Alternator Ricochet Comic Challenge

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Fiction' started by MachSabre, Feb 27, 2006.

1. MachSabre

MachSabre Blackmarket T-Cog Dealer

Hi guys, what's up?

I just thought I'd like to bring this up to you writers here. It's the Alternators Ricochet Comic Challenge. (As if you couldn't tell from the title, huh?)

Here's the rundown:

A six page self contained black and white webcomic story, drawn by me and written by you.

Okay I had been reading that crap that's so adornly cherished by the Transfan community called Binaltech. Honestly this story is a shade or two lower than some of the worse fanfics I've read. And naturally the fanbase loves it... I'm assuming either because Takara did it or just becuase they don't have an Alternator version. (Considering my faith in the Transfan Community, I'm assuming it's the first one. I remember how they swooned over Superlink and hated Energon... Folks, crap is crap no matter the language!)

Now I recently got Alternator Ricochet here, and I was sitting here thinking "What's this character like?" Is he smart? Dumb? Reckless? Charming? Emo? (I doubt that last one due to the bright flames on the side!) Is he spiritual? Logical? Does he have problems taking orders? Who knows... He never existed in our G1 Continuity. I think it's time to change that. Even if it's in the "fandom" sort of way. (And before you say "He has a character. It's in his tech specs." I have to inform you that is a description, not a character. Hopefully you know the difference.)

This is something I came up with for fun. Now I'm in the midst of drawing my creator owned comic Shadowgirls right now, but shortly I should be done with the first issue. (Taking longer than I thought it would.) But afterwards, I thought this would be a fun small project to try and do, just to keep the drawing juices going and to keep creative energies high.

Here are the rules. Why are there rules? I'm project leader, so there. :D 

- NO BinalTech references. Not even a minor sidenote or throw away joke. I'm enforcing this because I want you to BE CREATIVE. If you have Ravage show up and he's the BW Ravage, you're disqualified.

- You MUST write it in Comic Script format. If you do not know how to do this, then Google it or do not waste my and the other contestant's time. If you send me a script in screenplay or prose format, you're disqualified.

- Six pages folks. No more or no less.

- NO Name changing. Decepticharge is not Dragstrip, Silverstreak is not Bluestreak, and Shockblast is not Shockwave. You may have something like Bluestreak saying how he changed his name, but the toy's name is Silverstreak. Break that rule, you're disqualified.

- NO introducing your "dream" Alternator in the series. Stick only with existing Alternator characters. If you have Alternator Ratchet show up, you're disqualified. Also, having other non Alternators Characters show up is frowned upon. (Kinda eliminates the point, no?)

- NO references to Unicron, Primus, or the Matrix. They have been officially overkilled. (However saying "By the Matrix!" or the like is acceptable.) If I see Unicron show up, you're an idiot and you're disqualified!

- Alternator Ricochet is the main character. I don't want a six page script where we have G1 versions running around, and then on the last page there's the Alternators. The goal is to develop Ricochet into an interesting character in his own right. Not tell your story of what happened in that 20 year gap between season two and the movie. At the end of six pages, I want Ricochet to be a developed character. And a "battle hardened veteran who takes no guff" is not a character, it's a cliche.

Why these rules? I want creativity, not rehashment. And so do the fans I think. I mean it's easy to just copy the crappy Binaltech story... But it's a challenge to come up with something new and original. Hence the title "Alternator Ricochet Comic CHALLENGE". :thumbs2: 

Now be advised... This is NOT going to get us a job at IDW, Devil's Due, or wherever. There are dozens of artists out there that draws Transformers professionally for a living from Figueroa, to Guidi, to Su, to even Wildman. And that's not even getting into fanartists out there who are still pretty damn good. THEY'RE ALL BETTER AT ROBOTS THAN ME! Even if I could, I wouldn't want their jobs. It will not get "official recognition" whatever that means... It's just a fan comic that hopefully will be read and appreciated by many. You may use it as a submission if you want, but honestly that's your bag all together. I got my own stuff to deal with.

Where will it be displayed? On my site of course, and wherever else. Still working that out. (Not like it's a web exclusive ya know!)

I will choose the winning script. (I gotta draw it after all.) Expect no favoritism. Anyone is eligible. Hell, if you're Simon Furman or Brad Mick and you send in a script, that's freakin' awesome! But it doesn't mean I'm going to choose you. I'm going to choose the best story that I feel it out there. And I feel there's a lot of unexplored talent in the fandom.

All submissions are to be emailed to thoughtcrimeinc@gmail.com with the subject line of "Alternator Ricochet Contest"

Do not, repeat... DO NOT SEND AS AN ATTACHMENT. In this day and age of viruses and worms, there's too much of a risk. Just copy and paste it into the text window and that's good. Any emails with attachments are going to be deleted. All email address remain confidential. I wouldn't want my address spread around needlessly... Who knows what list it could get put on. I'm sure you're the same.

Dead line is 11:59 PM, April 15th, 2006... Same day the American taxes are due.

Any questions, feel free to ask away or to email and/or private massage. That's it. Have fun folks, and thanks in advance for your interest. :) 

[​IMG]

2. JLBarnett

JLBarnett Well-Known Member

Can anyone point me to a site where I can find a comic format script?

3. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    What if we're James McDonnough?

I kid, I kid.

Count me in. You'll have something by tomorrow, depending on how I do with writer's block.

4. MachSabre

5. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    If you're going to insult other people and their work, you could at least have the decency to name names.

I hope your little project - which you've decided to start off by attacking mine and other peoples' - gets all the praise and attention it deserves. :sly: 

6. Clutchburn

Clutchburn Swollen Member

Ebay:
    I think he meant the official BT storyline not the fanfics, which I rather enjoy, like yours , Wreckie and Falcadore's. Both of you have been doing great, though more frequent updates would be nice :) 

7. Wreckie

Ebay:
    Well, I would... but apparently anyone can do it, so why bother? :rolleyes: 

:stick: 

Okay. This weekend, then...

8. MachSabre

Thanks for your "support", but it doesn't change the fact that the Japanese BinalTech story is something I feel is nothing more than "fanwank" that if given a chance, most of the fan writers out there in the fandom (you included) could come up with a better backstory.

And just to clear your conscious... Honestly dude, until right now, I've never even heard of you or your work. So no... I was NOT talking about YOUR or anyone elses BinalTech. I was talking about the official Japanese story.

9. Wreckie

Ebay:
    Thanks, but my conscience is absolutely fine. :)  Stress, lack of sleep and a general near-end-of-week grouchiness probably made my response a little sharper than it needed to be, though.

Your original post in which you talked about Binaltech and bad fanfic in the same sentence was very open to misinterpretation, especially when you were saying how easy it is to copy the official story. (I'm writing a story which uses the official one as a starting point because I really believe it has a huge amount of potential if it's not shoehorned into a booklet given away with the toys.)

But that's Binaltech. Just because it shares the same toy molds as Alternators doesn't mean they have to share the same mythology, and I like the idea of a fresh, original Alternators continuity.

But you don't have to pour scorn on the BT continuity to achieve it.

Incidentally, Falcadore's work on Alternators rocks. That'd be a great starting point for a comic.

10. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

YES! I posted this thread a few months ago in hopes that some of the board's great artists and colorists would be interested in creating a comic from Falcy's story.

Nobody really picked it up as a project, but I still think it would make an awesome project.

11. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

Um...does the mere notion of a comic based on Falcodore's story instantly kill a thread?

12. Wreckie

Ebay:
    I don't know. Shall we mention it in a few other threads and see what happens? :sly: 

13. MachSabre

No, I don't think so... Falcadore's already mentioned about sending a script in based on his universe.

I pretty much told him that establishment in his pre-existing universe doesn't discount anything. A good story is a good story, and really that's all I'm going to base it on.

14. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

Ah, that's all good to hear. :D 

And Wreckie, I think that sounds like a fine idea. :wink:  :D 

15. MachSabre

Well, the deadline is upon us, and the challenge is over! I want to thank everyone who sent in a submission. They’re all pretty good, and it’ll be a bit difficult to choose a winner. I’ll be spending the next week re-reading all the scripts and I’ll notify the winner this time next weekend. Look for the story to be finished sometime in late May.

Once again, thanks to everyone, and I hope you had fun. We’ll have to do this again sometime… (I think Rollbar could use a story.)

Later!

[​IMG]

16. JoshBot

JoshBot Well-Known Member

*crosses fingers*