them on/off. I may tweak it a little, as the white LED’s draw a lot of power and thus the batteries dies pretty quick, but I think he’s ready for viewing! The head was made by valkfan, and some of the labels are from Replabel’s Alt Prime kit. The gun is from an Armored Core kit. Enjoy!

I’ll post better Alt mode pics in the morning, but I wanted to show you guys how the LED’s look at night…I’m pretty happy with this!

EDIT: Added more Alt modes pics and the following link.

Attached Files:

2. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    I love it!

3. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    That's perfect !

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    You've pwned me at least. I'm currently working on an Alt Ironhide myself. I've opted to not paint the Ram shell and am just painting some of the robot parts. I mainly wanted to give the leg mod a whirl before I start on another Ram project.

I'll say this again when I get around to being able to post my work: the Ironhide head from valkfan ROCKS.

All of that jibber jabber aside, you're REALLY made a fantastic piece. I'm not a fan of the reprolabels set (sorry guys), but you've made the robot look simply FANTASTIC. The headlights are icing on the awesome cake man. Great work :thumb 

5. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Wow....that is gorgeous! I love the color.....and the lights are trick too :thumb 

6. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Perfection !!!!!

7. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Lights=Win!!!

8. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    SWEETNESS!! The 'ol man looks factory fresh! I do have a suggestion, not to get too scientific.

You have 4 leds, each consume roughly 3 volts each. Thats 12 volts, assuming they're wired in series. You have 6 watch batteries, each producing 1.5 volts, for a total of 6 volts. It will power up the leds for a while, but the leds will drain your power supply real fast. I have used (and still do) a battery by Duracell, size MN27. It is 12 volts and smaller than 6 watch batteries for sure. They are used for remote garage door openers and you can find them hanging near the checkouts at Home Depot. They cost less than 2 bucks each. The are about 1.5 inches long and maybe 1/4 inch in diameter. I have stuck them in deluxe sized figures with no problem, so it might give you some lifespan.

All that aside, GREAT job!!:thumbs2: 

9. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Great great work there man. I love the colors and the lights. I used to do light work on those tiny RC cars called Bit Charge Cars from Japan (about 2.4 inches long) and I know how hard it can be to get lights to fit and look good at the same time.

10. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Updated the first post with more alt mode pics and a tech spec.

Great idea, big hank, but those batteries are too long for the space--I already looked into them (great minds and all that). Originally, I was going to mount the batteries in the flatbed, which would have given be oodles of space, but I could never find a way to do it which worked. I ended up having to use the bumpers to store them (which complicated my wiring since it meant 2 set of batteries had to be connected via the dash switch).

I do indeed have power issues, although I used 1mm yellows, which only draw 1.65v. The blue-whites are the energy hogs, although I have found some 3v watch batteries I'll be trying soon :)  I'll keep you updated.

Thanks for the compliments, guys. After I'm done a Thundercracker commission I'm working on, I'm going to try and wire up my Alt Prowl ko (I wish they made 1mm blue LEDS!).

11. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Nice clean paint work. Dig the lights.

Good stuff!