Alternators - Durability?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Lo Streat, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Lo Streat

Lo Streat Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    [My] Ricochet's right arm and Alternators Mirage passenger side leg [broke]. Are alternators notorious for breaking?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2012
  2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Not from my experience. However, they're not the kinds of figures that are designed for excessive play either.

3. Lo Streat

Ebay:
    My Mirage and Ricochet broke on their first transformations. I figure Mirage may have suffered from GPS seeing as how hes kind of a metallic blue.

4. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Mirage has no gold parts, which is what "GPS" refers to: Gold Plastic Syndrome - Transformers Wiki

Alt Swerve has some gold plastic parts.

As for what's happened to yours, I'm uncertain. Alts have to be handled carefully, as I said earlier.

5. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    My ALT Swerve seems to have an issue with the red plastic being rather brittle for whatever reason.

6. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Could have been that these things were too tight to begin with, causing them to break later on after being handled. The only issue I can recall, qc wise, was the drivers door on Alt Rodimus breaking off at the pin....and that was on a few of them.

As for the Mirage leg, you talking about the [upper] white part of the leg, or the [lower] "car" part of the leg?...and on Rico, the upper part of the arm? [has the wheel attached to it] or the lower white part?

7. Lo Streat

Ebay:
    The toys most likely to suffer from Gold Plastic Syndrome are those with gold or bronze plastics with a metallic swirl in the plastic. There are other known cases with different colours of plastic—though usually there is a tell-tale swirl.

Seems my Mirage has Swirls in his paint job and basically its his Knee the light and license plate part that swivels. The point where it connects near the little reflector on the rear quarter panel.

Ricochet however was on black plastic he broke at his elbow joint the black plastic around his elbow pin just pretty much crumbled.

The problem with both was that no real force was applied to either of em. Right before Ricochet broke i transformed Sunstreaker with no problem.

8. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Since this thread has turned into a discussion of toys, it's been copied to Toy Discussion.

9. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

i think the alternators are actually quite durable, most of the plastic except the shells are pretty thick and solid, like some one said the parts were probably screwed together too tight and cracked from the inside.

10. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    4 years later...
    I got out my Alternators, all 27 of them, this past week. Here were the issues I found:
    Swerve's hands just fell apart. GPS at its worst. Also, the red tabs that hold the doors in place snapped off. He's staying in his box from now on.
    Rodimus' door came off a while ago, and was a noted defect.
    Skids had his front seat come loose, and the thin plastic that holds the hood in place in car mode and the black shoulder tabs in robot mode broke.
    Everything else seemed fine.

11. poisoncow

poisoncow ....

All I can thing of when I see or hear Alternators is how much I hate WalMart.

12. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus TFW2005 Supporter

My impression (and YMMV) is that they are not meant for excessive play (as already mentioned) but they're quite durable too. Yeah, that sounds dumb but they are kind of durable and fragile. I haven't had any breakage and I've own my Alts and BTs since day one. Marvelous figures that have really survived the test of time. (knock on wood.)

13. signals3

signals3 Frightfully Important

News Credits:
    I haven't had any issues either, and by happenstance I just transformed Swerve a few days ago....fit as a fiddle.....perhaps it's environmental?

14. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Quite possibly. My favorites get transformed occasionally (and are still on displayall these years later). I haven't had any issues so far.

In fairness though, while I have some alt's (including Mirage and Jaguar Ravage), my collection is almost exclusively BT when both versions of a character were produced.

Of course it's been more than a year since last time I transformed most of them (last time we moved). I hope there are no unpleasant surprises waiting.

15. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Moderator

News Credits:
    My Mirage, and Meister are perfectly fine...although I think the whites on those figures have yellowed slightly....hmmm
    I just bought Jaguar Ravage a couple weeks ago...kinda shocked I never got this when it came out....VERY cool Alternator...
    I also have a Prime and Nemesis that are still MISB...I just look at them...

16. xdmisato

xdmisato Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well, aside from paint chipping and chrome fading, my Alternators/Binaltechs are still intact. Even the rubber tires are still in good condition.

17. lordcryotek

lordcryotek “My memory’s a bit… what’s the word… dishes.”

Before I sold mine off about 5 years ago, I noticed some rubber degradation on the tires and while I had Alternators, anyone with a Binaltech will tell you the chrome is likely to chip if you look at them funny.

18. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Yeah, Swerve is a scary figure with that GPS stuff....

It's typically just the hood bonnet on Meister for whatever reason that yellows easily.

I've only got a few issues with my collection. I really hate that BT Bluestreak fades as much as he typically does.

19. aey103

aey103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Only issue I have had was side rear view mirrors breaking off. That said I rarely tranform them and keep them displayed in bot mode on my shelf.

20. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

Confirmed with Swerve. Bought an MISB Swerve years ago. Open it up maybe 3-4 years after. Same deal but only with the weapon. Crumbled inside the close baggie.

Yup. Reported the same thing with mine a few years ago.

Still not sure what it is exactly since my Alternators/Binaltech have been stuck in aquarium display.

The aquarium has UV protection lining. My entire collection is in a climate controlled room. No sun can get in either.