alternators/BT line roundup?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by KA, Aug 2, 2006.

1. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    inspired by some thread in feedback.

whaddaya guys think so far now that were up to almost quarter of a hundred? heres my thoughts:

(i'm going by memory so excuse some chronological error.)

1-smokescreen: pretty well rounded for a 1st effort. subaru WRC cross branding helped in hyping up the product.
    2-sideswipe: turned out much better than preview pics with the wings turned up. still, problems with pelvis design.
    3-hound: very good despite some awkward design elements (small feet), introduce new gimmick: suspension.
    4-silverstreak: i really dug it despite being a repaint. great representation of the old school tricolor scheme. also, improvement in metallic finish.
    5-jazz: very good. looked initially similar to the subaru mold but was actually significantly different. just like the g1 toys.
    6-dead end: color scheme made a okayish mold better.
    7-grimlock: made fans go WTF? grimlock king not pony! still, a very good mold despite weird cushions for feet. had been the toughest sumbitch to Tf since the subaru mold. he had a sword!
    8-swindle: people were for the most part meh towards this guy.
    9-windcharger: okayish design but better in person. reviled for scanner gun/lack of drivetrain.
    10-tracks: very good design despite lotsa kibble. but had shoulder missiles.
    11-decepticharge: i skipped WC and bought this guy because i prefered the color scheme and deco, plus the yellow finish was nicer.
    12-ravage: another WTF? still, nice color scheme. 1st and only beast head. woof!
    13-swerve: ugly colors but ppl went gaga because of rarity. 1st mold to be repainted thrice.
    14-skids: a new vehicle type other than a car or a jeep. nice mold but ppl were dissapointed it wasnt ironhide. some ppl didnt like the car type. most hated the deco. very engaging TFmation.
    15-wheeljack: ppl were dissapointed it wasnt bludgeon but the racing stripes were well received.
    16-prowl: nice car mode. ppl thought prowl shouldve been a subaru. ppl initially thought the design looked a bit brickish. 1st alt to have nightstick.
    17-rollbar: another 3rd repaint?! i think the orange color is cool tho.
    18-ricochet: another 3rd repaint and WTF? they like them obscure japanese character repaint i guess over at hasbro repaint dept.
    19-shockblast: was very well received due to the character. especially with the gun hand.
    20-alt prime: alt mode well received. okayish bot design. but ppl were hoping for ironhide of trailbreaker. but hes prime.
    21-mirage: very nice bot mode and alt mode. some design issues with the chest panel. same as prime.
    22-nemesis prime: continues to elude dark convoy. bwahaha.
    23-camshaft: so far hearing complaint abt mold deformity.
    24-sunstreaker: another 3rd repaint but ppl were hoping this guy to come out anyway due to popular character.

i feel like i'm missing ONE guy...

2. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'll take a quick shot.

1- A good start, little overkill on the deco.
    2- a good second; matches the character well, good alternate transformation from the first.
    3- repaint #1, first instance of 'adjusted' name/character in the line, but it works.
    4- Hound is great match to the vehicle, and a spiffy new design and transform patter, but I just can't get terribly excited about him nowadays.
    5- tracks is great. perfect update of the G1, especially when possessing a flame sticker. Missiles ftw. But damn the legs are a pain to extend.
    6- Dead End- the first con; looks awesome, though he could have done with a new head.
    7- Meister- another awesome update of the G1. New mold, a few new tricks in the transform but not that different from the subaru. Excellent with the reprolabels.
    8- Swindle really brought out the joy of this mold. The bigger tires, grill, and new head made me love this mold so much more than Hound.
    9- big Grim- weird having a beasty-bot as a car now, but it works well enough. Perfect head, double barrelled gun and a sword- what more do you need? Oh yeah, a managable transformation of the arms...
    10- Windcharger- Tiny car, yet a fair size bot. I like this mold, despite the neutered weapon. Similar the viper, but still unique.
    11- Ravage- more beast -> car weirdness, but that aside the colors are pure hotness. Black, silver, and metallic red- gorgeous. (and a bit of BW homage to boot)
    12- Shocky! Another case of the redeco being better than the original (second, maybe third time for it being a con too) Not much to say except that he rules.
    13- Wheeljack- pretty WTF for the mold, but they got the head right so the rest kinda falls in place. Not like there were many sword-weilders running around anyway.
    14- Decepticharge- the winner for the WTF name award, again looking sharper than the first time we saw the mold. Not by such an amount as Swindle/Hound though, but the new head does some wonderful things. The lack of the weapon barrell is more prominent here though.
    15- Swerve- very wtf. 3rdpaints... not so cool. At least there's a new head, but the tan/red thing isn't doing much. Good enough as a Road Rage/Hot Rod kinda thing.
    16- Prowl- great new mold, though too prone to popping doors and arms. Which isn't all bad, since they're hard as hell to get in the right position to TF anyway. Still cool despite not being a subaru like his brothers.
    17- Skids- All this time later and we finally get another non-sports car. Pretty random character, but a good update.
    18- Sunny- bout time! A different mold would have been nice since he and his bro were different in G1.
    19- Rollbar- never even opened the guy, so all I can say is I like the mold, but hate the color.
    20- Ricochet- uh yeah, they fucked this one up pretty bad. Not too horrid in car mode, but... no.
    21- Prime- um... not so much. Damn takara killing what could have been a perfectly good Ironhide. Too small to be a real Prime, but I guess it'll do. Horribly under-articulated and kibbly-happy though.
    22- Mirage- Very hot. Great mold, great update. Head is a bit weird, double pistols are awesome.
    23- Camshaft- much better than I though, the colors really pop in bot mode.
    24- Nem Prime- hasn't arrived yet, but he looks pretty sexy. A more forgivable use of the mold.

3. JaviSRK

JaviSRK Push my button.

News Credits:
    I'm not going to make a list like you guys, but here we go.

Smokescreen is standing up to the test of time quite well. Great mold and design. Not so much for Ricochet and Silverstreak.
    Sideswipe is the ugliest alternator (Haven't seen Prime yet, should be getting him today) now. The Dead End/Sunstreaker remolds are much better.
    Damn Hasbro for not making more of Swerve and not making Nemesis Prime more widely available.
    Mirage is turning out to be a great new mold.

4. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Incorrect Alternators numbering will incur the Pyramid Head like wrath of some of the more expert members.......

:D 

5. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    Nope, you got all 24 of them. Your order was off, as you knew it would be, but you got them all. I'm not complaining about the off order, mind you. It is commendable you were able to get them all from memory. I probably would have left at least one out and I know I would ahve been way off in the order.

6. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i was thinking i was off by 1 since nemy is no. 24, so i thought camshaft is no. 25...

..what no. is camshaft?

7. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

camshaft is number 23.

8. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I actually really like Swindle. I like yellow jeeps so he was right up my alley. If I were to rebuy the alternators again I would have just gotten smokescreen, meister, hound, tracks, wheeljack, prowl, swindle, shockblast, and maybe dead end. But would have not purchased the others. Way too many remold/repaint but I understand why; I just don't like it.

The only thing I'd change in the line would be to have original mold decepticons. I know we're getting one with Rumble but I had hoped this would come earlier in the game.

9. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just highlights:

Smokescreen: This made the giant mistake of mirroring the original G1 design a little too closely, and setting up expectations in many that the rest of the line would be the same. A great design, aside from the pain-in-the-ass mushiness to get back to car mode.

Silverstreak & Ricochet: Both nice IMO. Ricochet is one of those "great in person" kinda things for me. The black color and red eyes make him look very "not a nice guy" for an Autobot.

Sideswipe: My least favorite alt overall.
    Dead End and Sunstreaker: mild improvement to a mediocre design.

Swindle: I liked him better than Hound, and Rollbar not at all.

Remold-Land: Oddly enough, I hate Grimlock, but love Wheeljack - Hate Windcharger, but love Decepticharge.

Meister: Much like if they took the Subaru mold and fixed most of the problems with it. My favorite Alt (that I have). Too bad Shockwave/blast's additions make it tougher to transform.

Tracks: Looks great, but has funky hip joints.
    Ravage: - would look great with Runabout's head.
    Swerve: - Meh.

Prowl: damn cool.

Skids: I like him, but his head's kinda small.

Optimus: Not terrible, but could be a lot better.
    Nemesis Prime: I ordered. Perhaps one day I'll own it.

Mirage: wanted.

10. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    1. Smokescreen: Being a WRX owner, I was on Cloud 9... Great mold and effort for being a first...

2. Sideswipe: Loved the convertible look... The chrome was nice... Wish his hips could turn...

3. Hound: Suspension!!! Was a little thrown off with the gun in the wheel case... I was under the impression that the engine/gun thing was gonna be a constant...

4. Silverstreak: Again, being an owner of a silver WRX, this couldn't have made me happier... Loved the remolded head and parts of the car/robot...

5. Tracks: The fact that it was a Corvette made it a must have... A true tribute to G1... Loved the shoulder missiles... Wished the legs were more poseable...

6. Dead End: Initial reaction was "WTF??? That's Sunstreaker!!!" But after a while, I LOVED the black and silver Viper look... And of course I hoped for a Sunstreaker down the line... But being the first Decepticon, I couldn't complain much... Love the head remold and bodywork to the car/robot as well...

7. Meister: Initial response was "WTF??? Why didn't they call him Jazz???" Love the RX-8 mold especially the ratcheting hips!!! What happened to that?!? Nice gimmick with the exhaust gun...

8. Swindle: Initial response was "That looks like Trailbreaker..." But by this time with Dead End out, I figured anything could happen in the line since people wanted more 'Cons... Love the bigger wheels, chrome front grill protector and head remold...

9. Grimlock: He kicked ass... The sword still gets my attention especially the way it's stored on the bottom of the car... Love the new transformation even though it gave me quite a few gray hairs...

10. Windcharger: I wish there was a place to store the top when in convertible mode and vice versa when the tops up... Gun without barrel was WRONG... Nice easy transformation... I do wish they went with Overdrive instead of Windcharger like they did with BT...

11. Shockwave: Pure awesome... I love the light piping in his eye and the translucent purple cannon... Love the head remold and bodywork as well...

12. Ravage: This one made my head spin... The cat head just did NOT do it for me... But after I bought it, I admit, I changed my mind... The cat head is still weird, but the metallic red on him is just AWESOME... I also love the remolded convertible look... I am glad to say that Ravage was the final ALT I have ever complained about... It made me keep my mind open...

13. Wheeljack: Wish he had green and orange/red stripes instead of the blue, but it kicks ass nonetheless... Love his head remold and bodywork...

14. Decepticharge: To me he still screams Drag Strip... Love the head remold, spoiler, and hardtop...

15. Swerve: I've always had the impression that Swerve was a truck like his Minispy G1 version, but the red Corvette is fitting for his name... Love the head remold... I wish all the other repaints we had did this as well but he was the last one...

16. Prowl: I honestly like this mold... The nightstick is awesome, the doors on the shoulders is a great look, and I love the police look on him...

17. Skids: This guy AMAZED me... He's such a cool figure... Now some hate the sparkle windows and the Scion logos, but I've seen a lot of xB owners put loud stuff on their cars and this just follows suit... I love the transformation...

18. Sunstreaker: Everyone's prayer is answered... And he certainly lives up to his name... A beautiful prepaint of Dead End...

19. Rollbar: Begin the attack of the straight up repaints!!! Honestly, I would've rather have seen a black version of him named Trailbreaker... Kinda like what they did with Dead End/Sunstreaker... But no, out comes Rollbar... A nice repaint... But that's pretty much it...

20. Ricochet: Huh??? Okay... Weird choice but it's a WRX so I can't complain... Nice tribute piece... Kinda wished the flames on the doors extended to the back doors... Like Rollbar, he's a nice repaint and that's pretty much it... But I do gotta thank Ricochet... If it wasn't for him, I don't think Razerwire would've been made...

21. Optimus Prime: Love the truck mode... Robot mode has a lot to be desired... I had to paint the two vents on his crotchplate black, as well as the weather striping on the rear window... Looks a lot better now...

22. Mirage: BEAUTIFUL... I do wish his chest was better designed instead of just doing a delicate balancing act to keep the black panels connected to his blue hood/chest plate... The two guns are awesome but the bigger one still looks a little weird with the barrel being on top like that... Kinda wish the two guns could combine...

23. Camshaft: I wouldn't have minded if he was called Bluestreak since so much of him screamed Bluestreak... Love the spoiler remold... But since they went with Camshaft instead, I wish they remolded the head... Other than that spoiler and taking off the police lights, there isn't much difference between him and Prowl...

24. Nemesis Prime: I'm just happy to HAVE the bastard... Nice straight up repaint... I REALLY hope they release Magnus with the blue Viper stripes and bed cover...

I'll do the BT/BT* line later...

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

with present ratings

1-smokescreen: Perfect intro. - 9
    2-sideswipe: Just seeing the red and the name Sideswipe made me happily retarded - 7
    3-hound: O F yeah Now we're talkin! - 8
    4-silverstreak: What?
    5-jazz: Ah, ok cool thought we were about to get slapped with repaints. Yay for Meister and his crappy hood - 7
    6-dead end: :rock  :rock  :rock  Im in looove!!! Alts forever! :heart , yay boner! - 10
    7-Grimlock: Man I need to write Hasbro a letter and let them know how cool they are, I can't believ this is happening. Brb, need help getting him back in car mode - 9
    8-swindle: Ah man here we go - 6
    9-windcharger: Haha aww! Hey, wtf is his gun?! - 5
    10-tracks: About time, the yellow BT seemed odd shoulder missleswiener grabber! - 9
    11-decepticharge: Compact & cool with a nice unique paint scheme. Would rather deceptipay tho - 7
    12-ravage: Cars drink milk now - 7
    13-swerve: "Let the repaints roll" - by Cars - 6
    14-skids: In your pants! - 8
    15-wheeljack: Too lazy to cooment -8 , 9 with repro
    16-prowl: Hey look, there's the head I need for my custom - by 100 people - 9
    17-rollbar: Ok, nice one Hasbro, haw haw very funny -5
    18-ricochet: Miami Vice villain, keylo joe -7
    19-shockblast: Hooray it's Shockwave! - 9
    20-alt prime: need, want. *grabs a snickers
    21-mirage: waiting for :mail 
    22-nemesis prime: Looks better in black - 9
    23-camshaft: I dunno, why don't you as Walmart's employees
    24-sunstreaker:Fav mold, and big fan of the G1 character so - 10

12. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Time for the BT/BT* side...

1. Smokescreen (#7 & #8): I still remember the first time I saw BT Smokescreen... I was floored... The diecast metal... The glossy paint job... Simply superb!!! Could've done without the two number/paint variations...

2. Lambor: When I saw this guy, I knew we were getting into something special with this line...

3. Streak: Honestly, I was hoping for a 2002 version of the silver WRX, but seeing that they were gonna go with the most current version of cars, I was happy to see it regardless...

4. Hound: A bit top heavy on this one... But the metallic flake in the paint is just awesome...

5. Dead End: For some reason, he just looks better for me in BT... The paint job is nothing short of amazing with this guy...

6. Tracks (Yellow & Blue): Yellow??? Huh??? Luckily they released the blue one as well... In all honesty, the yellow kicks ass as well...

7. Smokescreen GT (#1 & #2): SHOULDER CANNONS!!! The slight remolds done to the car body were awesome as well... But SHOULDER CANNONS!!! Again, could've done without the two number/paint variations but hey, if they didn't have the two, I wouldn't have two shoulder cannons to play with right now...

8. Meister (White & Red): Loved Meister although the paint's white didn't really match the plastic white... The red version is awesome...

9. Swindle: Pretty much the same as ALT Swindle... Would've liked it if he were Trailbreaker instead...

10. Grimlock: If you thought transforming ALT Grimlock was hard, try doing it without scratching paint off of the BT version...

11. Ravage: Not Jaguar!!! I could see why they had to change the name... Having a Corvette named Jaguar just wouldn't work... But if you liked the metallic paint on ALT Ravage, image that tenfold on the BT version...

12. Overdrive: Properly named... AND WITH BARREL!!! A definite double plus!!!

13. Laserwave: Pretty much the same as the ALT version plus diecast metal... Still lovely nonetheless...

14. Wheeljack: Again, like Grimlock, he is hard as hell to transform since you gotta be careful with the paint job...

15. Prowl (Police & Blue): Love the Kanji on him and the lack of baby blue like the ALT version has... Also has the Type R spoiler on both the police and blue version... I appreciate the fact that the car mode of the police Prowl has not Autobot markings... The blue version I have dubbed "Bluestreak" since he's, well, blue...

16. Skids: I don't have him yet, but I am SOOO looking forward to putting on the G1 stickers on him that he comes with... There's also the flame sticker option, but I think I'll use the G1...

17. Alert: Many people had issues with him... Mine was fine... And I love it... The guy looks pretty much EXACTLY like the WRX STI police cars in Japan... I like how Alert, Sunstreaker, and Broadblast come with drivers as well...

18. Sunstreaker: I definitely like the ALT version better... He just looks better with the two black Viper stripes...

19. Broadblast: Don't have him yet as well, but certainly looking forward to him... The colors on the pics for him are simply awesome...

13. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

Maybe I'll add a full list later as I have all the released Alts except Rollbar, Ricky, Nemesis Prime and Camshaft.

For now I will say that Mirage is near perfect. Sleek, well-put-together car mode, awesome transformation, very well proportioned and poseable bot mode. I found the headsculpt to be a very nice blend of the original toy and toon designs, and I love the way they paid homage to the F1 racer chest using the GT's hood. Ingenius. Probably the only thing that would make this one any better would be if the chest snapped into place. I've found a way to fold it all up pretty nicely, but it still swings freely.

14. JaviSRK

JaviSRK Push my button.

News Credits:
    I'm updating here... Alt Prime is disappointing, to say the least. Mine came with scuff marks on the paint, and of course the paint didn't match from one area to another. Although... I figured out Prime's transformation pretty easily.

15. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

For me this really is the Transformers line I’ve always wanted. Well articulated robots that turn into “real life” cars in 1:24 scale with self contained weapons. Come on how could you NOT like these guys!

1. Smokescreen: The inaugural Alternator is also one of my favorites, I remember staring at the prototype pics for long periods of time because it was so freaking cool! I kind of wished they were able to engineer the rocket launchers into the vehicle mode but heck the engineers did a great job in updating the classic character into a new shell.

2. Sideswipe: I was a little disappointed in the articulation (really restricted waist movement and non openeing truck), when I finally found him. He was a pain (at first) to find.

3. Hound: I’m really found of him because the G1 Hound was one of the first Transformers I ever played with. Cool weapon concealment and working suspension! Slap some reprolabels on this guy and I’m like a little kid again.

4. Silverstreak: This was a nice remold as they did just enough to make him different from Smokescreen and a nice nod to the G1 Datsun brothers era.

5. Tracks: Another great homage from the vehicle mode to robot mode. I’m still disappointed at the lower body articulation but he’s cool as he looks kind of samuraiish

6. Dead End: I loved the car mold as the black and silver just worked so well. Never understood why they didn’t go with Wildrider. Still this was a nice remold.

7. Meister: I love the headsculpt especially the eyes behind the visor look, Transforming him is so much fun because of the satisfying clikety clack of the ratchet joints. I like this mold so much I even bought the red Binaltech “Zoom Zoom” version.

8. Swindle: I wasn’t too miffed when I found out this guy was originally supposed to be Trailbreaker as the G1 Swindle was also a jeep. I like the bigger tires and the grill. It made him look more aggressive.

9. Grimlock: I love and hate this guy at the same time. He’s cool as I wasn’t expecting the Mustang to work so well as Grimlock. I liked how they were able to work the sword into the transformation.

10. Windcharger: I had to get a repro barrel because the “scanner” just looked crappy. The car mode looks a bit wimpy but he looks much better in robot mode.

11. Shockwave: Another great remold, the car just looks so evil with that grill. The light piping was a great idea along with the gun/arm

12. Ravage: I’m mixed on this one I love the Ravage character but it just looks so awkward on the Corvette mold

13. Wheeljack: Good remold, I like the car and if you were lucky enough to get a transrepro head plate, you get light piping too

14. Decepticharge: What the heck, they should’ve just went with DragStrip but otherwise a solid toy.

15. Swerve: I don’t care how rare or valuable this guy was, I could never warm up to this guy. His only saving grace is that his alt mode is a nice red Corvette

16. Prowl: This was cool, they actually gave him a nightstick. I was hoping for a Subura remold but this is still OK. He looks much better with the leg swap.

17. Skids: Not a big fan of the Scion vehicle and his ankles were a bit too weak to hold his bulk

18. Sunstreaker: AAH! I’ve been waiting for this bad boy for awhile. I put him next to Sideswipe as soon as I bought him

19. Rollbar: Pass because this could’ve been Trailbreaker, oh well

20. Ricochet: I bought him, transformed him looked at the white nose, then got rid of him

20A. Razerwire –SUCKS!!!

21. Optimus Prime: Sigh, this could’ve been OK for me but the fender pieces keep falling off.

22. Mirage: My favorite Alternator yet. A Ford GT!?! Heck yeah! A well articulated update of one of my favorite characters? Even better!

23. Camshaft: Pass

24. Nemesis Prime: A nice black Optimus Prime repaint, but what an ordering fiasco MEH why bother