Alternator Wheeljack - Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Soundwaves, May 30, 2008.

1. Soundwaves

Soundwaves Member

Well i've got a chance to get an alternator wheeljack for a price that probably won't go any lower than just under £8 (can't remember exact amount but its on the Argos UK website) anyway i've always liked the look of the mustang mode but i've always been weary about how people say he's a pain in the ass to transform and that coz he's a white plastic mold that he's gonna eventually yellow...

what do you guys reckon? is he worth it or shall i just save my money for something better?

for reference my alt collection consists of the mazda rx8, viper, jeep, subaru and jaguar vehicles. I kinda gave up on collecting them as the ones i really want (ford GTO and honda civic) will never be available to me at a decent price (unless the BT repaints give me a chance to get them)

2. blahduh

blahduh Well-Known Member

My honest opinion: I don't like the mold, it's pretty ugly in bot mode. And on car mode it's very easy to see the hands, the hood also have some trouble to squeeze in correctly.

However, that price is very cheap(If it's a misb). Wheeljack is one of the more expensive alternator, so if you not going to open it you probably should get it.

3. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    I'd say yes, I like the Mustang mold as Wheeljack. He is a bit of pain to transform (as I rediscovered when I last moved house; the rest of the time he lives in bot mode), but only as much as any more properly complex TF might be.

Don't know about the yellowing - I go for Binaltechs rather than Alternators, so no such worries with die-cast. But i can't imagine it'd be too horrific, provided he isn't sat in the sun all day - and in this country at the moment, doesn't seem to be much danger of that...

Might go and investigate my own local Argos, if they're doing Alts for £8...

4. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    That was posted while i was typing...

If this is common prob with the Alt version, maybe ignore my praise for it! I know a TF that didn't fit together right would put me off :)  As I said, mine's the BT version rather than the Alt, so maybe that's a difference others who have the Alt version have spotted...

5. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I haven't opened my WJ but I have a loose Grimlock. It's not easy to transform but not impossible. I had to fiddle around with it but the hood on mine sits nicely. And for 8 pounds that's a great deal since it still goes for $50 in the states.

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I prefer Grimlock since WJ's color scheme just looks boring to me, but it's got a cool head sculpt and IMO the mold is great even if it is a little fiddly to transform.

7. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Of the two, I personally prefer Grimlock over Wheeljack. He suits the car more than Wheeljack. However, if you are looking for a decent priced Mustang Alternator it looks like you may have found one. I would snag it at that price. Basically not the best Alternator, but still a good toy.

8. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah Wheeljack is pain in the arse to transform, but definitely worth £8. You can get some pretty good poses with Grimlock and Wheeljack.

9. KING KONVOY

KING KONVOY Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You should definitely get. Its worth more than that and I think its the best wheeljack made!

10. Doctor Ingenious

Doctor Ingenious Doctorate in Ingeniology

yay

11. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yay, the 3rd best mold in the line, #1 being the meisters, #2 being the Ford GTs

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I own Grimlock, and i really don't like him,but Wheeljack looks nicer,but he's expesive so get him while he's still cheap.

13. Soundwaves

Soundwaves Member

wow cool loads of responses, thanks for the insight guys the actual price is £7.39 and its MISB, the brick and mortar stores also have the sale going on so i guess for an alternator, it is a good price. I can't believe he's so expensive in the states :confused:  they havn't been able to shift him here.

Ha this probably sounds weird but I collect the alternators range mainly for the detailed car modes (I have them displayed in car mode) and I like the tricked out look of the mustang with the stripes and spoiler etc. only things stopping me where the reasons i mentioned before.

darn my indecisiveness...

14. Ricky_Stream

Ricky_Stream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    buy it, you'll regret it if you don't!

15. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

That's a great price - approximately $14 according to XE.com.

If only shipping from the UK to the US weren't so expensive. You guys got tons of Energon Ultra Magnus too....

16. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    At that price you have to get him.

17. overlander

overlander Stunticon

Yes, despite the fact that this is by far THE most difficult to transform Transformer I've ever touched. Looks good in both modes. The head mould is a good update of the original Wheeljack – you'd know who it was just from the head, which is more than you can say for a lot of latter generation Transformers. The G1 version of Wheeljack was one of the very few TFs I really disliked when I was a kid; the Alternator is far better, and unlike the G1, his legs are in proportion to the rest of his body. I personally don't like the idea of this mould doubling-up as Grimlock. It's important to Grimlock's character that he transforms into a dinosaur. It makes no sense for him to transform into a car.

Oh, and if you're buying from Argos, you'd better be quick. I got mine from them a couple of months ago, and had to do it via mail order from a store several cities away. And they charge for delivery.

18. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

£7.39? Get him! As quickly as humanly possible. I already have him, but if I saw him at the price I'd buy him again, just to have a spare (and coz mine is a bit broke.) Two things to keep in mind:
    1: He IS tricky to transform (it's the head. Getting the head through the bonnet is the bit that irritates people), but once you've got the hang of it, he's not too bad. And if you plan to keep him in car mode, it's kind of a moot point.

2: The main problem I have with the robot mode is the daffy "Butt-plate" that hangs over the back of his legs. However, this plate pops off with little to no fuss and suddenly Wheeljack becomes one of the best looking alts out there.

3: (I know I said 2, but here's a third.) When transforming the legs, remember to swing up the trunk/kneepads before unfolding the legs. Coz I forgot and snapped both the kneepads. Which annoyed me. A lot.

But yeah. Get him.

19. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Yay!