Minor/Repaint: Alternators/Binal Tech Hot Shot (Armada Style) wip

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Superquad7, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hey guys, I have to say that this thread feels a bit odd for me due to a couple of reasons:

• You guys know I've really been out of the loop in terms of making customs and
    • I don't post "wip" style threads (for a number of different reasons)

One of the main reasons I am posting this thread is to give a really dear friend of mine some props for his work that inspires this project. Many of your remember a couple of years ago when Squall42080 made his "Armada" Alternators. He even won the Transtopia Kitbash of the Year contest with his Alt Armada Megatron. Customs like this and his contribution to the customs community are some of the reasons we featured him as one of our Radicons of the Month (go by and check out his article! It's a great read!).

All that being said, Squall42080 is a really good friend of mine and we talk often. I told him of my plans, and he thought it was really cool. I've been picking his brain as to what all he did for his. This same project of his is the single inspiration for my own: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/203781-sneak-peek-newest-custom-armada-hotshot.html

For mine, though I hope one can see I'm a big fan of his work, I wanted to make mine just a bit different. I am using the KO BT Impreza that sports movie Bumblebee-like sports stripes. I figure that it's a good fit for Hot Shot. I'll be adding some sponsor labels (like Squall42080 did for his) as well. I'm hopefully going to finish the head soon (thanks to frenzy_rumble for the extra hook-up on the head :thumb ).

I've got parts drying as I type this, and hopefully I'll have another update here shortly. Perhaps, I can take some snapshots, despite being so particular about my photos and sharing them with you guys because of that. Anyways, I thought I'd just post this thread to put my current intentions out there. If for nothing else, I'm really thankful I've been able to paint some again :) 

(Just a note, the first image is courtesy of GenZhao [who I bought the KO from], and the subsequent images are Squall42080's work from the linked thread [that you should check out!])

*UPDATE* 3-01-09: I finished the head to Hot Shot tonight. I'm going to be looking around for a missile launcher to add much like Squall's [he used the Smokescreen GT style launcher and I think I want to do something a bit different].

*UPDATE* 3-01-09 (Um, it's later :) ): Hot Shot is now mostly finished. I've got some parts that I added some paint and Future to, and they're simply redrying. I've also posted some teaser images (!), courtesy of my wife's cell phone. They're crummy for teaser reasons too :lol 

I really only changed the head on Hot Shot here, and in alt mode I added a slew of sponsor decals, courtesy of Xmods label sheets I bought on clearance a few years ago. The close-up teases of an added accessory (courtesy of vector and lita 1) that I'm really excited about, and I'm really pleased with how it came out. Thanks again to Squall42080 for all of the things he shared with me regarding this custom and this part especially.

The last image is an add-on weapon that I've slightly modified for this custom. I bought several weapon packs at Target a few years ago on clearance for $1 or so. I've been waiting on the right time to use a few of them; this time turned out to be very conducive for it. This pleasantly surprised me, as I found it in one of my bins. I only had to sand the connector down just a bit to enable it to fit on the Impreza mold. I had to remove the firing spring mechanism because it was literally on a hair trigger. Depressing, I know, but I hate looking around for parts that just fly off and such. On the same note, the spring was removed before I showed it to Lisa (my wife), and I pysched her out because I always fire my missiles at her whenever I get a new TF :)  It was pretty funny when I showed it to her, because she put her guard up only to have the missile not to fire.

Already, I'm really excited about having this custom in my hands. I am very surprised about this because my modifications have been very minor (as with much of my customs lately). I'm getting more and more excited about having my Alt/BT display rearranged once again (with newbies! Yay!), as well as getting back into customs :) 

*UPDATE* 3-01-09 (It's well, um, later again!): Parts are still drying, and I've added another little surprise for this guy. I was pretty excited before, but I'm even more excited now :)  Stupid drying paint . . . . :lol 

*UPDATE* 3-02-09 Well, my Hot Shot can pretty much get in line with some of the other finished pieces I have to make galleries for. That's not to say that I may (or may not) add some things to him :)  I have to say, I've got a few gears still turning with this project.

*UPDATE* 8-11-09 I'm happy to say that this guy is literally one step away from being finished. I've had the actual figure completed for some time, but I went back and tinkering around with some things. I'm happy with the result, and I hope for an visual update soon :) 

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  2. sentinalsupreme

sentinalsupreme Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    wowzer!!!!!!!!! what kind of paint is that amazing!

3. Superquad7

News Credits:
    The first image (which is what I'm working with) actually looks that way bought. The subsequent images are Squall's project of which I've provided a link to. I'm sure he details his paint apps there.

I hope that helps!

4. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    You've been holding out......

Then again, considering this is the first new project in a while, some folks might actually faint from seeing a potential SQ7 WIP.

5. Superquad7

News Credits:
    You're right. I have been holding out. I've got a slew of new projects that I've been dying to share with you guys. As I've stated in this thread, I've had a lot of holdups from doing things like shooting/editing/uploading my own galleries and sharing them with all of you guys.

The unfair advantage you have is that I can just show you all of this stuff the next time you hang out at my place :lol 

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    OMG you painted that!?!?!?!?!1111?!!!! MAN. that yellow looks factory!!!!!!! *faints*

7. Superquad7

News Credits:
    That's right! I'm the most awesomeest painter in the whole world!!!!!!1111 You must love all of my customz work. If you don't, I don't wanna know yew!!!!!11

Now git outta my threddd you stupid troll!!!111

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  8. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

9. Superquad7

News Credits:
    After eating the spam sandwich in this thread and working a bit more on this guy, I've updated my first post (with teaser images no less!).

Radicons, eat up :) 

Ok, now I made myself hungry . . . .

10. MushroomPrime

MushroomPrime ******

News Credits:
    Oooh, A NEW project from Allen! This is gonna be good.

11. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Hey buddy, thanks for the props! I'm also just as excited as I've been adding a few things to this guy since my last update. Once I get this thing finished, I'm going to be one happy dude. Ever since I saw my buddy's work, I wanted an "Armada style" Hot Shot all my own. :) 

12. Brazilian

Brazilian Well-Known Member

I prefer w/out the stripes

Anyway it looks really nice!

Keep up the great job bro!

13. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    That JaAmish Good.

14. mikeyfuzz

mikeyfuzz Newly converted GIJoe fan

Ebay:
    wow, very nice.

15. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Thanks for the props, man! I actually like the stripes on him, and I think it adds to the "hot shot" persona of HOT SHOT. I can see a young punk thinking it'd be something cool to trick his Impreza out like a concept Camaro (I'm not saying that would actually be cool, but that someone might think it to be). Then it turns out that his car was HOT SHOT all along!

Thanks for the props, guys! I'll be really excited to share mine with you guys when it's finished! :) 

16. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is a genius idea. I never thought of mixing up series such as this. I just associate alternators with G1 automatically. To me this is original and a fab job so far SQ7.

Any plan for his minicon partner? It would look a bit ridiculous but the nod would be sweet.

17. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Good to see you putting some new work out there, man. Squall42080's Hot Shot is just as great in person too. It'll be interesting to see your final take on this.

18. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Yeah, props to Squall42080 again for the fantastic concept. Hot Shot isn't exactly a favorite of mine, but I was really surprised how excited I was when I started to see progress.

For me, Alternaators/Binal Tech is a "catch-all" line, that can emcompass all generataions. G1 is the defalt association, but I like mixing things up a bit :) 

All I'm going to say at this point is that I've already added some nods here and there, and that I'm not finished yet :) 

Thanks man :)  I have to say I'm pretty envious of you being able to hang out with my buddy on a regular basis. I'd love to see his work in person (aside from what I don't own that is).

I'm interested to see how this turns out too. So far, I've been thrilled with taking this KO, making a few minor mods here and there, and I have this guy. That being said, I still love all of the work that Squall42080 put into his. Obviously, his work really inspired this piece, and others :) 

19. Rodr-Evil

Rodr-Evil Lucifer's children TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah I remember those Armada customs, very original. Can't wait to see yours man.

20. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Thanks man! I'm afraid you'll have to though. I'm just really backlogged on photo galleries :(