Alternative to Classics Galvatron?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Excelsior Prime, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Excelsior Prime

Excelsior Prime Autobot Leader

I finally have a Generations Scourge, but now I need a Galvatron. I've read nothing but negative reviews of the Classics Galvatron, so I don't want to pay inflated prices for an inferior figure.

Are they any alternatives out there? I remember reading about Cybertron Megatron, but I understand he's pretty expensive.

Any other options?

2. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

You might be thinking of Energon Galvatron, Purple version. I've seen people say they use him as their personal Classics Galv stand in.

3. excelhedge

excelhedge Overseer of Weird

News Credits:
    I hope you meant Energon Galvatron

4. Excelsior Prime

Yeah, I meant Energon Galvatron. I knew it was from the Unicron Trilogy, just didn't know where. Thanks.

So he's a Leader Class? I guess this means he's out of scale with Classics Prime?

5. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Energon Megatron purple or something. That I hear is what's often recommended. I'm somewhat satisfied with Uni. Galv as a display alongside the superior Cyclonus, Scourge, His Armada, and Sweep.
    I just would never touch that P.O.S. to tinker with. I would get him. Transform him to robot mode. (Shouldn't be hard... just disasemmble and reassemble.). And set him on the shelf.
    You might have an interest in the Challenge of Cybertron Galvatron. I've heard that he's more sturdy. And he has a better paint scheme./

6. alfred p. sloan

alfred p. sloan Well-Known Member

I have an energon galvatron and it is way huge... He's big even for a leader class. He has a good look but poses are tough to maintain.

7. alfred p. sloan

alfred p. sloan Well-Known Member

His Armada... Hasbro should make that an official name for a very minor cyclones repaint!

8. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Universe Galvatron is really not that bad.

He's the only one who's even close to the correct scale, for one. Cyclonus is the largest of the three, who are all around the same size.

It's not a terribly well-designed toy, but I got a late-run one that dodged the QC axe. Yes, I can transform him without breaking him...it's not fun or fast, but not a problem either. One joint slipped off one time, but the same is true of my Generations Straxus.

Energon Galvatron might be a better toy (maybe...never held one) and his robot mode is pretty cool and cartoony. But his weapons are all wrong, as is his alt-mode, and from what I've seen he's expensive.

9. PikaManiac

PikaManiac Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Energon Galvatron is upscaled, the Takara version is smaller.

But yeah, get the TakaraTOMY Henkei! Henkei! Galvatron, it's really not that bad. Hell, it looks nicer than Energon Galvatron.

10. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

I think he was an Ultra. Just a little bigger then a Voyager.

He would kinda look out of scale with Deluxe Cyclonus and Scourge.

Oh really? Wow, I had no idea.

Oh yeah, there was a smaller one, wasn't there? Not sure how much that one goes for though.

11. fabexmax

fabexmax Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  12. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    You might just want to try the Univ. Galvatron mold first. Sure it's not perfect but it doesn't deserve the level of hate it gets. Hate that could be spent in armada sideswipe. He's had some recent releases I think, you could even get him cheap.

13. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

The Universe Deluxe is a flawed design, to be sure, but so long as you didn't get one with bad QC, he wasn't completely horrible.

I think he looks decent enough on the shelf next to his goons.

14. koh4711

koh4711 King of Hearts

Ebay:
    Yeah, I actually dig Universe Galvatron... I just redid my shelves to put up an 86 movie shelf, and he looks good there(though the 'Cons are seriously outnumbered.. I added Skullgrin just to make it look a little fair. I might snag the Hot Rod and Cyclonus two pack if I see if anywhere on clearance, just to have an Armada).

If you could find a suitable head, though, DOTM Shockwave might actually look kinda cool in that role, too.

15. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    im gonna use botcon SG Galvatron.

16. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Haha! nice! THAT one will stand in as my Galvatron. It would be nice if Hasbro would repaint and give that mold a new head.

As for my Galvatron head, I've seen other people make better heads than mine. I just went with a simpler solution of adding two little pieces.

17. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    I think they released the Ultra Megatron packed with Deluxe Prime. But I dont think the Ultra Gavatron was ever released in America.

18. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    The Energon mold and the Superlink mold are not the same. Energon used the leader sized figure while Superlink used an Ultra class size instead; the Superlink version of the mold is about 33% smaller then the Energon Leader version. It wasn't just smaller though, it had all the alterations to work as a smaller figure, including the larger fist holes, larger energon chip attachment points, etc.

Superlink Galvatron and Energon Energon Megatron figure are the same exact figure, one was mass released in Japan, the other was a TRU exclusive in a twopack with Deluxe Prime. Superlink Galvatron G is the redeco in purple.

Energon Megatron was very slavishly redecoed as Energon Galvatron who aped G1 Galvatrons deco.

19. Excelsior Prime

^^^So there's a smaller, purple version of Galvatron released in the U.S.? How hard is this guy to find?

20. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I was thinking of suggesting him as well. Just need to wait until I get mine in hand to know for sure. I'm not the biggest fan of the Live Convoy mold, but I think it's a great fit for the character.