Minor/Repaint: Alternators Downshift

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Superquad7, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hey guys, I haven't posted a piece in a while, and while most of this isn't my work (Sureshot from TFans gets the credit for that; view his work here as well as viewing the original in my Photobucket gallery [click my sig]), I did make the head mod and character change to it. REDLINE knows that I'm WAAAAAAaaaay behind on shooting photos, but I did take some quick snapshots of this guy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

. . . and the close-up of the head:

[​IMG]

For the head, I took an Alt Grimmy head (obviously), shaved off the "goatee", painted the faceplate silver, and removed the blue paint from the visor.

Also, I did want to emulate the G1 Autobot symbol on his leg, but when I was labeling him, I didn't like it on the leg, so I was a bit more creative with the placement.

I'll have a gallery eventually (as I have other galleries to shoot before this guy), but for now enjoy these photos!

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    The use of Grimlock for Downshift is sooo effective and yet such a easy-to-execute idea. Great work, dude! That's a real spot-on duplicate of him.

Downshift was my favorite of the omnibots. Good to see that somebody else liked him. :) 

3. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Cool work. I still need to finish a piece or three...

4. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    You were right SQ7...the head did come out nice.....and that was originally a Swerve wasn't it?.....:banghead: 

BTW, the red RX standing next to Downshift....is that an "up and coming" custom?...or BT "Zoom-Zoom"...

Non-the-less...nice mods to the custom :thumb 

Now, quit stallin' and get us some more pics! :D 

5. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Thanks for the props, Ops_ (ut oh, Wheelie alert there!). Sureshot did an EXCELLENT job on the white on the 'vette (for those of you who don't know, white is a KILLER to paint). I've had this idea for some time, but it's just been shelved with other ideas (pun intended).

As a kid, I never had the Omnibots, but I always enjoyed the mail-in catalogs that I got with my other TFs. When I got back into TFs in 1999, they were actually among the top on my list to acquire. When I went to Botcon in 2001, I was able to get all 3 complete w/ instructions and weapons (still on the sprues) for $30 :D 

Ever since we got BT Overdrive, I've wanted the 3 Omnibots in some form for this line. Two down, one to go (I'll be making a custom Camshaft; I'm using my Hasbro Camshaft for other purposes :D  )

Sureshot used an Alt Swerve as a base, yes :) 

The red RX-8 standing next to him is in fact BT Meister red (who I simply named "Zoom")

Thanks for the props guys! I'm just trying to get back into things since my school hiatus is over for the bit :) 

6. Thundercracker

Thundercracker Contemptuous

That's some damn fine work there!

7. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    pictures!

8. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Snapshots'll have to do for now . . .

(and I'm WAY behind on those galleries of my customs, as if you didn't know . . . )

9. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    That's a cool kitbash idea. I always liked the omnibots--they were some of my favs as a kid--and you've pulled off the feel of Downshift very well. Kudos! More pics!! :lolol 

10. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I was hoping for a green and black repaint of Wheeljack, but this is nice too ;) 

11. Superquad7

News Credits:
    When I posted my work on another board, someone asked me about photos of the alt mode. While I haven't taken any photographs myself of the alt mode, this photo is from Sureshot's site (of which I cited in my original post) that I included in Downshift's gallery:

[​IMG]

Sureshot did a really nice job on the paint apps (major props there, esp. since it's white paint). :thumb 

Also, when I shoot a gallery of this guy, I'll be sure to include photos of the attack mode that can be achieved simply by opening up the doors gull wing style and detaching/swiveling the car sides and missles from the alt mode transform :D 

Enjoy!

12. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Yeah, white can be a bitch to work with sometimes. That's a nice shot. I think the grill and emblem need detailing; it would really add to the authenticity of the alt mode. Sweet work though.

13. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    Nice job SD, I remember reading those mail in catalogues when I was a kid too. I was fortunate enough to get Overdrive, Camshaft and that ugly Powerdasher (I think it was). I wish I had your Alternators collection!

14. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'll be adding those details later :thumb  I made the major modification and placed him on the shelf (literally) for the time being. I'll come back to him and fine tune him :) 

Heh heh, who's "SD"? :poke 

I've ALWAYS been a fan of the graphic design work of Hasbro with the G1 series! One of my most fond memories was when I got my first TF (Thundercracker) and just looking at the box art, particularly the intergalatic battle scene. I soaked that in for what seemed like hours and those cataloges were no different (which is why I still have all of mine!)

In terms of Alt collections, while I'm VERY happy with mine, plowking pwns my sorry hide for Alts and customs!

15. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Nice, man. As always..good stuff.

16. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    Sorry bro I just woke up when I saw this thread LOL I meant SQ :banghead: 

17. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Sweet!

18. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Well I for one DO know how far behind you are, especially on 2D work.

:p 

So, when do we get vehicle mode photos?

19. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Me too ;) 

20. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    You do customs ?

JUST KIDDING !
    I think this is the first you've posted since my arrival not too long ago.
    I agree the white came out great, there must'a been a can of white primer to help out somewhere along the way - it can be tricky, especially white over red.
    The black missiles is a huge improvement to the figure overall, makes it look less plastic'y

Gee,.....aint the Alternators series just the best thing to happen to TF customizers - ever ? ......:cool: 

TTT

P.S. my inbox is empty.