Minor/Repaint: Alternators Cliffjumper project WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SonRay, Jan 6, 2008.

1. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Please guys, Hijack all you want. :) 
    Since i am no scratchbuilding engineer and more of a repainter any possible ideas to make this mold look different from the other Subaru molds are welcome!

I like the idea of changing the doors, but where could they go and would it be easy as im not very good with this scratchbuilding sorta stuff?
    Adding the bodykit is the most extensive and the first kinda of thing that ive done like this...

2. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

I don't think folding the doors away would be easy... but I think it could be done.

Looking at the mold, the first thing that comes to mind for me is maybe replacing the hinge clip for the door with a ball joint (socket in the door)... which would allow the doors to rotate up, down and back, rather than just flapping open and shut. A double ball joint (a ball and socket at both connect points) might make it even more flexible.

I'm not positive, but I think you can buy packs of such ball joints for robot bashing at Hobbylink Japan. I think it's about $5 for a pack of a dozen (of varying sizes), though I'm not sure what the shipping is like.

JinSaotome spotlighted them in one of his recent threads. I've been thinking of getting some, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Ball joints are useful things to have. I've been scavenging Bionicle parts from the local thrift store toy bins, but those only come in one size, which is a little big for most TFs.

zmog

3. SonRay

SonRay Banned

hmm...sounds a bit too complicated for me. And i cant really afford to buy any new stuff so i was hoping for a solution that i could make without any extra money as my budget for this has run out.

I might have a couple of ball joints someplace....not sure how id stick em on or attach them to the doors though.

4. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Its not that hard Son Ray...I did that on the wip I showed you a pic of....I just didnt show you that pic....all it took for me was some Lego's and a couple of parts from Movie Swindle....and my wip now has a VDL kit on it.

5. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Could you possibly resend me the pic and a pic of what you did to the doors? It would be cool to see how your WIP looks now too.

I cant figure out how a ball joint on the door will work...the door would have to slide over it, so where could it attach to without blocking the door movement?

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    can you trim the door down where the ball would go?

7. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Nah no need, i kinda figured it out. I just dont think the left over balljoints i have will fit.

Im kinda dubious about adding more features to the project, as it has already taken longer than i expected and i just want it finished.

If it was a quick and easy mod id do it, like if there was some pics i could quickly look at or an example of how the mod looks once applied then maybe id be more convinced in spending the extra time to do it.

If Plowking can show me what it looks like and if it adds to the overall look of the toy (and if my balljoints are suitable) then i will consider it.

8. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    Patience can be the difference between a good kitbash and a piece of crap.

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Kick ass.

10. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Indeed, but its already gonna be awesome at this point, so adding more to it is merely an optional luxury. :p 

11. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Update:

Heres a rough, armless mock up of the almost finished product:
    [​IMG]

Most of the sanding and filing work has been done. The body kit fits together nicely in alt mode and ive added the spoiler as you can see.

This is my first head re-shape ive ever done too and im pretty pleased with how it looks.
    By his feet on the left hand side of the screen you can see an extra mod i added to the roof to give it a scoop like most rally cars have on their roofs to allow for better ventilation.

Hopefully i can get this in primer on Monday, and get all the paint work done by the end of next week.

(Sorry for the blurry photo)

12. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    Dang. :eek: 

13. SonRay

SonRay Banned

I take it you like it then?

Oh heres a close up of the head for people. Im a little worried that it doesnt look right. I mean i like it and all but it has more of a G1 cartoony look to it rather than an alt look to it. Still i dont think its too bad for my first ever attempt at something like this. I used someones cartoon tutorial on how to make a classics CJ head using the trailer and jet ski that came with it as my inspiration, and made his horns out of bits of the jet ski. :p 

[​IMG]

14. TENIME_art

TENIME_art Ethically Challenged

Ebay:
    I do like!! :thumb 

15. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Good good. Hopefully the paint work will look even better. I have a rough idea what i want, and i want to try and reincorporate his name into the custom graphics without it being too obvious.

Im also hoping to add a final touch before paint with a door mod, i just found some spare parts i can use i just have to try and make it all fit. It'll be worth it if i can pull it off though and will make the bot and alt modes look 10x better!

16. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

what did you use to mold the head into cliffjumper's? i want to do the same for some projects i have in mind.

17. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    Does the head actually fit into the chest cavity when transforming? That was the problem I had when I made my Robo-1

18. Orion P

Orion P Cybertronian P.I.M.P.

nice~ really feelin the head.

19. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Just Milliput and some model filler. Not really the right stuff to use i dont think but its all i got so i have to improvise.

It fits through the hood easily if thats what you mean? I havnt tried putting it in its position when in alt mode...guess id better go try that. I forgot all about it.

Thanks. That was my biggest worry so im glad people like it.

20. SonRay

SonRay Banned

Update: No new pics until he is finished. He is about 90% done so there isnt much point in taking photos. Hopefully tonight i'll have him back together, and tomorrow i can paint on the custom graphics and he'll be done. I cant afford to buy the decals i wanted so he'll have to go without them for a while.

Anyway he looks awesome none the less, i'll update as soon as i can.