Alternator Hot Rod, or MP Hot Rod?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Tigertrack, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Hello there. I have a little quandary. Should I get a $35-50 dollar Alternator Hot-Rod? Or save up for the Masterpiece Hot-Rod?
    In my opinion, I don't see the need of getting Alternator Optimus Prime when we've got the wonderful MP04 Prime which as you can tell from my signature picture displays quite nicely together.
    Now that we have MP Hot Rod, I'm wondering the same thing. For those that may have both, I'd like to see a picture of MP Hot Rod next to Alternator Hot Rod. Are they approximately the same size? How would MP Hot-Rod display along with the other Alternator cars?
    I'm just wondering which of the two is worth the money for my collection. I'm leaning towards MP Hot-Rod since he look's exactly like his G1 cartoon character. Alternators Hot-Rod is just a repainted Mirage. And I've already got Alternator Mirage and don't feel I need a repaint of him.

It would be great to see comparison pics between the two in both modes. Thanks in advance guys!

2. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

MP roddy is probably too big to fit in with alts. If Alts/bts are the focus of your collection, get alt rodimus.

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Alternators.

Saves money on something that won't be guranteed defected.

4. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    I agree with Sancho. However, MP Rodimus would look nice next to your other MP.

5. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, MP Rodimus does not fit into the Alt collection. NOW.... if your into MP figures, I'd say get it no question. I love mine and contrary to popular belief, not all MP Rodimus figures are broken:2c: 

Mine is perfect:thumbs2: 

6. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have both, I like both.

MP Hot Rod is an odd scale (doesn't match with anything except maybe Prime and Meg), and his details seem MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more cartoony and toy like than ANY other MP toy.

He seems to need to be displayed by himself near nothing else.

Although I totally get why they deco'd him the way they did- I think they could have deco'd him to look a bit more real- in the movie he often looked metallic.

I think I prefer my BT version (and I like my Mirage better of the two).

He's not a bad toy, but this has left me less sure if I'll keep buying MP toys just because they're MP from here on out. Definitely one of my less favorite MP toys I have (and mine was mostly free of the QC issues).

7. Omega_Sentinel

Omega_Sentinel Well-Known Member

Odds are the SDCC Rodimus may be defected as well. As discussed here: Broken SDCC Rodimi Myself and many other people have had the doors fall off him right out of the package.

8. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Well, I have both MP's and Alternators and I tend to think they go hand'n'hand. Consider most of the Alternators are of characters we don't have MP's of. Example, Jazz, Sidewipe, Wheeljack, Mirage, etc. And consider how well MP Prime matches up with the Alternators as well. I was kind of hoping MP Rodimus would be in the same line as far as how they display together.

Looking at Alternator Hot-Rod, he does look cool and all, and being an Alternator himself he'll obviously fit with his Alternator buddies. AND, he's much cheaper than MP Rod. However, A H-R is just a repaint of A Mirage. Do I really need another character repainted figure? I've already got three of the Subaru WRX Alternators being that of Ricochet, Silverstreak, and now Smokescreen. I'm considering getting rid of Ricochet and keep the other two I do like.
    Should I just go with Alternator Hot Rod for his cheaper price and the fact he'll fit with the others? How is Hot Rods head compared to Mirages head? If the head is different, that might convince me.
    I guess the biggest question here is this, is having another repaint really worth more than getting a figure that doesn't fit with the rest?

Or should I basically keep all the MP's seperate from all the Alternators?

9. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This, everyone just kinda lumped MP Prime in with the Alt figures since they came out around the same time. However, do what works best for you! If you like MP Hot Rod with the Alt figures, jam him in there. You don't need anyones approval you know:lol 

10. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I own both and I would take MP Roddy any day. It's a beautiful figure.

11. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

MP Prime's trailer is scaled to work with Alternators figures.

12. optimus12380

optimus12380 Well-Known Member

Honestly I'd recommend both. I have the Alt. Hot Rod already and will definitely keep him when I get the MP Rodimus. Just get the cheaper of the two now and wait to see if MP Rodimus goes on sale or when he get's a cheaper American release.

13. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    I think you'll end up buying both.

Maybe it was said already in this thread, but apparently there are KO Alt Roddys out there (?)

Takara were pretty quick to do it themselves.

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    KP Hot Rodimus FTW

15. Ellamin

Ellamin Moonbeam Dreamer

News Credits:
    Read Transformers; Retribution or Polenicus' warring at play to decide on Alt/bt rodimus.

16. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    Yeah Masterpiece Hot Rod is much better than the Alternator. The Kiss Players Hot Rod is much better than the Alternator as well.

The Alternator is kind of poor in comparison to either.

Depends on what you want out of the figure. If you want a nice Hot Rod figure that displays well with the other Alternators, go for the Kiss Players figure. If you want a figure that is a faithful representation of Hot Rod/Rodimus from the film and is more to scale with the larger MP figures, then go with the Masterpiece.

Also Kiss Players/Alternators Hot Rod has a new headsculpt compared to Mirage, and the Kiss Players figure came with some additional accessories such as the Photon Elminator/Fishing Pole and Shao-Shao.

Randy

17. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    After having MP-09 for a while I'm going to say the price isn't worth it. Those of you waiting for a trailer-less version made the right call. I would say just hope for that unless you run into a good deal.

18. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

*Shoots with Photon Eliminator Rifle*
    The usual price on Masterpieces is worth it IMO, especially considering that Hasbro's will be missing the Mobile Defense Bay (begin sending strongly worded letters, and if that doesn't work time for extreme measures).

19. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Alternators Hot Rod all night and day.

20. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i got both, and masterpiece rodimus is the superior toy, of course, i am a BIT biased that my alternator rodimus came with a broken door and my masterpeice rodimus is flawless