Heavy/Scratch: Alternators Bludgeon: A Joint Effort

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by plowking, May 28, 2008.

1. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I always wanted a RED Subaru ever since I saw the K.O. Smokescreen Alt....I thought the car looked really well in that color...so I set out on a mission to make my own.

I looked over the potential list of Characters that already existed that I could make fit into my custom collection.....he just had to be a bad guy....had to be!!

I settled on Bludgeon....I was very excited to finally be making this custom...I had wanted to make a Bludgeon for a while. I contacted Nemesis Predaking and had him work up a digi for me, just so I could see if I was going in the right direction with color choices and what not, and he let me know that I was on the right track. The digi was perfect, and so the plan moved forward.

I started by taking an Alt Smokescreen as the base, and planned my "outside of the box" task list for this custom....he had to be more than just a red Subaru.....he had to be different....outside the box....I have always loved the Tuner Car scene, so that was my chosen base for this custom.

First, I wanted a body kit for it.....Tuner Style....I didn't want to just buy one, so thanks to ShawnL7 I had my first experience with Styrene. He convinced me to try it out, he had used it on his very impressive Alt re-shells, and customs, and showed me how easy it was to use.....so the body kit was made totally from scratch, using sheet Styrene, and Styrene square tubing using nothing but pictures as a reference to go by.....thanks for those pictures Gen. Magnus.....big props to you and ShawnL7

But, the body kit wasn't enough for me, I needed more.....for one, rims....I needed big Tuner rims....I searched and ended up finding some that I thought suited the Tuner, and Bludgeon theme I was going for.....thanks to Dec0y13 for the rims.....but....the rims still weren't enough.

I contacted Sculpt-bot and commissioned him to make me a Bludgeon head (Alt sized) for my custom....he had just made one for VolrathWMV's custom Bludgeon he had made, and it came out flawlessly...it was a must have for me, and as usual, Sculpt-bot came through for me...thanks bud.

But...he was still missing something.....I added two more mods to the custom, something that I must say that I am very proud of......but I'll let the pictures tell you about those.....its kinda a surprise....an "outside the box" thing

Recently, I found myself losing interest in Alts as a whole...as most of you know, I recently got rid of my Alt Collection....and this piece went into the hands of REDLINE....he promised to finish it for me, and for the members to see...

This is how it looked in the last WIP pic I took of it....just before I added the rims:

[att]5233[/att]

I would like to thank all the people who helped in one way or another that got it up to this point: REDLINE, Nemesis Predaking, Superquad7, Dec0y13, Gen. Magnus, Delta/Reprolabels, ShawnL7, and Sculpt-bot. You guys all rock :thumb 

REDLINE will take it from here.....he's the man that finished this bad boy.

When Plowking told me that he was getting out of Alternators, and that he wouldn't be finishing this custom, I couldn't stand the thought of all the work he'd put into this thing being for naught. I didn't want to see the effort wasted, or for him to have regrets down the road at not having finished it. I admit I've also always wanted to do a Bludgeon custom, but that was merely icing on the cake. My whole intent was to finish what he started. With that in mind, I did consult heavily with him when it came to picking out paint aps and color choices for this.

What I did was I took the head, which he'd drilled a hole in the bottom of, and I expanded that hole out the back of the head so that he could have a full range of motion, instead of just rotation. I did offer suggestions for a few things, like a few different paint aps, or point out some ways to further drive home the homage towards the original toy (ex, painting the interior grey, so that the seats would look just like the large grey boxes on the side of the pretender shell from G1). I realize the original had Burgundy arms, but if I had done that, he would've looked entirely too plain, as he'd have really just been two shades of red all over. So, I thought I'd just make them orange, and Plowking agreed that painting the cut-out moldings of the forearms and shoulders would give it that layered look the original has, and still incorporate the burgundy color. I tried to also emulate the layered look of his armor at the waist area, as that part of the original shell is orange over grey over orange legs.

I love the Sculptbot head, as its, in my opinion, the perfect blend between the pretender's head and the robot mode head, so it doesn't look out of place. I made sure to try to capture all the details of the sculpt, including the optics down inside the eye sockets. I did try to detail it up, I had to use a shaven toothpick again in order to get the tiny worn-out teeth look correct on the face, and I also detailed the dash, gauges and all. When all the painting was finished, I applied all the reprolabels from the custom set that Plowking had ordered from Reprolabels in their correct locations, and then topped it off with a clearcoat, not just for protection, but that makes the stickers have the same sheen as the paint job so they better blend and look more like they're painted on. The clear-coat that I used for the car parts is Future Floor Finish. I wanted him to be super shiny, like he was freshly waxed, as it seems like all street tuners are immaculate like that. I even coated the chrome wheels, and the outsides of the tires so they look freshly polished and Armorall'd!

[att]7610[/att]

[att]7612[/att]

What kind of Bludgeon would he be without swords? he had to have swords. Sure, the original toy didn't have any, but it was clearly stated in his original Tech Specs that he was a master of Metalliko, and his shell was designed to look like a Samurai warrior, so swords were only natural. The swords were made from clear acrylic rod, tube styrene, heat-shrink rubber tubing, and the top of the hilts are a Lego piece. I decided that since he had two swords, he needed a place to store the rifle when he is using both of them. I realized doing like Razerwire did, and stashing them inside the rear of the feet was the perfect solution. I also wanted a place to sheath the swords in case he wanted to use his gun. The fit perfectly behind his head! Bingo.

[att]7657[/att]

See the holstered gun?
    [att]7677[/att]

[att]7678[/att]

[att]7681[/att]

[att]7682[/att]

As you can see, the doors on this bad boy were modded. This is one of the two "outside the box" mods that PK mentioned earlier.

[att]7613[/att]

Now, surely you noticed the micro wire coming out of the hilts of the swords, going towards his back?? If you didn't, then you can't miss it this time:

[att]7614[/att]

And if that wasn't good enough for you, I leave you with one final image. I hope that you guys have enjoyed this joint venture, but I have to admit that I'm just glad that I pulled off my goal, and got it to look just like Plowking had pictured it when he first started working on this project.

[att]7679[/att]

AVAILABLE FOR CUSTOMS COMMISSIONS - PM WITH INQUIRIES
    [att]7683[/att]
    Click the main banner to get more info on REDLINE, the custom character, and the kitbash!​

Attached Files:

2. plowking

News Credits:
    O.M.G!......REDLINE!! Thats exactly how I imagined it!!

Man you did a fantastic job on this. You made me proud man....Deffinetly top shelf work my friend :thumb 

You've truly outdone yourself on this one bud....:D 

3. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    I saw this idea from more or less the on set, from Digi to WIP.
    I feared when PK decided to sell his Alt's that this custom would wind up "dead"
    The amount of work that has been put into this by both PK & RL
    is incredible. Everything looks FLAWLESS. I'm happy to have had a very small part in the creation.
    The mods are insane, those ground effects/swords are PURE WIN,
    the decals set everything off so nicely without being over done.
    Truly a work of art from two "Heavy Hitters" (as PK would put it)
    That is one SEXY Alt !!!!

My hats off to the both of you !!!! :drool: 

BTW, this is & will be the ONLY time I ever refer to an Alt as SEXY

4. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Oh, that is nice. I love the swords and the wiring, the door mods are hot as well. Uber kick @$$ custom, Redline!!

5. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Blimey Charley. So much work put it, but it hasn't half paid off!
    But shouldn't the swords really glow blue? :inquisiti  :p 

6. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    WOAH...Seriously...WOAH
    Simply amazing all around...Alt mode looks SOOOOO natural, it would'a fooled me if I hadn't seen it on a TF site.

7. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Bit hard to make out the glowing on the swords/underside with all the ambient light, but otherwise, freakin' awesome.

8. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    Glad he's being so well recieved. :)  I really had a blast finishing this guy. Sso02V.. that's what the videos will be for ;) 

9. maximus_primal

maximus_primal Autobot

OMG!!! I'm speechless!!!

10. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

That worked really well.

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Wow, that's really turned out nice! Everything's turned out like I imagined it would. I love all of the mods on this piece and the paint apps are just slick as always :thumb 

GREAT work guys! :thumb 

12. dak

dak <b><font color=blue>I am DAK! The customizer!</fon

News Credits:
    sweet!

13. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

You two should team up more often. Wonder Radicon Twin Powers Activate! Form of, a dremel!! Shape of, a Can of Krlyon!!

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    :lol  That's hilarious!

15. Shinobitron

Shinobitron Cybertronian Ninja

Ebay:
    Dude thats awesome! I'm glad I'm not the only person who doesn't have a problem with Bludgeon 1) Having a skull for his face and 2) having red and orange on him, not "maroon and orange".

Make me wish I could get my Bludgeon back to take abetter photo shoot of :( 

16. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    hehe I did put small amounts of burgundy on the arms and helmet, just not as much as you'd expect. Thanks for the compliments, guys! I have no problem with a skull, I just thought pretenders as a concept was beyond silly. But this nicely blended robot head and skull, that I think is wicked looking.

17. Delta Star

Delta Star <b>Reprolabels.com</b> TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    AAAHHH!!! That robot mode scared the crap outta me. Wasn't expecting it to actually look like Bludgeon :) 

OMG that's a nice custom. Congrats.

18. Paul Prime

Paul Prime Well-Known Member

What can I say? The images speak for themselves.

(Going to die of envy).

19. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    This is the funniest thing I've read all day, Classic.

20. plowking

News Credits:
    :lol 

:lol 

Thanks for all the props guys....I am just as blown away and pleased as the rest of you all.

REDLINE did a fine job of bringing my WIP to life.