3D Artwork: Alternator Bumblebee

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by grimmlock, Mar 25, 2009.

1. grimmlock

grimmlock Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    ok guys, I got some car modeling tutorials and took another crack at Alternator Bumblebee. This is my third version of him and I think I get better at it with each one I do. I hope yoou guys like these vehicle shots. will have bot mode shots sometime tomorrow. I have included a few renders of the previous Alt Bumblebee I did, so you can campare for yourself. Enjoy and all feed back is greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

2. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

Ooh, purty. Looks much better (and shinier) than the old model. Can't wait for robot mode piccies.

Also, what program you usin'? How easy is it to use?

3. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Looking really good. One thing I want to heavily suggest is to add an Environment map to your scene, so the car has something else to reflect off instead of just the physical background you have in your scene.

4. grimmlock

Ebay:
    Thanks for the compliment. I sarted the model using xsi 5.0 and finished it using xsi 7.0. I was able to upgrade :) 
    Like any Program it takes time to learn. There is so much you can do. IMO, it's easy and yet complicated at the same time. I have invested money in getting books and tutorials which have helped out a great deal.

Thanks Venksta. I purposely did not create a background because it's taken away from the main focus of my characters in the past. I purposely want to keep it simple. I will be working on backgrounds for a speceific scene I have in mind but that will be later down the road.

I will be working on bot mode pics today hopefully will have them up soon.

5. Venksta

News Credits:
    Since you have reflections turned on in the material, its not being used fully since there is not much for it to reflect except the model itself. With an environment map, all XSI will do is use it for the reflections on the model itself. You could turn off the Image part, so it doesn't render in the background, and just have a plain black or color background. Like for my renders I make, I always have an environment map for the model to reflect off. It makes a big difference between not having one and having one, especially for a car model. If your not sure how to add an environment map, just let me know and I'll be happy to explain. :D 

By the way, I tried XSI 7.0 out. Its really buggy for me, and even crashes when I'm working with models built in any previous versions I know they brought out 7.5. Hoping they fix the issues in it.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  6. grimmlock

Ebay:
    Yeah The same things happens to me.
    Yes explain to me how to set up the environmen map and i'll give it a try before i start rendering the next coupld of passes

7. Venksta

News Credits:
    Alright. Have the Render Panel up (3). Then under PASS, click on "Edit" and then "Edit Current Pass". In the window that pops up, click on the "Pass Shaders" tab. Under Environment, click "Add". Then in the file menu, open the "Environment" icon/file. Back to the previous window, click on "Environment", and hit the "Inspect" button. In the new window, add any image you want for the environment. I usually just use an HDRI scenic image, as it works well, but you can also use JPGs, BITMAPs, ect. The more scenic, the better. (HDRIs are setup as spherical, so I find them to work the best).

Once you got your image selected, under INTENSITY, change "Background" to 0. And your set.

If you don't have any images to use, try this. Just crop the button date stamp off. :) 
    http://image22.webshots.com/22/7/28/62/199872862PEjsvS_fs.jpg

Make sure that white background and floor are hidden, to help you first test the Environment out.

8. grimmlock

Ebay:
    Ok guys I did some renders of Bumblebee in robot mode. I'm not too crazy about the way the renders came out. I think it's the scene that I'm using. I think I might go back to my desert scene for now. Anyway tell me what you think about the mod itself. Enjoy.

Attached Files:

9. Venksta

News Credits:
    Looks great. One thing I feel is his mouth and nose are too low. But thats a personal preference.

10. grimmlock

Ebay:
    Thanks Venksta I like the way this mod came out better than the ones in the past. I did quick render of Bumblebee using my old desert scene an I liked the way it came out. Take a look and tell me what you guys think.

Attached Files:

11. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

Looking really good!

12. grimmlock

Ebay:
    Thanks I'm working on some more renders. Its just xsi 7 is really giving me some issues. I was happier with 5.0 to be honest

13. grimmlock

Ebay:
    ok guys, I went back and made a few changes on the model. in car mode i gave him windshield wipers and side panel turn signals. I also did some better texturing on the headlights, tires, turn signals, and rear brake lights.

in robot mode, the lighting is different and I changed the colors of the seats so he wasn't too dak around the mid section. hope you guys enjoy and I know some of you guys might be getting tired of seeing my alt bumblebee but I really love this model that hasbro never made.

Next project I am working on is the alternator Mustang but modifed. you guys will know what i mean soon.

Attached Files:

14. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Digital art monkey

Great model, but I agree with Venks regarding his face - lift the mouth and bottom of the nose up a bit, and it should be spot-on. :thumb 

15. grimmlock

Ebay:
    wierd you and venskta both agree on that cuz i used a profile shot of classic rodimus prime that Don Figueroa did a few years back as a guide.
    Can you guys tell me what to change cuz i'm not seeing what you guys are seeing. thanks

Attached Files: