Alternator packages. What's the difference?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Hello there. I was browsing fleebay for Alternators and came across something interesting. Two differently styled packaging for an Alternator Prowl and at totally different prices.
    First one can be had at $130.
    Transformers RID Alternators Prowl Acura RSX MISB AFA - eBay (item 200437943248 end time Mar-11-10 19:27:02 PST)

Second one for $79.99
    Transformers Alternators Prowl (MISB) - eBay (item 130369070383 end time Feb-28-10 09:03:53 PST)

Is there a difference between these two, or is it just the seller is marking it way up higher than it should be? What is a good price for an Alternator?

I'd like to start collecting them, but I would like to keep all limbs if you know what I mean!

Sorry, I read the description a little more carefully on the first one and read that it's AFA quality. So that might explain the difference? Anybody know the difference between these two being of different packaging?

2. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The square packaging is an earlier release - they switched to the bubble style later in the series. AFA means it has been 'graded' and sealed in plastic just so it can be sold on for more. If you actually want to handle the figures avoid AFA.

Edit: actually the first one hasn't actually been graded - the guy just says it in good enough condition to be gradable - ie he's taking the piss!

3. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well I'd stay away from the first one cause the seller is crazy!

The first one is the original style packaging that alternators came in. The second is the second style packaging sometimes reffered to as "fishbowl" packaging. The original style packaging is usually worth a little more but not what that seller wants for it.

Look around in the junkion (buy sell forum here) You'll do much better price wise.

While that first post says AFA its not actually an AFA graded item. Again the seller is crazy.

4. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Red boxed ones IIRC are very rare as they were only in one assortment, the bubble boxed ones were more plentiful but I don't think he ever just sat on shelves like some of the others did.

5. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Also, the red box, earlier versions do not have the Accura marker on the back of the car.

6. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

The red box Prowl was pretty rare, and he also lacked the Acura sysmbol on the rear and I think there were some other slight differences. I don't totally remember honestly as my Alt collection has been boxed up for about 2 years.

7. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Thank you guy's for your quick answers. As I tend to take my figures out of the packaging, I'm more interested in the item itself. Only packages worth keeping are the G1 series.
    That said, I think I actually remembered seeing the bubble style more recently than the square style.
    Megatronwp38, you'd just answered my question the same time I was asking it! LOL! I was wondering if there was any difference to the actual figure inside the package.

8. Megatronwp38

Welcome! He is a great figure. One of my Favorite Alternators. I like the Japanese one a touch more though with the larger spoiler, Like Alt Camshaft has.

9. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    I may be wrong, but i could've sworn there were said to be slight differences on the grey plastic from one release to the next (?)

10. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

The other thing is that if you are a MISB collector the red packaging is VERY easy to damage. There is a thin part of the box on the top that can bend or tear quite easily.

11. Megatronwp38

Very true, when they were on the shelves I remember looking for ones that were not already damaged. It was diffucult to get nice red boxes, especially at Wal*Mart. When they carried them of course.

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    True that. I got a Shockblast whose box was damaged in shipping like that. Of course after that ordeal I was just glad that he arrived.

Never used Argos' home order service again after that.

13. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I used to like the old Alternators packaging because I could nicely rebox my figures when I later needed to store them away to make display room for new stuff. The change to bubble packaged ones irked me greatly.

14. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

If you open him up, be sure to do the leg swap. Makes him a much better figure, and he doesn't feel so much like Red Alert afterwards.

15. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you want them loose and you're just starting out it'd be better to look for lots. That way you get the more expensive ones and the whole lot averages out to 20-25 a piece. Afterwards, you can fill in what you're missing. On ebay, don't look at selling price but look at the history to see what prices they actually sold at. The loose ones are going for $15-$40. One MISB one went for $66. Have the prices always been this high? I need to go sell me some alts.

Oh, and don't forget that alternators (US, plastic) and binaltechs (Japan, some metal) have different price ranges.