Alternator Ravage - A brief review

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Rabbit, Feb 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rabbit

Rabbit Weary

Alternator Ravage showed up on my doostep yesterday mewling and swatting at a stray thread on his wittle binky blanket cause he's a good kitty, yes he is...

*ahem* right.

Action HQ got Ravage here in record time and any time I get a new Alternator it is a time to rejoice. Ravage is pretty slick- not perfect- but certainly one of the quality Alts and his bot mode makes him worth the price of admission alone. I would love to see more beast Alternators.

Vehicle mode is very sharp. Regrettably the hood doesn't open and there's no steering gimmick but that's a small price to pay. The Jaguar is a sleek vehicle and the lines on this one are perfect. It's hard to tell it turns into a robot you flip it over. The paint is not a flat black like say Dead End or Battle Ravage. It's got that shimmery, flecky look and of course the detail is nice. Chrome hubs, headlights, you know the drill. My only complaint is that there's an unsightly but thankfully somewhat small blob of grey just below the driver side door. QC failed me but it's minor and doesn't really show up at all in bot mode.

So, bot mode, this is where Ravage falters a bit but I'll start with the good points.
    The headsculpt and movable jaws is the best feature in bot mode. The Decepticon logo is printed on the left side of his neck. It's a bit out of sight but all told, it's in a good spot. Like a tattoo or something. Whatever. Anyway aside from the jaws, the head can move up and down as can the neck and there's even a bit of lateral movement so he can kinda look to the side.

The colours work nicely here, black and purple are no surprise when it comes to Decepticons and the chrome weapons are great (except for the red bits which I find are too bold and distracting) though I'd have preferred if they were a little bigger. There's definitley a nod to the original Ravage. The placement of the wheels in bot mode are reminiscent of the spools on his old cassette form. I actually find this version of Ravage very similar to the animated model from the old cartoon in terms of girth and bulk. Four legs give him stability but they are limited in their articulation and I haven't really been able to get overly dynamic poses.

The bad is that Ravage is a bit kibbly with the hood and grille that become his back. It's a bit like he's wearing it as a cape. He's also woefully lean and you can see right through him which bothers me a bit. I've bene playing around with getting the doors to fold along his sides to hide the gaps but it detracts from the relative sleekocity (I just made that word up) of the form. Also his..well...gut towards his back end kinda just hangs there but doesn't really lock to anything and handling this cat can cause it to sort of swing to the sides. It's tough to describe but for those of you who have it may know what I'm talking about.

He relies heavily on hinge type joints and while the transformation is relatively simple the joints on mine are really, really stiff and you have to be very careful unfolding the weapons in the first steps of the process from car to bot. The really lock in there and I had a tough time grasping them to pull them out. They were also hampered by a part if the rear panels that required deft fingerwork and patience to avoid stress marks and snappage. I haven't reverted him to vehicle mode (and likely won't for the time being) and I'll wager the reverse process requires just as much care. I found it kinda neat that his rear legs are spring loaded and they pop out to the side during transformation. No play value but it saved a step in transforming him.

That went on longer than I expected but some final thoughts:

A must buy if you're an Alternator fan like I am and a very faithful redeco of a fan favourite. The obvious repaint would be Steeljaw but if Hasbro was feeling a bit ambitious, this mold could work as the insecticon Kickback provided they opted to forgo the humanoid bot mode and have him go right from car to grasshopper. I would really get a kick out of that (no pun intended).

If I had to give Ravage a rating, I'd say 4 out 5 and more fun than Corvette Battle Ravage. Beast Alts are a great idea and I would love to see Laserbeak get this treatment.

2. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  3. Rabbit

Rabbit Weary

Oh crap. The feedback forum. Eep. Mods, please lock this thread and I'll post my review there? My humblest apologies.

4. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

locked at author's request.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.