Alternator or Binaltech

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jessecuster, Apr 3, 2009.

1. jessecuster

jessecuster One Goal!

News Credits:
    So I am sure this was asked a bunch of times in the past, but I am still catching up on some stuff.

After getting Alternity Convoy, I decided I want either the Alternator Optimus or the BT Convoy. Which do you recommend and why?

2. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Alt Optimus is very much the poor relative of BT Convoy or even KP Convoy, the paint apps on the Japanese releases are so much better. You do have to watch for chipping though with the BT though.

3. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Every Alt Prime i've seen is two different shades of red... So i'd lean towards the BT.

TBH though, whether it's metal or plastic, the mold is fairly indifferent. I've always thought it looks like a Gobot in a powersuit.

4. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Buy whatever you can get cheapest. It's not a mold worth spending serious money on.

5. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    BT-22. Heaviest Binaltech ever, the metal content is mindblowing. And it's Convoy!

6. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    My BT convoy is one of my favourite figures, so I definatly recommend that.

7. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Depends on what you want to do with it.

If you want to constantly transform it or pose it differently? Get the Alternators version.

If you want to just display it in box or transform it once and pose it only once? Get the Binaltech version.

If you like BT Convoy's apps but don't want the risk of chipping the paint and want a surfboard sword? Get the Kissplay version.

OR

Do what I do and get all three. :D 

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  8. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    And don't get forget to get the transforming gas can/matrix upgrade kit for it.

9. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    I disagree. It's a great mold and the BT version is one of the nicer BT figures available, with a stupid amount of Diecast that doesn't impact the figure as negatively as many of the others considering it doesn't have ball joint hips. The paint is great on it too.

Alt Convoy is considerably more "meh".

10. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Die cast doesn't impact the mold because the mold isn't very good to start with. The posability issues that die cast brings to, say, the Subaru mold aren't an issue here because Prime's legs are arse to begin with. And the torso... ugh.

11. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Honestly? Neither. It's easily the weakest of all the Alternator molds. Even the nice head sculpt and cool gun can't save it from the fact that, in profile, it looks like a truck standing on its bed.

If you insist, though, get the Alt version because plastic > die cast.

12. Cyberjet #7

Cyberjet #7 Banned

I've read here and elsewhere (TFsource even mentions it in the description for the ones they're selling), that the BT Prime can have a high percent of QC issues.

Now I don't have either, but if I had to choose, I would go with the Alt version first. It's cheaper and I have not read about as many QC items with this version.

13. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yup! Got that too! The gas can gun is fricken amazing. The Matrix/engine block, not so much in 'bot mode.

14. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

I absolutely love my BT Convoy. I think it is one of the most striking figures in my collection, and definitely ranks as one of my favourite Primes/Convoys. Even with the desing flaws, some of which can be worsened by the die-cast, I still think it's an absolutely great figure and haven't regretted buying it once. It's sturdy as hell, with one minor exception that I'll get to, can actually pull off some decent poses, has some truly gorgeous detailing and by far one of the best Prime/Convoy head sculpts ever.

However... there are some problems. The die-cast can make it very unstable, especially in the knees. The doors have a habit of flopping down when in bot mode (at least on mine) and it has one huge flaw in the design; the shoulder pads. They attach by a simple peg-in-hole at the tip where they swivel to make the front of the truck or the shoulder pads of the bot. Normally, this joint wouldn't be a problem, but since these parts are made entirely of die-cast they have a really bad tendency to fall out of the hole just by touching them. The peg is too short, too thin and not capped on the end. And yes, the view in profile is not flattering, no matter if you get the BT or Alternator. Also, the transformation can be a pain in the ass to get back to truck mode. I haven't once succeeded in transforming Convoy back since I got him...

But, as a testament to the awesomeness of BT Convoy, my wife was sketching him one night on our coffee table in the living room while my dog was running around playing with our cat. I was at work I believe...anyway, the dog hit the table and down went Convoy, straight onto the tile floors. Not a single scratch, chip, dent or stress mark anywhere on him! In fact, the tile now has a bit of a tiny crack where he landed!

So, basically, to answer the OP's question, I'd get the BT. It looks so much nicer than the Alt version, is not the brick it's made out to be and is, as far as I can tell, damned near indestructible.

15. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    Just read that bit on their site. That's news to me. My BT-22 has a perfect paint job and nice and tight joints (which was not the case with my Alt. Prime). He's much more stable too than my Alt. Prime because of the better joints.

16. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    When it comes to Alts and BTs.... i think both lines have had had more than their fairshare of QC problems.

17. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    To be honest, Ops is the worst of the line. Not sure about the BT/KP versions but he is the least impressive mold of the Alts. He was my 2nd Alt and almost made me not continue with the line, I'm glad I did though I've never been a completest with any other line. I need a few more BTs that never got an Alt version release & I'll have em all....mwahahahhaaha :D 

If you want a good Alt I highly recommend Mirage, or even Ricochet (he was my first one and got me hooked, great mold)

18. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    to play with: altinator

to display: binaltech

but honestly he's not all that so just go with the cheaper alt item

19. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    Always throught the worst Alt/BT mold was Sideswipe/Lambor with his stupidly jointed legs. Windcharger/Overdrive isn't much better in that deparment either. But they sure are nice in car mode.

20. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

I'd go with the general consensus here: The mold is pretty poor, so if you really want it, get the Alt version, as it'll cost you less and leave you less depressed about the blown cash when you get your hands on the thing. And I speak as somebody with an irrational love for Alts and BT's that usually causes me to totally overlook their flaws. That's how bad this Prime is.