Minor/Repaint: Alternators Detritus

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Superquad7, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hey guys, before I go any further, I gotta give some props to some fellow artists and board members: Bluavenger and Napjr. When I was generating ideas for repaints, this guy was one of them; both of these kitbashers did beat me to the punch though. Blu first posted his piece at TFans and Napjr later posted his here and TFans as well. While I had already committed to the idea, both of these really inspired me more.

I had a parts bot Rollbar and as many of you know, I just have this compassion for junker Alts. This guys rocker panels were completely melted off and I actually had to get about 3 different board members responding to my want ad to actually complete him because he didn't have a tailgate or a spare tire (to those of you who helped me complete this guy, thank you ALL very much!) or a head. I could have just as easily got a Rollbar at Wal*mart, but now this guy isn't in a parts tote. :) 

Also I felt that Detritus' profile really fit all of what I had to do to fix him up as well as being a good candidate for a custom :) 

So . . . this guy wasn't only a repaint, but a salvage job. The door hinges were melted (and there were no doors), so my major task was a bit of resculpting that area as well as fixing the rocker panels. I didn't want doors on this guy anyways, so that worked out in my favor. What I did was take some putty and superglue and sculpted over the hinges. I also just shaved and glued the rocker panels on. They can't move, but they don't need to really. I also had to find a pin for the windshield. After all of this, then I went in and added the paint apps.

Well, here he is:

alt mode:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Superquad7

News Credits:
    . . . and the robot mode (I took a few photos ^_^):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

3. nightboomfer

nightboomfer Señor Member

looks very good, one thing though- maybe you could cover the autobot symbol on his bumper with a license plate and put an autobot faction symbol on the other side of the little decepticon logo on his hood, because of his faction-switching

4. Superquad7

News Credits:
    The Aubobot symbol on his license plate is actually a label I made. Most of the time, I don't like faction symbols in alt mode (aside from things like license plates). This way in robot mode, he has both factions simultaneously. :) 

5. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Awesome!

6. KYQ

KYQ The MSG Man

I'm surprised I've not seen more of this idea being applied yet. It looks great, as it's evident by your great effort here, though perhaps you could give him extra weaponry (like a rocket launcher maybe) to distinguish him from Hound a bit more? Nice job otherwise :D !

7. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Thanks man! I really appreciate that! :D 

Yeah, I'm sure I'll at some point start surfing around for additional weapons for him, but I did the same for my hound as well hehe.

Thanks for the props man! :) 

8. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

Very nice! Are those the original Hound wheels? They look a bit beefier to me for some reason... :sly: 

9. Superquad7

News Credits:
    The base mold is Rollbar. Only the head is from Hound.

Thanks for the props man! I really appreciate it! :D 

10. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Once again, another slick job. I have nothing else to say but this -"You have really madzzz skillzzz!" :D 

11. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Nice paint job. Although I think it could use some scuffs and weathering, since he's supposed to be a Junkion if I remember correctly.

12. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    Oh man I LOVE this guy (not literally !).
    He sure matches his profile eh ?
    Right on man !....good on yah....I totally forgot about the Ehobby gang when it comes to new Alt. characters.....hmmm....:poke 

13. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    heck yeah dude. the alt mode is love. character aside, the colors match the way you modified the alt mode just right. looks very military. sweet!

14. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Thank you very much for your kind words; I REALLY appreciate those compliments! One of the main reasons I started to make customs nearly 3 years ago is that most of my life I was never happy with anything I did 3-dimensionally. I decided that I was determined to sharpen my skills. The only thing I ever was strong in was sculpting head busts (life size, not TFs, hehe). I always made good grades and everything, but I always wanted to improve. So that compliment means a lot :) 

You're right; he IS a Junkion. I actually thought about this as my original plan was to get some brown paint and splatter mud all over him. About midway through my project I decided against this as I like my Alternators to have some sort of cleanliness to them, even though this guy would actually have some weathering to him. I may decided to come back around, but I kinda doubt it. I like him as is now :) 

Yeah, I really tried to match this guy up (for the most part) to his e-hobby counterpart. Like I said in my initial post, I thought it was very ironic that I literally made this guy out of a junker Alt! I remember finishing him and chuckling a little thinking about that. :D 

He's not the only e-hobby character I've made though. I can't forget my Alternators Overcharge, though his resemblance to his e-hobby counterpart is in name only.

I'm glad you "love" this guy though :)  Don't worry, he probably won't be asking you out on a date (but you never know! :lol )

Thanks a lot for those compliments, buddy! He was actually a lighter brown before I added a gloss coat (for whatever reason the gloss acrylic darkened the flat tan). I was going for a military look, so in that regard, it seems I succeeded :) 

15. Angel Magnus

Angel Magnus Well-Known Member

I've been waiting for someone to do Chrome Silverstreak, Electrum Jazz, Tigertrack (aside from the BT KO), Crosscut (not a heap different from Broadblast admittedly), BTA Twincast, not to mention red Diaclone Sunstreaker, maybe Tailgate, more recently Black Rodimus and Howlback, and, yes, Detritus (although I imagined more of a sandy color), ever since I got my BT/TFC Guide book last year. Alts and eHobbys in the same book - seemed pretty obvious to me.

I've seen a partially complete Alt Road Rage, a lazy Black Tracks (head-swap with Ravage), a few police-oriented Vipers that could pass as Deep Cover and Clampdown Alts, an MP Sunstorm, but that's about it.

I don't suppose anyone intends to dull down their MP Megatron and change the leg panels to make Megaplex? Thought not.

16. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Often times, I draw my ideas from toys such as these (hence Overcharge and this Detritus, and technically speaking, my "anime" Bluestreak]. I love the favorites, but I also love giving the spotlight to characters that are otherwise often overlooked as well. I try to have a nice balance of this in my work :) 

While I've never shown mine, I swapped my Ravage head with a Tracks (back when Tracks was rare even!). As far as the others you mentioned, I've of course made Sunstorm as an Alt, and my first custom ever was based loosely on Deep Cover and Clampdown both (I actually considered each name for my character):

Hot Pursuit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[I've worked on a redesign of his (and the squad's) police deco so he looks a tad different right now as well as the labels still being a WIP].

17. Donocropolis

Donocropolis Well-Known Member

Very nice. I've actually been wanting to do a Detritus ever since I heard of the character, but have yet to come across a reasonably priced extra Hound to make one out of.

The only thing I would suggest to change is to paint his "robobeard" brown. If you look reeeeaaaaal close at the e-hobby toy, he actually has a brown goatee. That's how you know he's evil. Plus, there just aren't enough bearded transformers around these days.

Either way, though, excellent job.

18. Superquad7

News Credits:
    As I stated, the mold is a Rollbar, but the head is from the Metals Transform KO white Hound (again, thanks to my buddies for the parts hookups!). I got the parts bot Rollbar in a massive Alt trade with a friend of mine some months back. Instead of just junking him out, I decided to go on a quest to salvage the toy (see post #1 for more details). That effort alone really gave me a lot of gratification (and some mail besides bills for a change! :lol ) This custom is very representative of my work and my identity as a TransFan (for a while my user title was "Alt Junkion" to reflect what I was doing at the time making this guy!). The Detritus character really appealed to me as well, especially since he's a loose cannon (drifters and dopplegangers really appeal to me).

I actually saw the "goatee" on the original toy (gotta look close at them toy photos!) and really didn't like it (I'm not a fan of huge "beards" on TFs like Alpha-Trion and Scourge). I might end up just painting the small portion on his chin, I dunno. I'm still 75/25 on it. For now, it's time to move on :)  Thanks for your suggestion! I appreciate your comments as well as your constructive criticism :D 

19. manyoufactsure

manyoufactsure Maximal TFW2005 Supporter

I don't know much about the Detritus character but I have an idea from the other posts. As for the painting and bashing skills, yours, is always Top-notch, SQ7.

Are the mirrors on the fenders for a match to Detritus or for "real life" customizing? I'm only familar with them being on the windshield if a jeep doesn't have the doors, so that looks a little odd, to me.

This color (most of the pictures on my monitor) would actually work well for Swindle to match his G1 colors. (instead of yellow) You say this is a Junkion character so I would think some rust, or damage, would be required to complete this guy.

How many Alts do you have with all these customs, SQ7?

Great work, as always.

This just hit me while I was typing this. Since Ultra Magnus was, reassembled, and brought back to life, from the Junkions, wouldn't he be considered a Junkion, now? The Junkions should be required for all missions for their repair abilities.

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic.

20. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Looking good buddy :thumb 

I like how you mounted the mirrors on the fenders like that...never seen it done that way before....I likey :D