Minor/Repaint: Alternator Prime, my ultimate version

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Golgo-013, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Golgo-013

Golgo-013 The Professional

With the help of this forum and TFmaster's leg guide, I have almost finished my first transformers bash. I decided to make my own ultimate version of Alternator Prime using both the hasbro and the takara versions and also extending the legs and moving the seats off the arms.

All I have left to do is paint the thighs all silver, paint leg covers a lighter blue to match, and I have a KO robotmasters prime gun for him. The mods are pretty simple, The leg extension makes him 1/2 inch taller and now I can use the hip plate without it making him look short. And the seats were the most annoying things when I first got the toy, but they are very easy to fix.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm calling this guy Diaclone Convoy for now, before he gets repainted into Ultra Magnus.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    His size next to Mirage.

Attached Files:

2. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    WOW!

Simply AMAZING!

3. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Awsome work! I just got my Prime yesterday. How you made him look is how he should have looked out of the box.

4. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

nice, i wish i had the guts to do that to one of my primes. Id be afraid to screw it up.

5. zailand

zailand Well-Known Member

he looks so fine... very clean n nicework dude!!

6. vector

vector City Commander

Ebay:
    Can someone explain the leg mod that makes him taller?? great work !!

7. Golgo-013

Thanks guys. This being my first transformers mod I was a little intimidated too, but I have a lot of experience with 40K Warhammer modeling so I decided I had to do it after seeing some of the cool transformer mods out there.

You can do these mods without really doing any major work. The leg extension takes about 2 hours and the seat less than an hour.

Here's the link to the TFmaster guide I used:
    http://www.tfmaster.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5641

Here's some more specific details mine.
    For my ultimate Prime I used the main body with chrome wheels and all the body panels from Kiss Convoy to get that nice paint job, also because the viper prints on my Alternator Prime hood where totally off as you can see in the picture. I used Alternator Prime rear bumper, thighs, crotch, arms, feet, hip plate connector, and head.

For the leg mod I used styrene and very little cutting.
    On the leg mod I didn't let the leg extend all the way as TFmaster did because I think that can let him look a little too lanky so I left one 1/8 width styrene at the end of the leg.
    You just cut away the plastic that is blocking the knee lock so it can extend further, then rebuild a new stopping piece out of styrene. You can see there is really very little stryene used, its all about carfeully cutting and fitting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the seats, just glue them together and they stay on the back. Just cut the edges so bottome halves fit nicely together to be glued and cut the edges of the top seat halves to clear each other when they fold. So you still fold them individually when you transform, but they stay on the back folded away.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also cut a tiny bit off the silver frame where the front wheels connect, it gives the chest/hood more clearance when folding down against the bottom of the seats.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Golgo-013

Here's a sneak peek at my next mod. I'm fixing Shockwave's legs to not look retarded. It also makes him a bit taller.
    Also the foot/trunk extends and swivels now.
    Right leg is done. This one's actually a lot tougher than the Prime mod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Wow, Shockwave's leg does look much better that way! That's the one thing I've always disliked about the RX-8 mold, is the feet. The look like they're walking around in big puffy slippers or something.

10. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great job!

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Wow, the Prime tutorial looks GREAT! Thanks a lot! Have you seen the other Prime mods? If you do any of those mods, I'd love to see you do a tutorial as clearly as you've done here. I've been trying to compile an Alt Prime mod manual as a Transtopia article (and I always cite sources). Keep us posted with more of your work!

Shockblast looks interesting, but I'm a fan of how he looks already. This looks nice too though! Again, NICE work!

12. Golgo-013

Right now I'm having a bitch of a time matching the blue on the legs and
    feet of the American Alt Prime. Anyone find a match to that blue perfectly, let me know?

Thanks for the compliments. superquad7, I have seen the other mods, I did a pretty extensive seach on everything Alt Prime before I started my work. Both TFans and Transtopia were a great help to get inspired and started on my projects. You can use any of my pics, posts or diagrams, I don't mind. I'm all for sharing ideas and pics. I can post how to do the Laserwave mod when I get done.

For my Alt Prime version he is complete except for a KO robotmasters gun, which is in the mail. I just have to paint the thighs silver and the leg covers the right color blue.

13. TFmaster

TFmaster Lord of the Scalple

A simple mod that also make him look alot better is the shoulder mod.

You know the black tabs that the bumpers connect to over the shoulders? Just unscrew, cut the little square tab that holds it in place and you can now swivel the black peice outside the truck frame and pose the bumpers over the shoulder as usual. They actually make the arms look alot better with such a simple mod and it doesn't stick out inward near bot mode as much. Trust me, simple but makes a huge differance.

Try it out. If you don't like it you can always just swing the black peice back into position and it still transforms perfectly.

See, that leg mod is actually really simple but addicting isn't it? I see you did it to both those primes. Gets easier the more you do it doesn't it?

I'm glad I could help with the little how to and I'm also glad you made your own adaption. It is the same as the livedoor mod I copied but it works just as well as my version. Still I have to say I like my mode more and the length it gives me even if it does look weird to some it really looks alot different in person and actually really does make him look much better.

Prime should tower over the other Alts IMO...

TFM

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    :thumb 

15. Golgo-013

Yeah the leg mod is pretty simple and makes a big difference, and it does get easier the last one I did is perfect. Thanks for the guide TFmaster.
    I like the shoulder mod too, it looks great on on the Gears and Ironhide mods. I'm going to keep the upright shoulders on this Prime, reminds me of smokestacks.
    I detailed the forearms with yellow and I waiting for the legs and thighs to dry, I'll post pics of the finished product.

16. Golgo-013

My Alt Prime is finally done, painting is completed. And a nice G1 style Prime gun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Maximal Prime

Maximal Prime Active Member

Ebay:
    Nice job!:rock 

Personally, I hated that they used that mold for Optimus Prime from the moment I saw it, but yours is by far the best custom of it I have seen. Just the little things like the yellow details on his arms and waist make it work. Sometimes it's the little things that make all the difference. Well done!

18. Golgo-013

Thanks Maximal

TFmaster, I just realized last night what you were talking about here. I didn't read your post clearly, I automatically assumed you were talking about the other shoulder mod that flips the shoulder down over the arm.

I missed this easy little mod some how, probably because its so easy you don't notice it at first. I didn't remember seeing a pics of it.

Anyway, I added it to my Prime last night and it is one of the easiest and quickest little mods and it looks great! It really does make a big difference!

Thanks again. Better pics coming of Prime and my finished Laserwave.

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I just wanted to comment on how nice your photos turned out (nice poses, nice quality, etc.)! Nice work man!

20. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

That looks fantastic, I might do the leg mod if I can ever get around to it.